Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2010 Redskins vs Eagles (Final)

NoLeafClover

ES Coverage: 2010 Redskins vs Eagles

11/15/10

sellers111510.JPG

BEATDOWN!!!!

Eagles 59 - Redskins 28

:helmet:

Hello everyone and welcome. I am your host, Joel, and I'm joined, as always, by murf. We're coming to you live from FedEx Field, where the eyes of the nation will once again be upon our fair city as the Washington Redskins take on division rivals the Philadelphia Eagles in a primetime matchup. (Let's hope that, unlike another NFC East team that shall not be named, the Redskins can at least manage to keep the power on for the whole game.)

Much like the previous match-up between these two teams in Week 4, once again all eyes are on the two starting quarterbacks - Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick. In that game, McNabb was clearly the victor. To start the day, he was actually cheered by Philly fans as he took the field, which proved to be a good omen as he lead the 'Skins to a hard fought 17-12 victory. Vick, on the other hand, was knocked out of the game with two broken ribs, forced to sit on the sidelines and watch as his team bumbled away a chance at victory.

Vick will certainly be motivated to get his revenge on Washington. But equally motivated will be McNabb, who (in case you missed it) was benched in the final two minutes of the Redskins 35-27 loss to the Detroit Lions, a decision which has led to two weeks of drama and uncertainity swirling around McNabb and Coach Mike Shanahan. In a somewhat surprising move, earlier today the 'Skins locked McNabb into a five-year contract extension, making it clear that they do have faith in their aging quarterback and that his benching was ultimately just a minor road bump in what hopes to be an impressive career with the 'Skins. Of course, to truly put the past two weeks behind him, McNabb simply needs to go out tonight and soundly thwart his former team.

Quarterback drama aside, tonight's game proves to be an important one for another reason as well. With the Giants loss to the Cowboys yesterday, a Redskins win tonight puts them in second place in the division, just one game behind New York. It would also give them another divison win, which could prove to be important as a tiebreaker when playoff time rolls around.

That being said, this game is far from a certainty. Sadly, as murf said on Twitter earlier today, the Redskins are just 3-10 since 2000 during Monday Night Football games.

TONIGHT'S INACTIVES

Redskins:

Kevin Barnes

Clinton Portis

Chad Simpson

Perry Riley

Derrick Dockery

Anthony Bryant

Jeremy Jarmon

John Beck (Third QB)

Eagles:

Chad Hall

Nate Allen

Ellis Hobbs

Daneil Te'o-Nesheim

King Dunlap

Reggis Wells

Garrett Mills

Mike Kafka (Third QB)

7:24 PM - So Portis is inactive tonight. Can't wait to see what hat he's wearing when the cameras cut to him on the sidelines.

7:34 PM - For TK - Coach Mike Shanahan is 10-4 following a bye week.

7:46 PM - From Murf's Twitter: With 2 touchdowns tonight, Joey Galloway can match Harold Carmichael and Charley Taylor ... who am I kidding. I've got a better chance.

7:59 PM - The 'Skins are rocking the snazzy burgundy jerseys and gold pants look again tonight, for you fashion-conscious fans out there.

8:06 PM - During warm ups, the Redskins and Eagles players just got in each other's faces. Not sure what caused it, but emotions are definitely running high leading up to this one.

8:08 PM - From JimmiJo's Twitter: McNabb money: Both sides tried to get as close as they could to $16 mil in his pocket THIS year. BUT $41 mil overall guarantee is ACCURATE.

8:17 PM - The oversized helmet has been inflated and the band and flag-holders are standing by. We are getting close, ladies and gentlemen.

8:31 PM - Keiland Williams was announced as the starter tonight and word is that trainers have been tending to Ryan Torain. Not good news, especially with Chad Simpson inactive.

8:33 PM - They may have cheered for McNabb in Philly, but the home crowd here at FedEx just got electric when his name was announced. He definitely got the biggest pop when he came out.

8:35 PM - Billy Ray Cyrus is singing the National Anthem tonight. I just placed my right hand over my achy breaky heart.

8:40 PM - The Eagles won the toss and have elected to receive ...

