Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Edit)Can the Packers beat the Steelers in the superbowl?

88Comrade2000

Packers have one thing the Jets don't have. A better offense. I think the Pack can win, and I'm rooting for them to. Pack have a pretty nasty defense also, slightly better than the Jets.

---------- Post added January-24th-2011 at 12:51 PM ----------

Saw my first Steelers bandwagon fan on the way to work. "Brand New" Squeeler flags flying on both sides of the car. Sheesh, it isn't even 24 hours since they won and I had to witness that crap here in Rock Hill, South Carolina. Squeeler fans are becoming as annoying as the fans of other bandwagon teams.

I think "****roaches" are an appropriate nickname for these fans. They're just everywhere.

Anyway, my recipe to beat the Steelers D is to throw deep early. Ike Taylor and Gay are suspect. Polamalu loves to help with the run in the Inverted Cover 2 and we saw Ryan Clark get smoked, which I think can be repeatedly exploited. The deep routes essentially end up being man coverage and, as mentioned, their corners are beatable. Keep tight ends and backs to pick up blitzes.

I think "****roaches" are an appropriate nickname for these fans. They're just everywhere.

Anyway, my recipe to beat the Steelers D is to throw deep early. Ike Taylor and Gay are suspect. Polamalu loves to help with the run in the Inverted Cover 2 and we saw Ryan Clark get smoked, which I think can be repeatedly exploited. The deep routes essentially end up being man coverage and, as mentioned, their corners are beatable. Keep tight ends and backs to pick up blitzes.

I think that's the recipe for disaster. Throwing deep allows their rush time to get home and Taylor is a great one on one defender. (He gave up a TD to Holmes because he fell down). Also, you are allowing Polamalu to play center field to a large degree.

What the Steelers have trouble with is a short rhyhm passing game. Brady and Brees both killed their defense this year, and I'm not sure either of them threw a pass longer than 10 yards. They play a ton of zone - even though they aren't grade zone defenders. (They make up for it by being very good tacklers). Generally speaking, the softs spots are always outside the hashes in the 5 to 7 yard range. And the quick throws neutralize the pass rush more than anything. You just have to be willing to be patient and you need a very accurate QB.

LeBeau's defense basically makes a bet with you that you can't complete 8 passes before he sacks you, causes a turnover, or you commit a penalty. Because you aren't going to run the ball and you probably aren't going to throw deep.

I think that's the recipe for disaster. Throwing deep allows their rush time to get home and Taylor is a great one on one defender. (He gave up a TD to Holmes because he fell down). Also' date=' you are allowing Polamalu to play center field to a large degree.

What the Steelers have trouble with is a short rhyhm passing game. Brady and Brees both killed their defense this year, and I'm not sure either of them threw a pass longer than 10 yards. They play a ton of zone - even though they aren't grade zone defenders. (They make up for it by being very good tacklers). Generally speaking, the softs spots are always outside the hashes in the 5 to 7 yard range. And the quick throws neutralize the pass rush more than anything. You just have to be willing to be patient and you need a very accurate QB.

LeBeau's defense basically makes a bet with you that you can't complete 8 passes before he sacks you, causes a turnover, or you commit a penalty. Because you aren't going to run the ball and you probably aren't going to throw deep.[/quote']

Accurate analysis, especially of the success that Brady and Brees enjoyed. But after the Pats game, Lebeau started taking away some of the dink passes, using more press coverage.

That being said, Rodgers still was able to find time last year to go deep against us way more than Brees or Brady. He was able to avoid the rush very well, only was sacked once.

I really expect a high scoring game, probably in the 30s for both teams. I'd rather see a defensive struggle, but both QBs are tough to stop in domes/artificial turf

You're right, Taylor is fast but he never/rarely makes the play. I think that's part of the "mystique" of the steeler's defense. No one dares to hold the ball and take chances deep on them.

LeBeau knows he gives up stuff underneath because of the blitzing. And he's willing to concede that because he believes he has good open field tacklers. FWIW, I think you have to challenge 'em by taking shots deep. The Pack has speedy receivers. Both the Jets and Ravens have tried to go toe to toe and slug it out with the Steelers.

Should be a good game. Green Bay refused to put Chicago away and then Pitt did the same with the Jets. I think Rodgers and Roethlisberger will both be better comeback QB's if somehow they find themselves down 14+ so really anything can happen.

