Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just met Donovan Mcnabb at Potbellies in Fairfax VA

CounterTrey

He was picking up food at the location on Chain Bridge Road near the Fairfax County Courthouse.

Came in sporting a Redskin Hoodie and I asked him if we were going to win on Sunday.

Said its his biggest test yet of the year and he is looking forward to it.

Hope he lights it up on Sunday at the Stink...

Man, how do you approach these guys...

I saw DeAngelo Hall and Carlos Rogers with a couple of ladies at Chima's last night... My girlfriend kept goading me to go get their autograph but I really didn't want to bother them.

Agreed, I saw Cooley with his wife, brother, and brother's gf/wife at Ruth Chris's in Fairfax. They ate dinner right behind me but I couldn't bring myself to bothering them when he was trying to eat steak and lobster!

Agreed, I saw Cooley with his wife, brother, and brother's gf/wife at Ruth Chris's in Fairfax. They ate dinner right behind me but I couldn't bring myself to bothering them when he was trying to eat steak and lobster!

This and Bootleg's situation are ones where I would not bother them. They are out trying to enjoy themselves and don't need fanboys bothering them.

I saw DeAngelo Hall and Carlos Rogers with a couple of ladies at Chima's last night... My girlfriend kept goading me to go get their autograph but I really didn't want to bother them.

My suggestion is to use the same common sense as you would with anyone else as to when to approach them. Say hello and whatever words of support and be ready to move on. Only ask for an autograph after you are sure they aren't busy and welcome the interaction. They know people are going to approach them in public places. The key is not being rude and/or not overstaying your welcome.

Try to think of something clever or even just something simple. You can see Charley Taylor quite a bit around Herndon. Sometimes even just a "Hey, how are you, Mr Taylor" works well enough.

One time I was at Niagara Falls in the Maid of the Mist gift shop. The only three customers were Peter Frampton, his girlfriend (now Wife, IIRC) and I. We were all in-line to buy something at the same time. It was obviously him. I asked "Hey, weren't you the guitar player for Humble Pie?" and all he could do was laugh... ;)

Good call. Interrupting family or dinner is a bad idea. Doing both is beyond rude.

I saw Frampton Play here a few years ago and you could tell he was a really down to earth guy. Really warm to the audience. It was like sitting down with a buddy while they played.

The really funny thing is that when I was in high school in White Plains NY he lived in the area and went into a music shop a friend of mine worked in and he did almost the same thing you did. Only acting as if he didn't recognize him in an exaggerated fashion. He must get that a lot. :ols:

Dmac is pretty big guys....I started the convo by saying "Nice Hoodie" since it was a skins Hoodie. He was def picking up food for more than 1 person. My conversation with him lasted less than a minute because he was carrying food back to his car. I didn't want to bother him with a picture or anything else...I just wanted to see some confidence in he reaction when I asked him if were going to win on Sunday.

Truthfully I did see that, I think he's going to be pumped to win, hopefully his teammates are too.

The really funny thing is that when I was in high school in White Plains NY he lived in the area and went into a music shop a friend of mine worked in and he did almost the same thing you did. Only acting as if he didn't recognize him in an exaggerated fashion. He must get that a lot. :ols:

It was one of those moments when I had to think of something. No one else was around and I didn't want to just look like some goofy jock-sniffer or whatever. It was either something lame like "Hey, has anyone ever said you look just like Peter Frampton" or what I actually wound up saying... ;)

My experience was exactly the same. Super nice guy who treated you like you were a friend. If it was Neal Peart, on the other hand, I'd probably have stayed at the opposite end of the gift shop or just asked him what time it was... ;)

My suggestion is to use the same common sense as you would with anyone else as to when to approach them. Say hello and whatever words of support and be ready to move on. Only ask for an autograph after you are sure they aren't busy and welcome the interaction. They know people are going to approach them in public places. The key is not being rude and/or not overstaying your welcome.

I've heard you should make loud metallic sounds if you encounter a sports figure in public, but I may have that wrong.

