Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting to clear cap space

wilco_holland

I am glad that you all aren't the GM of this team because you want to cut all of the talent out of the team and replace it with what? Not all of the guys listed are the problem with this team but you rather keep a Perry Riley because he cost less even if he isn't performing at the level of a London Fletcher. Most of these guys will still be here. I think that Daniels, Holliday, Kemo and Haynesworth will probably be all gone because of age and character issues more than money. Portis, McNabb, Carriker and Cooley are going to still be here with the remaining ones up in the air with a 50/50 chance of being here next year. I think that we will see a lot of things go down in FA and some wheeling and dealing done in the draft. McNabb will be here competing with Grossman for the starting job and maybe we draft a guy for the future. If we draft him in the first then McNabb is surely gone.

Seems like you're going to be one of the fans that will be heart broke this offseason. To be great is to recognize when change is necessary. Whether you liek it or not, change will happen.

---------- Post added December-22nd-2010 at 12:11 PM ----------

The problem is Fletch doesn't fit the scheme and niether does Rocky. We have the worst defense in the league for a reason...Cut ties with Fletch and Rocky. Sign a guy like Harris and let Henson and Riley fight it out in camp for the other starting LB spot.

On Portis...You don't pay an RB 5 mil per year to be the last guy on the depth chart. Its time for him to move along.

Replacing Fletcher??? Doesn't fit the scheme?? lmao....You can't replace fletcher dude. He's playing at an extremely high level. I say this man is one of the only veterans we need to keep. I doubt he is going anywhere. He is too knowledgeable, too much of a leader for this defense, comes up in clutch moments way too much. I know you remember how many times Fletch has dropped back in pass coverage when necessary and broke up passes to TEs. London needs to STAY.

As for Rocky, Cooley, McNabb, Portis, Albert, Rabach, Ma'ake, Dockery, Carter, Hicks....try to get what picks you can by trading them or just cut them. Hopefully we can sign and trade Moss as well. Trade him to a competitor like the Jets or the Saints or something.

I am glad that you all aren't the GM of this team because you want to cut all of the talent out of the team and replace it with what? Not all of the guys listed are the problem with this team but you rather keep a Perry Riley because he cost less even if he isn't performing at the level of a London Fletcher. Most of these guys will still be here. I think that Daniels, Holliday, Kemo and Haynesworth will probably be all gone because of age and character issues more than money. Portis, McNabb, Carriker and Cooley are going to still be here with the remaining ones up in the air with a 50/50 chance of being here next year. I think that we will see a lot of things go down in FA and some wheeling and dealing done in the draft. McNabb will be here competing with Grossman for the starting job and maybe we draft a guy for the future. If we draft him in the first then McNabb is surely gone.

I don't think you can say with 100% confidence that Portis and McNabb are going to be here. Portis hasn't stayed healthy the past couple years, plus Torain has become a good back. McNabb has been benched for Grossman and would cost $10 million if we keep him. What gives you the idea that he will still be here?

I think this year is the best year to get rid of any and everybody that would not be here for the long haul. There will be A LOT of FAs this season due to what happened last season. So i'm prepared for major changes this offseason. I love some of the players on the "may get cut" list. But i have to prepare to see them go.

Replacing Fletcher??? Doesn't fit the scheme?? lmao....You can't replace fletcher dude. He's playing at an extremely high level. I say this man is one of the only veterans we need to keep. I doubt he is going anywhere. He is too knowledgeable, too much of a leader for this defense, comes up in clutch moments way too much. I know you remember how many times Fletch has dropped back in pass coverage when necessary and broke up passes to TEs. London needs to STAY.

If he's playing at such a high level, then isn't that when you should trade him? The Redskins are rebuilding. What good will he be to us when we are finally in contention years from now. You don't think a team, who is making a run at the Super Bowl right now, could use him? You don't trade him only if you don't think he's worth much to other teams. If the team could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for Fletch, then they should trade him.

Well Goodell has come out and stated that a CBA could be reached by the Super Bowl if things work out right, if that happens and the cap does come to around 130 million then these numbers are very important, but right now with no CBA you guys are right

Being of the die-hard optimist sort, I hope they do get it worked out and these numbers mean something.

Unfortunately, I don't have any optimism that it will be worked out any time soon. Both sides seem prepared to stand their ground.

~Bang

• RB Clinton Portis: -$5,645,500 Cut...too old, too injury prone, trips easily on blades of grass or in light crosswinds.

• LB London Fletcher: -$4,900,000 Keep and try to restructure contract. Hes old but still a tackling machine.

