Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: Would you sacrifice the 2011 draft for 2012

ZRagone

I was thinking about this last night and while its unlikely to occur, I'd love to get the feeling of other Skins fans. Would you be willing to sacrifice the 2011 draft, through trades, in order to get a stacked 2012 draft.

Here would be my scenario. Trade away this years 1st for a 1st the following year and either a 2nd. These trades aren't that uncommon, and I think sitting around the early middle of the first round will be a good spot for us to make such a trade.

Then attempt to trade our #2 and the pick we got in the previous trade to nab a teams #1 and #2 next year. Again, this years #2 for next years #1 isn't unheard of, which means an additional #2 for another #2 is good value for the other team.

Next, see if we can trade our two 5ths this year for a 3rd or 4th in 2012. We go worst case and say a 4th. Similarly dump the 6th and 7th round picks we have for a 5th in 2012.

Finally, we know the market is iffy for Haynesworth and may not be great for McNabb. So instead of searching for a 2011 draft pick, see if we could manage a 2012 instead. 3rd for Haynesworth (Since people were wanting to do 4th in 2011) and a 3rd (hopefully with conditional up to a 2nd) for McNabb in 2012.

This would completely kill off the 2011 draft for us. However, it would give us the following for 2012.

1st - Three

2nd - Two

3rd - Three

4th - Three

5th - Two

6th - One

7th - One

That'd be 8 picks in the first three rounds, with 15 picks total. These would also be picks that would hopefully be coming AFTER the Rookie wage scale that has a good chance of being in the new CBA goes into affect, making it so that those picks aren't as outrageously expensive as they would've been in previous years. It would also give us plenty of draft pick fire power to move around if need be, possibly looking at a 2nd and 3rd combination to move up for ANOTHER 1st rounder.

We have been hearing for some time now that the 2011 Free Agent class is going to be one the best, deepest, and largest of all time. Due to the labor dispute we could be seeing 4th and/or 5th year players becoming free agents this off season. This opens the potential for far younger players to be picked up in free agency who potentially have starting experience and actual NFL tape on them. To me, this would be the prime year to bail out of the draft in order to pump up the following years. You have young guys all over the league that are hungry, have actual NFL tape, and will still be relatively inexpensive. Use this extremely robust free agent crop to fill in the holes that we have for the time being and set up for 2012 to be the true rebuilding year. I think we could still field a competitive team with good evaluation of this free agent class.

With 13 draft picks in the first 5 rounds the Skins could conceivably revamp their team, filling holes both on offense and defense and having a young core that could all grow together.

The one change to the above I would possibly state would be if there was a QB we thought could be had in the 2nd, or in the later rounds, that we would want to draft this year to groom. Someone like a Cam Newton in the 2nd or an McElroy in the 5th. I would say in that case grab them, but continue the rest of the plan, changing where your trades are as needed.

So what would the rest of you fans say. Would you be willing to focus primarily on this unique FA class for 2011 and forfiet this years draft to potentially have a significantly large and front loaded 2012 draft class?

Often draft picks take time to develop. Sometimes 2-3 years. Also each year's draft crop is unique, some more talented than others.

I'd be for getting younger and trying to get picks for anybody except Orakpo, Landry, Trent Williams. But not trading draft picks in 2011 for 2012. Too many holes to fill and we need time to do it.

only if we evaluated this draft as particularly weak, then like belichick, I would support trading down as much as needed to stockpile more picks... but I would not support a blind strategy that is geared towards 12's draft without regard to the quality of the talent pool in 11's draft...

YES. We may not even have a season... load up for 2012... why draft a bunch of guys in 2011 only to lock them out?

If that is the case, then everyone will know it and try to do the same thing. The value of 2011 picks will plummet, so there will be no real benefit to the trading back a year.

What we need to wait for is mid-January when underclassmen have to declare. If they all declare, we will probably have a season, and should draft from the talented pool there is. If they don't, we probably are looking at a lock out.

Another good indicator in the next few weeks will be if coaches are fired. If lots are, thats a pretty good indication that owners believe that a new CBA will be reached.

A lot of the 1st rounders this year for 2012 1st and a 2011 2nd type trades are closer to the back 10 of the 1st round (if memory serves correctly). If we trade back (maybe a Ingram trade?) and are sitting around 25, I'd consider the future pick. I wouldn't trade both 2nds at that point unless the players I want were taken and any trade scenarios didn't offer other picks this year.

I think the value of Haynesworth and McNabb will be down, but adding 2012 conidtional picks would be a wise move. Maybe adding a pair of 4th round picks for 2012. Extra 1st and 3 4ths would still be 11 draft picks and allow us to draft 5-8 players this year. We need to start adding players that fit Shanny's O and Haslett's 3-4.

Why don't we actually use our picks instead of trading away picks for more picks unless those picks are in this draft. I understand wanting to keep your draft picks, I don't understand wanting to trade your picks for next year's picks just to have more picks next year. The draft is all about gambling, trading away your picks this year so you can gamble next year doesn't add up to me.

I think the 2012 draft could be more interesting. I am not that excited about this years players.

Just some names that could be in that draft:

Alshon Jeffrey, WR, SC

Trent Richardson, RB, 'bama

Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, 'bama

Manti Teo, LB, ND

Nick Foles, QB, Arizona

Blain Gabbert, QB, Mizzou

Kirk Cousins, QBm Mich. st

Matt Barkley, QB, USC

Landry Jones, QB, Okl

Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers

Rashard Hall, FS, Clemson