Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

This is a good read...and a hopeful glimpse of things to come:

Wizards' rookie Bradley Beal just needed a point guard

---------- Post added February-26th-2013 at 02:40 PM ----------

Zeller is one of the best scorers in the class.

I don't really care for GRIII. He's a SG playing out of position at SF because Michigan is strong at guard. He needs to go back to school IMO.

---------- Post added February-26th-2013 at 02:32 PM ----------

I think there is probably less pressure on this draft pick to contribute right off than any previous pick. The team already has a good starting 5 in place for next year and is going to be better than at any point since Wall is drafted.

I would go for upside with this pick. He can stow away and develop over a long term and come in and be ready to play when Oak/Nene are old/gone and Wall and Beal enter their primes.

Do you trust this team to develop players? I mean, Vesely is a bust, Seraphin has regressed, etc. I'd rather draft someone who can come in an contribute, rather than stash away for development purposes. Guys like Porter, Zeller, Bennett, and Oladipo can come in next year and get quality minutes off the bench and contribute. I don't want to see this team draft a player for rainy day potential. Let's maximize our draft pick(s) and make this team even deeper.

Do you trust this team to develop players? I mean, Vesely is a bust, Seraphin has regressed, etc. I'd rather draft someone who can come in an contribute, rather than stash away for development purposes. Guys like Porter, Zeller, Bennett, and Oladipo can come in next year and get quality minutes off the bench and contribute. I don't want to see this team draft a player for rainy day potential. Let's maximize our draft pick(s) and make this team even deeper.

To me, drafting for upside IS maximizing your draft picks.

The team is stabilized now. Vesely and Seraphin are still developing and now we've got the opportunity to develop them at a slower pace because we've got worthy starters in front of them finally. I like Porter and Zeller and Bennett for us in part because I think they've got high upside. Particularly Zeller. Oladipo I don't care for as a pick by us. I don't see how he ever starts over Beal.

To me, drafting for upside IS maximizing your draft picks.

The team is stabilized now. Vesely and Seraphin are still developing and now we've got the opportunity to develop them at a slower pace because we've got worthy starters in front of them finally. I like Porter and Zeller and Bennett for us in part because I think they've got high upside. Particularly Zeller. Oladipo I don't care for as a pick by us. I don't see how he ever starts over Beal.

That's one way of looking at Ves/Seraphin...Seraphin, maybe, could be looked at as someone to bring along slowly because he has shown flashes of potential. Vesely, on the other hand...meh. I wouldn't be shocked if we dangled him this summer with the hopes of getting something back.

You're 100% right, there's no way that Oladipo starts over Beal...but I think his value is through his defense. He could end up being Tony Allen lite.

That's one way of looking at Ves/Seraphin...Seraphin, maybe, could be looked at as someone to bring along slowly because he has shown flashes of potential. Vesely, on the other hand...meh. I wouldn't be shocked if we dangled him this summer with the hopes of getting something back.

You're 100% right, there's no way that Oladipo starts over Beal...but I think his value is through his defense. He could end up being Tony Allen lite.

I think we've got the luxury of time with Vesely. He's so low skill that he's probably not going to contribute much at all before his fourth year or so. But having Nene at the 4 means we won't be needing Vesely any time soon. I wouldn't trade him for nothing. I'd want something worthwhile back or we might as well just keep him ourselves and work on him long term.

Seraphin has a frustratingly poor feel for the game. Part of me wonders how much that is ever going to change. But you're right, he has shown flashes. And he's actually got arguably the most efficient hook shot in the entire league. Go figure. Too bad those aren't the only shots he takes. And too bad he's such a sketchy defender, passer, and rebounder. Nevertheless, he's got a go to move.

So does Singleton, I like that little step back mid range jumper he's shown this year. He needs to get better from 3 and better on defense. Needs to show better decision making all around. But he could really be important if he developed all those traits. 6'9 with an ability to keep people in front of him. He could be a Carmelo/LeBron guarder. You probably need that to have a chance in the East now.

Booker doesn't seem to have a lot of offensive value.

---------- Post added February-26th-2013 at 03:16 PM ----------

Re: Oladipo, I'd take him if he were the BPA but then I'd probably try and trade him. Definitely some Tony Allen in him. Maybe some Thabo Sefalosha.

Wall will get what he earns. Steph Curry money is fair for him. Wall won't get a max contract from anyone without an All Star appearance. Will Brandon Jennings get max money this offseason?

---------- Post added February-26th-2013 at 11:49 AM ----------

Whose saying that? Most people think it's an average class that lacks a clear cut #1 but it's got a lot of good players in it.

Rudy Gay and Eric Gordon did not make any all-star appearances; yet both have received max deals

Rudy Gay and Eric Gordon did not make any all-star appearances; yet both have received max deals

Actually I'm not sure Gordon has a max deal. But I understand your point. Still Gordon could easily be an AS if he ever stayed healthy. His numbers put him in that kind of category.

Rudy Gay doesn't deserve the money he gets but he's proving he's a building block that elevates his team. He's more deserving of an All Star appearance than Luol Deng at any rate. Not a max type player, but not too terrible far off. I think both of them made team USA too. I know Gay did.

John is better early in his career than either of them were anyway. So is Steph Curry. Significantly so, and he didn't get a max deal. I think John is probably going to get a similar deal to Curry. Maybe make a little more money since he hasn't gotten hurt as much.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

the all-star game is a popularity contest controlled by the fans. I get your point though. The reason these guys got max deals is because they are/were the best players on their teams and the fans would crucify the franchises for letting them go.