8:40 PM - On the first play of the game, Michael Vick connects on an 88-yard touchdown pass to DeSean Jackson. Yes, that really did just happen. 0-7

8:53 PM - After a three-and-out by Washington, Philly drives down the field with efficiency. A five play, 63 yard, two minute and 34 drive ends with a seven-yard run by Vick. This one is getting ugly fast. 0-14

8:54 PM - I accidentally typed "rum" instead of "run" in the above update. Clearly, my brain is telling me something. If only they served alcohol in the press box.

8:58 PM - McNabb with an interception on third down. I take it back - I'm now openly wishing for the stadium to lose power.

9:05 PM - Vick with a shovel pass to McCoy for an 11-yard run. That six play, 37-yard, three minute and 50 second drive puts the Eagles ahead 0-21. There are still five minutes left in the first quarter. This is just depressing.

9:10 PM - The Eagles already have 193 yards of total offense. The Redskins ... um ... do not.

9:13 PM - From Murf's Twitter: The biggest casualty of this pitiful start? Redskins wasting a great crowd. FedEx was rocking all the way up to kickoff.

9:16 PM - Lots of missed tackles as Jerome Harrison breaks a 50-yard run for another Eagles touchdown. Three plays, 77 yards, one minute and 34 seconds. Dear God, we are still in the first quarter. 0-28

9:18 PM - Fittingly, it's now pouring down rain.

9:20 PM - Another three-and-out for Washington. Is it too early for Philly to start taking a knee?

END OF FIRST QUARTER

0-28

9:23 PM -Amusingly, the fans loudly cheer as the quarter comes to an end.

9:23 PM - If the Eagles keep up this pace, they are on track for 112 points and 1120 yards of total offense.

9:24 PM - Michael Vick is now the second leading rusher among NFL quarterbacks, officially passing Steve Young and trailing only Randall Cunningham.

9:29 PM - Just nine seconds into the second quarter, Michael Vick connects on a 48-yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Maclin. The Redskins challenged the catch, but you can imagine how that turned out. This epic drive was three plays, 58 yards and just 57 seconds. If this was the UFC, they already would have called this one. 0-35

9:35 PM - Fred Davis with the first sign of life tonight! A 71-yard pass from McNabb puts the 'Skins on the Eagles three-yard line.

9:36 PM - Darrel Young with a three-yard touchdown catch. The Redskins are finally on the board. Two plays, 74 yards, 36 seconds. 7-35

9:42 PM - And Sav Rocca gets out on the field for the first time today ...

9:45 PM - A 76-yard pass to Anthony Armstrong puts the Redskins back in the red zone. Apparently their plan all along has been to loll the Eagles into a false sense of security. A bold strategy, certainly.

9:47 PM - Donavan McNabb with a six yard pass to Keiland Williams. A

three play, 81-yard drive lasting one minute and 24 seconds. The Redskins continue to tighten up the gap. 14-35

9:55 PM - Brian Orakpo and Andre Carter with a big sack on Michael Vick. The crowd has come back alive.

10:04 PM - Capitalizing on a Redskins interception, Michael Vick high steps his way into the end zone on a six-yard touchdown run. Five plays, 28 yards, one minute and 34 seconds. 14-42

10:19 PM - David Akers connects on a 48-yard field goal. Five plays, 33 yards, two minutes and 15 seconds. 14-45

HALFTIME

14-45

Little known fun fact: In addition to being a ridiculous score after one half of football, 1445 is also the year the papacy's Council of Florence came to an end.

10:42 PM - An eight play, 56 yard, three minute and 33 second drive ends with a four-yard touchdown run by Keiland Williams. 21-45

10:47 PM - Tackle Jammal Brown has a head injury; his return is questionable.

10:52 PM - The Redskins go 0-for-2 on challenges. It's that kind of night.

11:04 PM - With all the time in the world, Michael Vick connects with a three-yard touchdown pass to Jason Avant on third down. 11 plays, 71 yards, five minutes and 12 seconds. 21-52

11:06 PM - Still six minutes left in the third quarter. This is the longest game ever.

11:09 PM - Dimitri Patterson picks off Donavan McNabb's pass and returns it 40 yards for a touchdown. Suddenly I find myself wishing pro football had a mercy rule. 21-59

END OF THE THIRD QUARTER

21-59

That's right, there's still a whole other quarter left to play.

