Wuerffel, Watson Among Roster Cuts

TK

Wuerffel, Watson Among Roster Cuts

08/30/2003

McCullough Earns Spot

With Strong Preseason

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Head coach Steve Spurrier said after practice on Saturday morning that quarterback Danny Wuerffel and running back Kenny Watson are among the players who will be released tomorrow.

The Redskins will make a formal announcement listing all the players who will be released. The team must reduce its roster to the NFL-mandated 53 players by 4 p.m. on Sunday.

Seventh-round draft pick Gibram Hamdan was also cut, according to Spurrier.

"We hope to sign Gibran back to the practice squad unless somebody else picks him up," the head coach said.

The Redskins will go into the regular season with a running back corps of Trung Canidate, Ladell Betts, Chad Morton and undrafted rookie Sultan McCullough.

McCullough emerged into the picture after a solid preseason in which he showcased impressive bursts of speed. He led the team in pre-season rushing with 102 yards on 24 carries (4.2 yards per carry). He also registered a key special teams tackle in the pre-season finale at Jacksonville.

Extra Points

-- Zeron Flemister has regained the starting tight end spot, Spurrier said. During the preseason, Flemister had started the first two games while second-year player Robert Royal started the Baltimore game. The Redskins opened in a three wide-receiver set without a tight end in the Jacksonville game.

-- Larry Moore practiced this morning and is expected to start at center in next Thursday's game against the New York Jets. "He was moving around very well," Spurrier said. "He should be close to full speed for the Jets game."

Well, straight from the horse's mouth there. S.S. apparently believes that Sultan has more, gads/gasp "potential" than Watson at this time. That and Hue likes the kid. DW,(if true), going should just about take care of those DW/Johnson debates and the requisite "name bashing". :) Least for DW. :D Of course, S.S. has now provided plenty of ammo for the upcoming "What? Flem starting? Is He nuts?!!!!!!!!" posts/threads to come. :)

:cheers:

Just read the post again, it says Danny is on, and Hamdan is the only one cut. We DIDNT EVEN GIVE HAMDAN A CHANCE!!????!

Cowsette is also cut according to the post.

This is one of the worst cut days in the history of our franchise. I have never seen so many mistakes. Cutting Watson was dumb he's a team player. This is gonna be a huge distraction for the game this week. This is the dumbest move we've made in a long long time.

Just read the post again, it says Danny is on, and Hamdan is the only one cut. We DIDNT EVEN GIVE HAMDAN A CHANCE!!????!

Not sure which post you are reading but the article on redskins.com clearly says "Wuerffel, Watson Among Roster Cuts."

WTF is our 3RD QB?

Originally posted by Skins26

Cowsette is also cut according to the post.

This is one of the worst cut days in the history of our franchise. I have never seen so many mistakes. Cutting Watson was dumb he's a team player. This is gonna be a huge distraction for the game this week. This is the dumbest move we've made in a long long time.

I don't like the Watson move, but its not as bad as all that Skins...we have a lot of talent at RB regardless. What is the d@mn deal with Redskins.com though? How can they put the 'DW is gone' statement out there when there's been no public mention of this as a possibility to date, and when the WP and other media outlets don't even hint at it? I mean, to be blunt, WTF!!!! Its not like its a minor issue...he's the potential #2 QB on the team. Very bizarre.

It appears the plan is to go with 2 QBs and keep Hamdan as the 3rd on the practice squad. There were a couple of occasions where Gibbs only carried 2 QBs on the active roster, so it's not unheard of. This should free up an extra LB or DB spot to hang on to a young special teamer, so it's not that bad of a move.

I would rather keep Hamden with the team than on the PS. He has a lot of learning to do and I think he would get more out of being on the team vs on the practice squad.

Oh well. I'm not going to moan about it.

I'm really sick of all the whining and second guessing lately. As addidcted as I am to this board maybe I should take some time off till next week.

:doh:

I agree. You all are losing your minds. We will have three QB's. Ramsey, Johnson and Hamden. You have to waive someone before you can put them on your Practice Squad, and I doubt anyone will pick up Hamden. So if god forbid Ramsey or Johnson gets hurt, you either activate Hamden from the PS or sign Wuerffel.

I actually like the move.

Archived