Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith anyone?

phishisthegreatstuff

He is a free agent. Maybe we can get him for cheap and if he sucks could be our backup. The guy must have talent if he was the 1st pick in the draft... Maybe a fresh team is all he needs. Plus shanny is good at molding qb's. Thoughts?

Alex Smith does have some tools and his early success was fueled by Norv Turner.

I would have nothing against him coming in to compete.

thanks-but-no-thanks.jpg

QFT Seriously this is even a thread?

Why waste the time or gas to fill up Redskins1?

This guy was given every opportunity to succeed in a system with a good running game and even had a decently talented receiving core this season. We need to move away from other team's garbage and concentrate on building our own players through the draft and the ones currently on the roster.

This guy was given every opportunity to succeed in a system with a good running game and even had a decently talented receiving core this season. We need to move away from other team's garbage and concentrate on building our own players through the draft and the ones

currently on the roster.

His career rating is 85. I Think he could be a very good qb...

---------- Post added January-16th-2011 at 12:52 AM ----------

If anything, I'd make a go at Palmer if he's available this summer. Smith has had 6 years to prove he's worth a damn, and failed to do so.

Palmer has never been the same since that knee injury in the playlets vs the steelers

Alex Smith does have some tools and his early success was fueled by Norv Turner.

I would have nothing against him coming in to compete.

Imo if Shanahan made a move for Smith it would be similar to what he did with Jake Plummer...If you look at it Smith and Plummer kind of mirror each other in terms of their career arc's...Both first round QB's, Both enjoyed moderate success with their drafted teams but could be considered busts, both were widely considered mediocre to bad QB's around the NFL, both QB's have quick feet, and are very athletic in the pocket and out...

I would not be against this move at all, Smith would not come with a high price tag, he's young, and he has a lot of tools to work with...

This guy was given every opportunity to succeed in a system with a good running game and even had a decently talented receiving core this season. We need to move away from other team's garbage and concentrate on building our own players through the draft and the ones currently on the roster.

I am curious how Alex Smith has had every opportunity to succeed. His first 5 years in the league he had new offensive coordinators, he played through half of 2007 with a separated shoulder and missed the 2008 year with a shoulder injury. The past two years he has posted decent numbers 14 TD 10 INTs this past year and 18 TD's 12 INT's the year before. Now he certainly isn't the best QB in the league but to say that he was given every opportunity to succeed is just plain incorrect. He was drafted into an awful situation and mishandled by Mike Nolan but other than his rookie season and when he was playing with a separated shoulder he has been okay.

I saw a breakdown of Smith stats earlier this year watching a 49ers game comparing his completion percentage under centre and out of the shotgun. He was much better - MUCH - better out of the gun. Thats not a massive surprise as he ran a spread in College and was very successful doing it. The trouble was the 49ers were/are built to be a power running team with a big O'Line and Gore at running back. It was a bad QB scheme fit.

Smith would be worth a look by a team who run their offense mainly out of the gun or who are prepared to adjust to do so. Thats not us though.

I could see say the Patriots picking him up as a back up to Brady since they run so much shotgun in their passing attack. Smith is probably a good backup and marginal starter who in the right situation could win some games.

Archived