Try to think of something clever or even just something simple. You can see Charley Taylor quite a bit around Herndon. Sometimes even just a "Hey, how are you, Mr Taylor" works well enough.

One time I was at Niagara Falls in the Maid of the Mist gift shop. The only three customers were Peter Frampton, his girlfriend (now Wife, IIRC) and I. We were all in-line to buy something at the same time. It was obviously him. I asked "Hey, weren't you the guitar player for Humble Pie?" and all he could do was laugh... ;)

Just this past spring, I stopped into Jimmy's Old Town Tavern to catch some of the NCAA tourney. Wasn't but a handful of people in there at the time. Shortly after I got there, Charley came in and sat at the bar. Since he's seen around town, as you noted, he was treated just like anyone else. We all chatted about the games goin on and had a good time. I left to go home and was waiting to cross the street to get to my car. While waiting, Charley comes up beside me and starts chatting some more. He happened to be parked at the same place I was, so we walked to our cars and chatted about the nice spring weather, the horrible winter we had gone thru, etc.

Heck of a nice guy. Needless to say, it was a huge thrill for me as he and Larry Brown were 2 of the main reasons I became a Skins fan.

I will always look back on that day and smile.

Just this past spring, I stopped into Jimmy's Old Town Tavern to catch some of the NCAA tourney. Wasn't but a handful of people in there at the time. Shortly after I got there, Charley came in and sat at the bar. Since he's seen around town, as you noted, he was treated just like anyone else. We all chatted about the games goin on and had a good time. I left to go home and was waiting to cross the street to get to my car. While waiting, Charley comes up beside me and starts chatting some more. He happened to be parked at the same place I was, so we walked to our cars and chatted about the nice spring weather, the horrible winter we had gone thru, etc.

Heck of a nice guy. Needless to say, it was a huge thrill for me as he and Larry Brown were 2 of the main reasons I became a Skins fan.

I will always look back on that day and smile.

Exactly. Charley Taylor is another super nice guy and almost a fixture at JOTT. Just saw him there Sunday at my Wife's UB alumni get-together along with Rico Martin and Scott "Wide Right" Norwood... ;)

He's a super guy and just so incredibly easy to talk to. Think about it... HoF receiver who will just chat away with you while Scott Norwood (by all means, the goat of Super Bowl XXV) acted like he was doing the greatest favor in the world just by being there. Maybe Scott was having a bad day, I don't know. Charley took a great picture with my son and me the other day. Rick Martin seemed like a nice guy and took a nice pic with my Wife and Son (she's from Buffalo), but I was hoping as a Caps fan he didn't harbor any anger toward me... ;)

Only responding b/c I actually met D. Hall a few years ago (when he was on the Falcons; maybe 2006-07) at a bar on Granby St. in Norfolk - it must have been the offseason.

I usually don't geek out when I see any athlete, so in my mind I was just like "oh there's D. Hall, pretty cool". Well for whatever reason he saw I noticed him and came up and said what's up. Chatted a few minutes, told him I went to VT too, etc. Anyhow, I didn't want an autograph or anything so that was that.

Now if they're macking on the ladies, I'd definitely not bother them (though I personally wouldn't anyways).

Monday night my friend and I went to ATR @ the Reston Town Center to watch the Packers vs. Bears game. Sitting down at a table was Perry Riley and Selvish Capers and a guy too small to be a football player (no it wasn't London or HB Blades... though I sat in front of HB Blades and his girlfriend at the theater at Reston last year)... I didn't want to bother them at all so I just sat down at the bar and watched the game. Around the end of the 2nd quarter, in walks Trent Williams, Eric Cooke, and Will Robinson. Trent sat 2 chairs down from me at the bar. Soon, a couple of girls showed up and were hanging out with them (The guys sat on the stools, the girls stood up around them lol)...

Trent didn't drink at all. Will Robinson and Eric Cooke had a couple of shots and Perry Riley and Selvish Capers were drinking a glass of white wine.

Archived