Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are some of the players lacking heart?(Meged)

brettstr

after Monday, I was under the assumption that Shanahan and the Ref's were paid off. And every team will honestly lack some heart. The real heart is in the 12th man. We pay our hard earned money to watch these guys, at the end of the day, they are still millionaires and can laugh all the way to the bank... its all a show

I try not to think negative. I know there are a lot of negative attitudes here after this loss.

When I was a kid a few years ago, I saw the redskins as a team that fought hard, I didn't really analyze each person on the team..

However, now I feel most players come here just for the money and expect to do terrible. How are we to ever win with this mindset? There is no confidence and there STILL seems to be none even with shanny.

The defense looks as bad as last years offense. I don't get how we go from a top 10 defense to bottom last in one year with the same players.

Honestly, this team needs to be plowed and redone. The main reason for this is because of the player and franchise attitude imo. With a new look and new players, perhaps we can forget the past.

Honestly, the only players that show they care on this team seems to be:

-Mcnabb

-Rex Grossman

-John Beck

-Trent Williams

-Fred Davis

-Chris Cooley

-Santana Moss

-Brian Orakpo

-Laron Landry

-London Fletcher

-Rocky

-Anthony Armstrong

-Mike Sellers

-Lorenzo Alexander

-Brandon Banks

-H.B. Blades

-Reed Doughty

-Ryan Torain

-Nick Sundberg

-Gano

-Hunter the Punter

That's really IT. Out of the whole team imo that's really all that shows pure effort.

I don't put hall on here because he doesn't show sportsmanship at all. Trash talking, thinking he is in command, and not sucking up injuries (see last game)

A true player goes out there every snap and gives it their all. That's what they're paid for.

Hell, even Gano shows more heart. When Jackson fumbled the ball on a kickoff last game, you saw #4 SPRINT to the ball, trying to get it!

In my opinion, those 20 players should stay.

The rest of the 32 can leave. Bring in Austin, Capers, and Cook. Rookies have heart, it shows from williams. Use Perry Riley too more! Kid has power

I'm not sure I understand this thread. The team has played hard most of the season. One blowout loss and they suddenly don't care?

It seems to me that they were shell-shocked against the Eagles. The first TD by Jackson set the tone for the entire night. Without that play, the blowout probably never occurs.

These things happen from time to time, even on teams with legit, across-the-board talent.

Its not that they don't care. Its that they're not good.

DING! That's it. We have overestimated the value and talent level of our team, as our FO has done year after year. The pieces we needed to fill on the OL/WR and other spots couldn't be filled because FA pool was dry and we did pretty good with what we had in the draft.

We're not good this year, but I think the players have played with more heart than they have since Gibbs was here.

EDIT: Wow, Warhead beat me with the "Ding" by 3 minutes. Curse my slothlike slowness!

They got caught up in a whirlwind Monday night. Before they could blink it was 21 - 0 and they were gasping for air. The offenses inability to complete on 3rd down is killing them.

I think that if they Redskins offense could of had a long, TD scoring drive on the one immediately following the 88 yard Jackson TD to start with the game could have been different. But they trot out there and go 3-and-out allowing the hot hand immediately back on the field. Then you have a ball go off the hands the hands of Moss due to both a slightly inaccurate throw by McNabb and Moss not making much of a play on it to kill another drive. Again, it was 14 - 0 at that point and if the offense could have made a sustained TD scoring drive it would have been different.

I am not trying to place all the blame on the offense but there was very little time to make adjustments when you give up 35 points in about 15 minutes.

You are right about the "Just don't care" attitude. The reason we went from #10 to the cellar dwellar in defense is largely in part of the scheme we changed to and the coach running it. You go from the 4-3 with very little turnovers to a 3-4 with players not suited for the scheme and more turnovers. The difference is they don't know the scheme as well as they need to and they aren't doing things on instinct. Most of the problem is no accountability for the mistakes and it spreads. A good example of that is the Wade Phillips firing in Dallas. He was fired because they just gave up and lost respect for Wade's easy attitude. The environment needs to change and the mindset needs to change. Until then it won't get better no matter who you bring in.

You are right about the "Just don't care" attitude. The reason we went from #10 to the cellar dwellar in defense is largely in part of the scheme we changed to and the coach running it. You go from the 4-3 with very little turnovers to a 3-4 with players not suited for the scheme and more turnovers. The difference is they don't know the scheme as well as they need to and they aren't doing things on instinct. Most of the problem is no accountability for the mistakes and it spreads. A good example of that is the Wade Phillips firing in Dallas. He was fired because they just gave up and lost respect for Wade's easy attitude. The environment needs to change and the mindset needs to change. Until then it won't get better no matter who you bring in.

So they cared up until Monday night? What happened to make them not care?

I was 5 rows behind the skins sidelines in the Eagles game, some observations many of which are pure extrapolations so i might be wrong, (reading body language isn't a perfect science):

Shanny looked intense -- was studying the photos of the formations the Eagles were using -- he seemed to be very annoyed but focused

Haslett -- seemed laid back city through out the drubbing, if the rout bothered him then he would have to have a great poker face -- to my eyes it struck me that he was resigned to the loss and was trying to take it in stride.

Phil Daniels seemed the most pissed off

London Fletcher seemed to be the guy that wanted to do something about it, kept huddiling with the players.

D. McNabb took a few glances at the Eagles sidelines and watched their celebrations. Didn't seem up or down, hard to read.

Orkapo -- seemed upset

D. Hall seemed upset

Laron Landry -- for a guy who plays intense, he didn't seem to be bothered on the sidelines throughout the game, even saw him laugh a couple of times.

On offense, the only guy I noticed that seemed really upset was Cooley. though I couldn't really see the offense as well as the defense from my vantage point

Okay, so most agree we lack heart. The question is: why? I think the answer is we refuse to build a program from the ground up through the draft. When a player comes up through the system they have more heart, IMO. Pit, NE, Phi, Indy, and even NO have the blueprint for how to build a team through the draft. We refuse to follow the blueprint everyone else follows and Monday's was a manifestation of this. It is my belief the team will continue to get worse until the philosophy changes. I thought it was going to change last offseason with Bruce and Shanny...it didn't happen. The coaching improved, but the win now philosophy continued. You sign DMcNabb for a 2-3 year window to make a run. The problem our team needed a 5 year rebuild. That's terrible internal scouting and knowing your own roster. Remember, NO got Brees and Payton 5 years ago and it took them 5 years to build up the roster and win a superbowl.

Archived