Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Insider: (via Twitter): Redskins add RB Shawnbrey McNeal to practice squad

terrifNick21

He transferred to SMU from Miami because his mom was ill and in Texas. He didn't transfer for negative reasons and was granted his release by Randy Shannon due to compassion for the ailing mother. He was decent at Miami as a freshman, but he didn't see much PT. He did pretty well at SMU.

Seems like a natural cut-back runner from that video.

Also, seems like we're looking at every available RB out there. That can't bode well for the confidence in our current roster RB's. Wish we'd do the same for offensive lineman.

And so 2011 training camp begins now.

I remember the Chargers were really impressed with him in camp. Not expecting much out of any of our young RBs but it's nice to have young depth guys as opposed to the Ladell Betts/Larry Johnsons of the world.

This. Myself and a few others were clamoring to give this guy a PS spot earlier in the season, as he really impressed the Chargers. I read multiple reports that they wanted to keep him around to become the next Sproles (very similar skill set, although McNeal is taller :ols:). Then he became a victim of the numbers game, and even when Matthews went down for them, it made no sense to bring him back, because they already had Sproles lighting it up. Too similar. And they still had WR questions and injuries.

And now here he is. I'm excited about the possibility of a REAL 3rd down back, not that I don't like Williams' hands. That's his best attribute. But anyone who saw Sproles a couple of weeks ago on Sunday (Monday?) night football knows what I'm talking about.

I'm happy to see us bring in young hungry speedy backs. Williams and torain are decent but not the answer. Hopefully we give these young guys (mcneil, davis) next training camp so we can see what they can do with some run blocking

depends on how you look at it... K Williams and Torain are better for the hard yards and goaline sets and 3rd down blockers while Mcneal is more of a speedy Sproles type of back

edit: also, I havent seen enough of Davis to comment on him yet but he seems like hes more of a power back as well

Yes! I had been calling for the skins to pick him up ever since the Chargers decided to cut him in the preseason. I even started a thread where I pushed McNeal as a potential in season solution.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?335216-Potential-in-season-RB-help

Note: ConnSKINS26 was also a big advocate of McNeal in that thread.

Hopefully he shows some flashes and we can see him on the field before the end of the year.

depends on how you look at it... K Williams and Torain are better for the hard yards and goaline sets and 3rd down blockers while Mcneal is more of a speedy Sproles type of back

edit: also, I havent seen enough of Davis to comment on him yet but he seems like hes more of a power back as well

Yes agree they are more powerful backs which is why they aren't the answer long term they have no big run threat.

I haven't seen much of mcneil but I've seen plenty of james davis at clemson and he is a mixture of power and speed. He's faster than torain and williams but not as fast as mcneil.

I've been sayin for years that we need to get some young fast backs here instead of betts and rock as backups...glad to see us moving in that direction.

Yes! I had been calling for the skins to pick him up ever since the Chargers decided to cut him in the preseason. I even started a thread where I pushed McNeal as a potential in season solution.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?335216-Potential-in-season-RB-help

Note: ConnSKINS26 was also a big advocate of McNeal in that thread.

Hopefully he shows some flashes and we can see him on the field before the end of the year.

Yup, I remember specifically going back and forth with you talking about Shawnbrey earlier in the season, possibly in a different thread than the one you posted. Would be sweet if he impressed.

Still, going into training camp with this youth on the team, plus whoever else we bring in:

Torain

Williams

Davis

Simpson

McNeal

Pretty awesome.

Now we just need our OC to actually attempt to run the ball.

Kyle gets away from the run quicker then Mike Martz.

And we'll never know what we got until we actually give a RB a meaningful amount of carries.

Agreed. Especially in close games :doh:

That's the only way to reliably control the clock, with McNabb's inaccuracy and our WR's drops killing drops.

Archived