11:09 PM - A 32-yard touchdown run by Keiland Williams. If nothing else, he's putting up good fantasy numbers. Seven plays, 84 yards, two minutes and 48 seconds. 28-59

PHOTOS

5180422793_60af88de89_o.jpg

To see a slideshow of ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

To see the complete set of ExtremeSkins game photos click HERE

AUDIO

To listen to comments from Anthony Armstrong click HERE

To listen to comments from Lorenzo Alexander click HERE

To listen to comments from Chris Cooley click HERE

To listen to comments from Phillip Daniels click HERE

To listen to comments from Fred Davis click HERE

To listen to comments from London FLetcher click HERE

To listen to comments from Kedric Golston click HERE

To listen to comments from Albert Haynesworth click HERE

To listen to comments from LaRon Landry click HERE

To listen to comments from Brian Orakpo click HERE

THE NEW GUY'S TAKE

"We got our butts beat. We didn't score no points."

- Anthony Armstrong

"We didn't play well. We got outplayed, we got outcoached."

- London Fletcher

"It was an awful loss. The score was just awful. We gave up too many points. We gave up too many yards."

- Kedric Golston

"They beat our ass, man."

- Brian Orakpo

Oy.

The only good thing you can say about this game is that, mercifully, it's over. Then again, it was basically over after the first play of the game. Michael Vick connected on an 88-yard touchdown pass to DeSean Jackson and the Redskins never recovered.

The Eagles scored early and often. They put up 35 points in the first 15 minutes and nine seconds of the game. By the end of the first half, Philadelphia had 45 points and 425 yards of total offense. At the end of the game, the Eagles had 592 total yards (332 passing and 260 rushing), 59 total points and a 100% red zone efficiency. Michael Vick completed 20 of 28 passes for 333 yards passing, four touchdowns and a near-perfect passer rating of 150.7. Vick also had eight rushes for 80 yards and two rushing touchdowns. Donovan McNabb managed 295 passing yards and two touchdowns, which sounds impressive until you realize he also had three interceptions and a passer rating of just 69.4.

After two weeks of quarterback drama, it seemed that everyone at FedEx Field tonight was ready to put the McNabb/Shanahan drama behind them. The team gave McNabb a five-year contract extension earlier today, showing their faith in him and securing his future with the organization. The fans in attendance cheered the quarterback loudly as he made his entrance onto the field, showing they were solidly behind him as the game began. After having two weeks to game plan against his old team, McNabb himself seemed poised for a statement game.

But I'm guessing this wasn't the statement the team was hoping to make. At home on national television, the Washington Redskins were decimated. They were completely embarrassed. It was a thorough beatdown that started early and never relented.

I feel bad for the fans here in attendance tonight. They were clearly fired up leading into the game. People in this town love this team and were ready and willing to cheer them on on a Monday night. Their reward for their optimism was a horrible prime time sucker punch ... in pouring rain, no less. Normally, I get frustrated when fans leave a game early. Tonight, I'm amazed anyone bothered to stay to the end.

It's a Washington Redskins team that continues to bewilder. They seem to continue to take one step forward, then two steps back. They are a team truly capable of anything. They are capable of beating teams in games they are counted out of and of losing games that should be winnable.

So with their franchise quarterback locked up for the next five years, the Redskins look ahead to a tough road game in Tennessee next week. It's a long, tough road ahead for them. And for their long-suffering fanbase.

Is that Murf guy a real person or just a figment of yours and JimmiJo's imagination?

Hmmm, maybe he's my Tyler Durden. He is a big fan of soap, outlandish outfits and spouting off words of wisdom. And he did hit me in the ear once.

Thanks for the comment. You've definitely given me a lot to think about tonight.

Is that Murf guy a real person or just a figment of yours and JimmiJo's imagination?

If you actually show up in Tennessee next week, then you'll see me - whether you like it or not.

BTW, speaking of figments of imagination...where's Art at?

Maybe TK or Jumbo can load the Art program back into the server?

:silly:

Anyone familiar with "Art" knows he only appears in Dallas - just on the off chance he can celebrate once again in their press box once again.

Archived