WP: Watson May Miss the Cut

Zen-like Todd

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1863-2003Aug29.html

Watson May Not Make Cut

Rookie McCullough Could Earn Roster Spot Instead

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, August 30, 2003; Page D01

On the day after Coach Steve Spurrier said he expected Trung Canidate to enter the regular season as his starting tailback, Washington Redskins officials were leaning strongly yesterday toward keeping rookie Sultan McCullough on the season-opening roster instead of Kenny Watson as one of Canidate's backups.

According to sources, the Redskins were strongly considering having Ladell Betts and McCullough back up Canidate with help from kick returner Chad Morton. Barring a last-minute reversal, sources said, the Redskins were prepared to trade or release Watson.

Team officials apparently were convinced that another club would snatch up McCullough, an undrafted free agent from Southern California who has impressed the Redskins with his speed, if they release him with the intention of re-signing him to the five-member practice squad next week. NFL teams must reduce their rosters to 53 players each by Sunday. Club officials huddled yesterday at Redskins Park to make their remaining decisions and intensify preparations for Thursday's opener against the New York Jets at FedEx Field.

The main preseason battle for a starting job ended in relatively anticlimactic fashion following Thursday night's 17-15 loss at Jacksonville, with Spurrier saying he planned to go with Canidate against the Jets. The Redskins began training camp last month saying that Canidate would get the first shot at the starting job but holdovers Betts and Watson also would vie for the position. Betts and Watson were slowed by injuries in camp, though, and neither made a serious push to win the job. Betts said yesterday at Redskins Park that he had not been told how the playing time would be divided.

"I have no clue," Betts said. "They haven't said much. My understanding is that Trung's the starter. I don't know where it goes after that."

The Redskins sent a fourth-round draft choice to the St. Louis Rams in February to obtain Canidate, 26, because they coveted his explosiveness. The former first-round draft pick had fallen into disfavor with Rams Coach Mike Martz, and he never had proven that he has the durability to be a team's featured runner in the NFL.

But he is a potential game-breaker who had 195 rushing yards and two touchdowns against the Jets in his first NFL start in 2001, subbing for an injured Marshall Faulk. And the Redskins wanted a big-play threat in their backfield after last season's mismatch of Spurrier's passing-oriented offensive system and the power running style of former Pro Bowl tailback Stephen Davis, who was released following the season and signed with the Carolina Panthers.

Canidate held on to the starting job this preseason not because of any eye-catching long runs, but because of his relative sturdiness. He averaged only 3.6 yards per rushing attempt in his three exhibition games, with 57 yards on 16 carries, and didn't have a run longer than 12 yards. But he provided two rushing touchdowns. And while Betts missed most of training camp with a sprained elbow and Watson was bothered by a mild knee sprain, Canidate stayed on the practice field. He didn't complain when he was hit hard by safety Matt Bowen early in training camp, a play that drew a reprimand from Spurrier.

After the defeat to the Jaguars, Spurrier all but named Canidate the starting tailback for the Jets game, saying: "We'll have to evaluate that. But I would guess right now that he would probably be the first one to go out."

Morton also was ensured a roster spot from the outset. But his primary duties are on special teams, and he said yesterday he is not certain how much playing time he will get on offense.

"It'll probably be week to week," Morton said. "I don't know how much I'm going to play. I'll probably get some chances on third downs and some specialty plays."

McCullough was the leading rusher in the four-game preseason, with 102 yards on 24 carries, and Spurrier said repeatedly that he wanted to squeeze McCullough on to the 53-man roster.

The Redskins seemed to be holding out some hope yesterday of getting a draft selection by trading Watson, a former undrafted free agent who had two 100-yard rushing performances last season while Davis was hurt. Watson, 25, was the team's second-leading rusher last season with 534 yards, but the club spent the offseason trying to get faster on offense. The Redskins surrendered two low-round draft choices in recent trades to obtain defensive tackles Martin Chase and Lional Dalton, and would like to get one back.

The Detroit Lions need a tailback after losing starter James Stewart to a dislocated shoulder. Their top healthy tailbacks currently are Shawn Bryson, Autry Denson and rookie Avon Cobourne. The New Orleans Saints have been looking for a backup for Deuce McAllister and spoke to the Redskins recently about Betts and Watson, although they seemed primarily interested in Betts. As a second-round draft pick last year, Betts has considerable trade value, but the Redskins seem intent upon keeping him.

Spurrier entered training camp saying that the Redskins likely would have room on their season-opening roster for only three tailbacks. But he relented, and club officials said recently they planned to keep four tailbacks. At the time, the plan was to have McCullough on the practice squad and Watson on the roster alongside Canidate, Betts and Morton. But McCullough's play led the club to reconsider.

Well fact is Betts has way to much trade value to release, and if the skins wanted to deal him, it would have been done already. Fact is McCullough toughness, speed and attitude will have as much as Watson's release as anything. I like Watson, and hope he gets picked up by a club that can put him to good use. Fact is however that Cannidate, Betts, McCullough, and Morton probably give us one of the most diverse backfields in the entire league. Add to that Cartrights good short yardage play this preseason, and this move would probably yield the best backfield set that we can hope to put on the field.