I want Green Bay to win and for Rodgers to light it up but for some reason I expect the Steelers to win, kinda like how I just expect the Redskins to lose to the Giants every time we play them. Something always goes wrong for us or right for them and it's the difference in the game. Usually with the Steelers it involves the refs.

You're right, Taylor is fast but he never/rarely makes the play. I think that's part of the "mystique" of the steeler's defense. No one dares to hold the ball and take chances deep on them.

LeBeau knows he gives up stuff underneath because of the blitzing. And he's willing to concede that because he believes he has good open field tacklers. FWIW, I think you have to challenge 'em by taking shots deep. The Pack has speedy receivers. Both the Jets and Ravens have tried to go toe to toe and slug it out with the Steelers.

Steelers have good solid tacklers, but at the same time, the Packers have some of the best YAC receivers (can't remember, but may be highest ranked). It should be an interesting matchup to watch,

Packers have one thing the Jets don't have. A better offense. I think the Pack can win, and I'm rooting for them to. Pack have a pretty nasty defense also, slightly better than the Jets.

---------- Post added January-24th-2011 at 12:51 PM ----------

Saw my first Steelers bandwagon fan on the way to work. "Brand New" Squeeler flags flying on both sides of the car. Sheesh, it isn't even 24 hours since they won and I had to witness that crap here in Rock Hill, South Carolina. Squeeler fans are becoming as annoying as the fans of other bandwagon teams.

Yes, they are everywhere, and annoying as hell! Many women have attached themselves, of late, to Squeeler Nation. Seriously, they have become more annoying than the long-time fans.

---------- Post added January-25th-2011 at 10:12 AM ----------

This right here. Most of them are bandwagon jumpers who have had the luxury of not jumping in quite a long time and they are becoming more obnoxious every day. Getting very old to hear mouthy Steelers fans that were once Niners fans 15 years ago

---------- Post added January-24th-2011 at 08:07 AM ----------

Yep. Many women I know who never cared for football and could care less about football except in January call themselves Steelers fans. The reason why the Steelers are so popular right now is the casual fan who usually won't sit through a football game without friends at a bar or party have all gravitated to PIT. Their fanbase has grown bigger than Dallas' and have gotten just as' date=' if not more, obnoxious. The Steelers have only had like 3 sub .500 seasons in the last 18-19 years. All it will take is 3-4 lean years and that balloon will deflate.

Look at the Packers and Steelers both in the 1980s. Neither team was very successful for many years in the mid to late 80s and their fanbases were small.[/quote']

I believe many of those women wanna be attached to a winner and have something to talk about at work; family or friend gatherings; or on Facebook. They are following their spouse, boyfriend or just a platonic or regular friend (male or female) and it's like the en vogue thing to do.

I've seen some people who casually follow the regular season and now sprout out of the woodworks come January. If, the Steelers game isn't televised locally then they aren't gonna go to a sports bar to watch it. Casual. I believe many of the newly acquired bandwagoners were once former 'Niner, Redskin and Cowboy fans. I'm almost willing to bet the majority of 'em were once fans of those respective teams.

My late father use to say, "Everybody loves a winner." He was on the money when it comes to the bandwagon fans. Let me tell you this little story.... I use to work with some dude about 10-11 years ago. He barely talked about football. The only time I really remember him talking about football was during the Super Bowl. Otherwise, that was about the gist of it. I ran into him a year or so ago and he's talking about the Steelers. He's on Facebook with Steeler paraphernalia all throughout his den and wearing it, as well. LOL Comical!

This is one of several reasons why I hate the Steelers. I hope the Packers bury those bums!

One reason why the Jets lost is they didn't do what got them there. Run the football. They tried to pass way too much in the first half. Even if you only get 2 yards on 1st and 2 yards on 2nd down, it puts you in a makeble 3rd and 6. The Jets tried to pass on first down and found themselves in 3rd and long too often. Don't tell me you can't run the ball against the Steelers, because in the second half, the Jets started running the ball and scoring. You have to stay patient with the running game against Pittsburgh.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel justified in my comments two weeks ago, about the Packers needing to challenge 'em deep and getting success.

---------- Post added February-7th-2011 at 08:43 AM ----------

Case in point... my wife and her family claim to be Steeler fans. Wore their gear last night. Mind you none saw any games until the playoffs (no reg. season). Last night cared so much about the game that they spent it chatting, washing dishes, etc... only to occasionally check on the score and lament how "we're still down?" They have hard core fans, but they have a lot of "fluffy hanger-ons"

Archived