• QB Donovan McNabb: -$4,750,000 Trade and try to get as many picks as possible.

• CB DeAngelo Hall: -$4,400,000 Keep, hes been ball hawk this year and quality CBs are hard to come by.

• DT Albert Haynesworth: -$3,400,000 Trade and try to get as many picks as possible.

• C Casey Rabach: -$3,000,000 Restructure if possible and look for replacement in the draft, quality centers are hard to come by as well.

• NT Ma'ake Kemoeatu: -$2,500,000 Give him one more year, if it doesnt work out cut him next year.

• OG Derrick Dockery: -$1,565,000 Cut him

• DE Adam Carriker: -$1,420,000 Keep, hes a blue collar worker.

• OG Artis Hicks: -$1,400,000 Cut and look for replacement in draft.

• DE Phillip Daniels: -$1,250,000 Keep him, old but heart and soul in locker room and can still hold his own.

• DE Vonnie Holliday: -$1,250,000 Cut.

• TE Fred Davis: -$555,000 Trade for picks.

• DE Andre Carter: $2,909,998 Cut or trade for picks if available, we need speed at the LB position.

JMHO

As for Rocky, Cooley, McNabb, Portis, Albert, Rabach, Ma'ake, Dockery, Carter, Hicks....try to get what picks you can by trading them or just cut them. Hopefully we can sign and trade Moss as well. Trade him to a competitor like the Jets or the Saints or something.

If Fletcher is playing at such a high level why is this defense last in the league? I'll admit he's one of our better players but you guys are highly overrating him. He wouldn't fetch any better than a 5th or 6th rounder at most. What exactly makes you think he fits the scheme? He is constantly getting eaten alive in the run game bc of his lack of size.

I'm wondering about the conditional pick thing too. We still owe the Eagles a conditional pick and I'm wondering if the benching/demotion impacts that pick?

Actually with him not playing the final 3 games we give the Eagles a 4th rounder not a 3rd rounder. The 3rd rounder will go to the Saints instead of the Eagles.

I love Fletcher, but I wouldn't cry if we go with Riley and Henson in the middle next year.

He is and always has been one of my favorites in the league, but if you can replace him, with a guy like Harris (Jets), who knows the 3-4 very well and can mentor Henson and Riley, I think it would really be an improvement.

I hated typing that.

While its true that these numbers don't mean anything, its always fun to play this game.

• RB Clinton Portis: -$5,645,500--Goodbye SouthEast Jerome. Unless he's willing to restructure you are costing way too much for as injury prone as he's become. Great blocker, still a decent back but a shadow of his former self.

• LB London Fletcher: -$4,900,000--Very difficult to imagine our defense without him. Sure he's out of position in the 3-4 and he's too small (though he's always been) but he's still the captain and heart & soul of the defense. I expect him back.

• QB Donovan McNabb: -$4,750,000--Goodbye. You've been classy but overall ineffective. Great numbers yardage wise but he just doesn't fit in this system and I'm not sure everything is kosher behind the scenes...to put it lightly.

• CB DeAngelo Hall: -$4,400,000--Just under 4.5 million is quite a bit but he's still young and a play-maker at corner. He'll get burned at times when he bites but he's the only guy with sure hands on the defense.

• DT Albert Haynesworth: -$3,400,000-- :rotflmao:

• C Casey Rabach: -$3,000,000-- Seems like a good guy off the field, but he's garbage in the middle of the line.

• NT Ma'ake Kemoeatu: -$2,500,000-- Seems to be totally ineffective, has gotten little to no push but apparently he's been hampered by the Achilles and shoulder injuries. I'd rather see a younger guy in the NT spot but keeping him around as a veteran presence wouldn't be horrible.

• OG Derrick Dockery: -$1,565,000--Shanny apparently has no use for the big guy. He's gone.

• DE Adam Carriker: -$1,420,000--He's one of the only guys among the LB/DL that truly fits in the 3-4. He'll be here.

• OG Artis Hicks: -$1,400,000--Could definitely use an upgrade at RG, and it seems like we'll get the same production out of younger guys in his spot.

• DE Phillip Daniels: -$1,250,000--Just went on IR and he's going to be 38 next year. This team needs a youth movement. I appreciate what he's done but its time for the big guy to hang it up.

• DE Vonnie Holliday: -$1,250,000--I've hardly heard his name all year and he's 34. Not expecting to see him around.

• TE Fred Davis: -$555,000--No reason why he wouldn't be here. Everyone is clamoring for him to get traded but honestly you won't get a damn thing for a guy that hasn't really done anything in the NFL. One decent season last year when Cooley was out doesn't mean we'll get enough value for him.

