Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Auburn Player we should be looking at - Byrum (Kicker) (MET AND LEARN FROM IT PLEASE)

ryanwade21

With so many holes and so many quality players Im not going to say who or what position we should take with our 10th pick cuz honestly theres a great deal of players that would help tremendously. However Watching Auburn and looking at this guys stats, K Byrum seems to be an unflappable reliable kicker.

He has 6 game winning Field goals including one in the National championship game

He seems to be extremely reliable and has a strong leg (long of 52)

We need a kicker bad

I just dont know where we would take him. We dont have that many picks and should we use one on a kicker? how high of a pick should we use? A reliable kicker could have won us atleast 2 or 3 more games in the past 2 years (I know Saints and Buccaneers) .So what does Skins nation think? Should we grab this guy?

Eep. Depends on whether we can recoup some of our other picks because, as much as we need a kicker, if we could score more points so that our wins didn't always come down to field goals, that'd help a lot.

There's no guarantee about kickers just like there's no guarantee about some other players. As much as Gano's misses frustrate me, not all of them have been his fault. Keep in mind we go through punters (and by extension, placekick holders) like a fat kid goes through candy. It's probably messing with Gano's head a bit. This isn't a very kicker-friendly environment. If we could find a solid punter that's also a good holder and keep him for a couple of years, it might help Gano's confidence.

I actually wondered where that guy would get drafted. I wouldn't be against using a 6/7th rounder or something like that one him. I don't want to pick him earlier, but he does seem consistent and he has a good leg, very clutch.

I wouldn't cry if he were on the Skins next season.

EDIT:

Actually, I was surprised their HC was going to let him kick the game winner with 10 seconds left on the clock, rather than give his RB and Newton another shot at it. Showed how much confidence the HC has in him. Short kick or not, that was the game right there.

I actually wondered where that guy would get drafted. I wouldn't be against using a 6/7th rounder or something like that one him. I don't want to pick him earlier, but he does seem consistent and he has a good leg, very clutch.

EDIT:

Actually, I was surprised their HC was going to let him kick the game winner with 10 seconds left on the clock, rather than give his RB and Newton another shot at it. Showed how much confidence the HC has in him. Short kick or not, that was the game right there.

Yeah after the game the coach was talking about him and said every day they put him on the field and tell him its a game winning kick and they have a bunch of people yelling and doing random stuff to try and distract him and appareantly he hasnt missed one yet. The coach said as long as its within reason he is making the game winning kick

Do you think we could trade up to get him? Obviously I'm just kidding. We have far too many holes to spend a pick on a kicker. If he falls throught he draft I'd be fine with bringing him in as an UDFA but that's about it. I'd much rather see a vet come in to compete (and most likely beat out) Gano. Young kickers are rarely successful.

Ohhhhhh NOOOOOOOOOOO GANO

Anything will be better then keeping him next year, The kicker sucks and I don't say players suck normally. But Gano bites hard. The man has a ZERO percentage on the year for FG's made over 50+ yards, and is under 70% for FG's made between the 30 and 39 yard lines on the season. His accuracy is terrible and multiple times he cost us games. The arguement that kickers sometimes "turn it around so have patience" is weak sause to me. I'd be down with using a 7th rounder on a new young kicker but doubt we need to use a draft pick on one. There are always options in FA. If we keep Gano another year you can write it down and take it to the bank we will all look back on that decision as one of the nails that eventually seals Shanny's fate here. Gano needs to go

EDIT:

Chizik wanted to have enough time on the clock to try another FG in case of a bad snap, etc. If they ran one more play and did not get into the endzone they would have probably been down to about 4 seconds, and I'm not sure if they had anymore timeouts either?

Chizik wanted to have enough time on the clock to try another FG in case of a bad snap, etc. If they ran one more play and did not get into the endzone they would have probably been down to about 4 seconds, and I'm not sure if they had anymore timeouts either?

There was 10 seconds left, and initially Auburn's FG team came out because the clock was going to start running once the ball was set (because RB Dyer ran it and was ruled down at the 1) which would allow Auburn to run the last 10 seconds off and kick the FG and leave no time left on the clock as well as what you state about having enough time in case of a bad snap. Oregon had 1 timeout left, Auburn had 2 left.

Had the coach gone for a FG with 10 seconds left, Oregon would have had 7 seconds or so for a final play on kick return.

Oregon called a timeout when the FG unit came on so they could have those 7 seconds left, plus it would goad Auburn into running 1 more play, which at least gives the opportunity to force a fumble. Auburn ran the last play and then used 1 of their 2 remaining timeouts to stop the clock with just 2 seconds on it, ensuring the clock ran out as the FG was made.

EDIT:

I was REALLY surprised that they didn't just kick it with 10 seconds remaining and instead ran it down to 1. Muffed snap or some other goof, they would have got another shot at it.

A clutch kicker?! No way! We need sexy picks here that people can fantasize they will become bigtime stars though will most likely be cut. Almost all NFL kickers all have the leg. It is whether he can come through under pressure is the difference. This kid sounds like he could be good in later rounds.
Funny you mention clutch...Gano kicked 3 OT FGs for us.

But also cost us a couple games. Missing 2 field goals from the red zone is just beyond mind boggling. Clutch is Vinateiri. Clutch is Mosely. Gano I would consider the Kicker version of schizophrenia; You never know who is going to show up.

True, Gano seems more 50/50 when it comes to game winning FGs.

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 08:00 PM ----------

I was REALLY surprised that they didn't just kick it with 10 seconds remaining and instead ran it down to 1. Muffed snap or some other goof, they would have got another shot at it.

I don't watch a ton of college football, mostly because the BCS has finally ruined it for me, but I figured he'd put the ball in the hands of his Heisman winner and team leader instead of letting the (normally) "fickle" foot of a college kicker decide the outcome. That's all I meant.

Normally, it seems like coaches, especially college coaches, distrust their kickers, or at least they used to. Just impressed me when it happened, especially with 10 seconds left and the ball that close to the end zone.

If we were to take a college kicker, I'd want Alex Henery from Nebraska. The kid's a BEAST. He went 18-of-19 on FGs this year (the one miss was blocked), going 2-of-3 over 50 yds (long of 53). He was also the Huskers' punter, punting 69 times for an average of 43.2 yds/punt (with a long of 69). How often do kickers like this guy come around??

If you're looking at kickers, then there are better. For instance the kid out of Nebraska Alex Henery, has a long of 57 yards and he also punts with a 41.4 average. Not bad when you're looking for guys who can do more than one job.

Or for punters, how about a punter who kicks also? Matt Bosher of Miami (The U) 50 of 50 PAT; 51 punts, 42.5 avg., 23 punts inside the 20; 45 kickoffs, 57.4 avg., 6 touchbacks.

When a kicker goes down, it's nice to have the backup already in uniform.

Archived