Well I guess Bulldog and I (and maybe a few others) will be the only ones mourning Watson if this proves to be true. I'm bookmarking this one guys, so I can come back in a few years and show you how dead on I was about Kenny Watson. Big mistake to let him go IMHO. I know we probably can't keep 5. But I think its a dubious call to keep Sultan over a steady performer like Watson. We've been living on unfulfilled promises for years, and I don't like the odds that we're right about Mccullough after seeing him for a couple of months. I also hate the message it sends.....work your @ss off, overachieve, play your guts out, and be prepared to be cut loose.

Oh well.

Agreed Tarhog, but really Watson's main undoing was that he was undrafted, and all to regular of a back. In alot of ways its not to hard to find backs like Watson in the league....the fact is they are really never given a chance. Watson last year got a great opportunity last year with Davis hurt, and Betts being witheld do to the fact that he was a rookei and slow to learn the system. This year is may turn out the Watson is done in by a numbers game, and the different abilities of the other backs.

Originally posted by rdogblue

Agreed Tarhog, but really Watson's main undoing was that he was undrafted, and all to regular of a back. In alot of ways its not to hard to find backs like Watson in the league....the fact is they are really never given a chance. Watson last year got a great opportunity last year with Davis hurt, and Betts being witheld do to the fact that he was a rookei and slow to learn the system. This year is may turn out the Watson is done in by a numbers game, and the different abilities of the other backs.

I'm not down on Canidate, Betts, even Mccullough. But I agree its primarily his UDFA status thats put him behind the power curve, and I find that maddening. The fact that the guy can play, is a gamer, and has arguably outplayed Betts, a 2nd round pick clearly indicates he never should've gone undrafted in the first place. At the very least, Watson is Betts equal on the field, and seems to be more durable. So why draft position comes into play, I will never understand (unless we were going to work a trade for one of them vs. just releasing them). If we were smart, we'd have made this bias work for us by trading Betts (even if we only got a 4th or 5th round pick for him, it beats what we get by releasing Watson - nothing). Don't understand (if we never intended to keep all of them) why we'd just give Watson away.

Of course, all discussion here is moot. They'll do what they feel is best and have most likely already decided.

I really like Watson. I too wish him very well shoudl this happen and hope he gets picked up by a good club that he can really help. NOT DALLAS OR PHILLY OR NEW YORK THOUGH!!!! I want to see him go to like Detriot, thatd be good for him! I want them to pick him up, pleaaase Detriot! They need a guy. Or New Orleans would be okay with me too. I wish Kenny a whole lot of luck and hope he can make his way in this league. I've meant him a few times and really think he's a really really nice guy.

I still think the best decision for the team would be to trade Betts and keep Kenny. But if they dont get a good enough offer for Betts i guess i can see why they have to do this. Sultan has earned his spot on the team so i'm alright with that. I ****ing hate cutting time man this sucks. Why cant we just be allowed to have like 70 players, whats the problem with that.

Good luck Kenny. At least we gave him a chance, now that he's in someone will pick him up i hope.

girls or lions makes more sense. He** it's worth it for the girls to get watson to get our playbook. In cincy he would be behind Dillon. The lions obviously need someone as latest says Stewart out for 6 weeks. This all works in our favor - the more that want him the more likely we could get something for him. If waived, cincy would have first crack, then lions, then girls, then NO.

Originally posted by Tarhog

I also hate the message it sends.....work your @ss off, overachieve, play your guts out, and be prepared to be cut loose.

Oh well.

Or... The message could be that even if you are a UFA with a bad rap, if you keep your nose clean, work your but off and show the coaches something you can make the team, even if it is already stocked at your position.

Is the glass half empty or half full?

IMO it's half full. :pint:

Originally posted by RF4L

Sultan's in. He's Hue Jackson's boy, remember?

There may be some truth to that. The scouting reports, which were universally hideous regarding Sultan, have been proven to be garbage and its Jackson we have to thank for picking the guy up.

But if he makes the team it will be that sizzling hit he made on ST that makes him "in".

hmmmm...interesting. I really tought Watson was pretty quick and proved his worth in a couple of those games. Sultan must be REAL fast! I don't know how to feel about all of this.

After what I read in the scouting report about his attitude, I'm wondering if it's worth keeping this kid and releasing Watson. At any rate, I think starting Trung is a good thing. I think we've got a decent offense once they really start clicking.

Thursday, Sept 4th can NOT get here soon enough!!

Always liked Watson's grit, and I too have been one of his supporters on this board. Shame to see him as odd man out, but it's good to know his hard work will land him a job somewhere. He's a talented player. I'd hope we can get a pick for him, but I don't see it.

On the other hand, it's hard to argue against keeping McCullough, the kid really has showed up well this preseason.

~Bang

The scouting reports were bull. Comming out of Highschool he had the world on his shoulders. You saw the speed the kid is faster than Bethell Johnson. His knock was his attitude witch has recieved high praise here in Washington apperently Ricky Ervings is his mentor. The best thing that happened to him was going undrafted to humble him. If his attitude was right in college he would have been Willis Mcgahee status. Watson has always been the odd man out in Penn State thats why he played Reciever he has a hell of a work ethic but still is sub par. The Grunting in practice didnt impress me at all Watson is a good kid and can be succesfull but his upside is not to good. Sultans is unreal.

Archived