People need to remember sports leagues aren't all about winning championships...they are about making money as well. You can't make money if you don't sell tickets, and you can't sell tickets if the fans are pissed because their best player left (because he wasn't offered enough money to stay)

actually a lot of people were really high on Paul George for his potential. There likely will be an all-star or two in the draft...but it might not be one of the lottery picks....

I was one of those people. I don't if anyone else remembers this, but there were rumors surrounding the Pacers and they were interested in Blatche the year that Indiana had the 10th pick(which ended up to be Paul George).

I was one of those people. I don't if anyone else remembers this, but there were rumors surrounding the Pacers and they were interested in Blatche the year that Indiana had the 10th pick(which ended up to be Paul George).

don't remember that....but I can't imagine anyone trading a first round pick for Blatche anytime in his career. Paul George had a lot of hype coming out...that's how a guy from Fresno State went 10 overall.

Zeller really does look like a T-Rex when he hunches over on defense.

---------- Post added February-26th-2013 at 07:10 PM ----------

I always liked Mbakwa as a 2nd round target. He'll be ready to give solid minutes as a big man. Not a raw prospect.

---------- Post added February-26th-2013 at 07:44 PM ----------

Porter/Mbakwa/Seth Curry in the draft. Sign a vet PG that can space the floor and run the team. I'm a happy camper

don't remember that....but I can't imagine anyone trading a first round pick for Blatche anytime in his career. Paul George had a lot of hype coming out...that's how a guy from Fresno State went 10 overall.

I remember a few analysts said at the time that 3 or 4 years later he could end up being the best player from that class. Its always nice to see a player like that progress.

I remember a few analysts said at the time that 3 or 4 years later he could end up being the best player from that class. Its always nice to see a player like that progress.

I think he actually grew in the NBA. He's like 6'10 now.

---------- Post added February-26th-2013 at 08:31 PM ----------

Zeller has been a nonfactor this game. Hasn't had many touches, hasn't done a lot more than set picks and play some positional D. He's having trouble with the strength of the Minnesota front court.

Mbakwe does look good though. NBA ready strength and rebounding ability. He's a little short but so was Manimal. His legs also look a little skinny but he's pretty well put together all in all.

---------- Post added February-26th-2013 at 08:35 PM ----------

Mbakwe is 24 though. No wonder he looks so much stronger than Zeller.

---------- Post added February-26th-2013 at 08:43 PM ----------

Indiana is a really poor rebounding team. The guards are just giving up offensive rebound after offensive rebound.

Zeller looks good in pick and roll D though. He's smart.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Zeller had a rough game and some bad turnovers too. Minny went right at him with bigger strong guys.

Indiana as a whole played poorly except for that one guy who can shoot. They didn't wake up until late and by that point they had dug a deep hole. Zeller struggled with strength and Watford was almost totally invisible until the final minutes. Oladipo struggled to create off the dribble when the defense took away the right side of the court from him.

We don't need to debate about who we will drafting anymore.....Dario Saric: 17th on Chad Ford's Draft Board. 6'10, 223 SF from Croatia. I bet Ernie already has Dario and his agent on speed dial.

On another note...Bradley Beal is averaging 20pts 5 reb 49% FG and 54% 3pt% in the last 6 games. What will his stat line tonight look like? I'm going to say 25pts 6 reb

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/2/27/4035970/bradley-beal-washington-wizards-profile-rookie

Beal is shooting the same number of shots but he's learned how to approach them. Assistant coach Sam Cassell, master of the midrange game, encouraged him to focus on easier opportunities instead of thinking about that ugly three-point percentage he was carrying around.

"Last month, he really pounded on me to start going inside rather than outside first," Beal said. "And then once I started doing that, I started making my shots and then my field goal percentage went up. And then eventually I started knocking down more threes. So it's really just getting my confidence together ... It always feels good to see the ball go in the hoop and it's easier to see a midrange shot go in than a three."

Down the stretch against the Rockets, before that rebound in the final seconds, Wizards assistants remarked on how confident and decisive he looked. They saw a different guy than the one who early in the season looked over to the bench wide-eyed when an opposing team switched on a double-screen, making them chuckle at his rookie moment.

"I'm making better reads now," Beal said. "The game's starting to slow down for me, which is making it that much easier for me. And my teammates did a great job of setting me up and putting me in positions to be able to make plays happen. And it was just all a matter of time. It's just a whole learning experience and I'm starting to realize how guys are starting to play me and realizing what they're trying to take away from me and increase those weaknesses, so to speak, and try to turn them into my strengths."

Much more in the link.

the all-star game is a popularity contest controlled by the fans. I get your point though. The reason these guys got max deals is because they are/were the best players on their teams and the fans would crucify the franchises for letting them go.

Only the starters are based on popularity

We just don't play well at all against the dudes.

With Nene out, it will be interesting to see if Serpahin/Vesely see actual minutes tonight, nothing in the first quarter though.

---------- Post added February-27th-2013 at 07:52 PM ----------

Wall with another uninspired start.

Kevin Jones

‏@Mr_KevinJones

John Wall with a Jordan Crawford-esque attitude on the bench. He's been sitting for 12 game minutes

He hasn't played since his turnover run in the 1st.

---------- Post added February-27th-2013 at 07:57 PM ----------

Turns out David Falk is in attendance, bad night for Wall to **** the bed.

---------- Post added February-27th-2013 at 07:59 PM ----------

5 turnovers in a little over 10 minutes of play for Wall, he has to be better.

Ariza and Beal cooking though.