• DE Andre Carter: $2,909,998--AC is probably trade bait. A very effective 10+ sack DE in the 4-3, he's lost in the 3-4.

Trade Santana Moss to Indy for a draft pick or two!! What do you think we could get frrom them? I think we could get more than what you think b/c they're clearly desperate after losing collie for the season. Would you do it? I know I would in a heartbeat.

No one is going to pay more than a fifth for Moss

• RB Clinton Portis: -$5,645,500

• LB London Fletcher: -$4,900,000

• QB Donovan McNabb: -$4,750,000

• CB DeAngelo Hall: -$4,400,000

• DT Albert Haynesworth: -$3,400,000

• C Casey Rabach: -$3,000,000

• NT Ma'ake Kemoeatu: -$2,500,000

• OG Derrick Dockery: -$1,565,000

• DE Adam Carriker: -$1,420,000

• OG Artis Hicks: -$1,400,000

• DE Phillip Daniels: -$1,250,000

• DE Vonnie Holliday: -$1,250,000

• TE Fred Davis: -$555,000

• DE Andre Carter: $2,909,998

if im correct that would push us around at min 59.3 mill roughly? of course im sure this is wrong anyone got a figure around the players i say cut or trade?

• RB Clinton Portis: -$5,645,500

• LB London Fletcher: -$4,900,000

• QB Donovan McNabb: -$4,750,000

• CB DeAngelo Hall: -$4,400,000

• DT Albert Haynesworth: -$3,400,000

• C Casey Rabach: -$3,000,000

• NT Ma'ake Kemoeatu: -$2,500,000

• OG Derrick Dockery: -$1,565,000

• DE Adam Carriker: -$1,420,000

• OG Artis Hicks: -$1,400,000

• DE Phillip Daniels: -$1,250,000

• DE Vonnie Holliday: -$1,250,000

• TE Fred Davis: -$555,000

• DE Andre Carter: $2,909,998

if im correct that would push us around at min 59.3 mill roughly? of course im sure this is wrong anyone got a figure around the players i say cut or trade?

I believe that would be around that number just doing the quick math on it, wow talk about a lot of room to make some good moves in the offseason and shore up our weaknesses there and then continue to shore them up in the draft

I believe that would be around that number just doing the quick math on it, wow talk about a lot of room to make some good moves in the offseason and shore up our weaknesses there and then continue to shore them up in the draft

that's literally 60 mill to reinvent this team.. which can be done...

Shaun Ellis - I know hes old but id pay him a 1 year contract and let him and our Rookie 3-4DE share some time together.

Davin Joseph - RG of the Future and the only lock i see as a FA for us this year

Ryan Kalil - Great Center

Paul Soliai - Best solution i see for a NT hes at the point in his Career where he is about to become dominant imo id throw some good cash his way.. 1 domino in building this defense.

Johnathan Joseph or Vincent Jackson (depending on his Franchise Tag) either one of those is a luxary sign either one could drastically change this team whether it be the lock down corner allowing us to draft great pass rushers to get to the QB.. or the WR who makes this Offense with the help of the Oline much much much more versatile. My Pick mostly likely would be Johnathan Joseph.

Imagine a Defense with Ellis-Soliai-Orakpo-Bailey-Houston-Heyward-Sturdivant-Joseph-Hall-Landry-Fletcher that defense is 10xs better and younger than the one we have now.. add in Rowe and Mathews from Oregon and Taylor from Baylor and its a DEEP rotation with so much youth.

that type of talent just has me DROOLING waiting to see that on the field.. only weakness i see now would be FS and i would try Barnes there..

Yep you're right because spending big bucks on "proven vets" in FA has won us so many games in the past.

i forgot who was running that show in the past? ill wait.. assuming that everyone that you potentially might sign that has a "big name" to them will fail is a very bad road to go down, shows that you most likely will settle for mediocrity from a player.. if the new FO is smart enough to fit the player into our scheme and use him well UNLIKE THE PAST then there should be no problem.. imo thats most of the reason why those players failed.. because the front office just signed them without really thinking.. now we have a stable front office that make decent enough moves nothing like another Albert move.

i forgot who was running that show in the past? ill wait..

Oh! I know! A man, who upon reflecting on his time running this once proud franchise, probably said the following:

qRYoUbVw40Q

P.S.,

There's no way I would cut Fletcher. The man is a workhorse, who besides being one of our few Free Agents that panned out, shows no sign of slowing down at the age of 35.

Archived