Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The Wizards don't need a small forward in Caron Butler who is on the downside of his career. That's another move that doesn't make any sense in the grand scheme of building a winner.

Same with the thought process of adding a second lottery pick next season. If anything, on draft day, the Wizards should look to trade this years pick, along with the expiring contracts that they will have, for an all-star caliber player if one is available. Since teams will be looking to clear cap space for 2014, a surprise player or two with longer contracts might be available.

Sure if it is a young guy like Harden, Im not trading our pick for a guy like Gay or Smith who are 28. So If a guy like Cousins, Love, or someone else like that is available than we should keep our 2013 pick no matter what

---------- Post added February-25th-2013 at 02:03 PM ----------

ehh I wouldn't have minded a Butler Trade. Brings more offense for sure than Ariza.... but maybe its just my 15-18 year old self in me that remembers cheering for Caron

Sure if it is a young guy like Harden, Im not trading our pick for a guy like Gay or Smith who are 28. So If a guy like Cousins, Love, or someone else like that is available than we should keep our 2013 pick no matter what

---------- Post added February-25th-2013 at 02:03 PM ----------

ehh I wouldn't have minded a Butler Trade. Brings more offense for sure than Ariza.... but maybe its just my 15-18 year old self in me that remembers cheering for Caron

You also have to remember that Caron Butler benefits from playing alongside of Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. He's getting A LOT of open looks and I'd seriously doubt that he'd be 1/4 of that effective here in DC.

Ariza knows his role and does it very well here for the Wizards...and at this point in time, he's a 10x better fit for this team.

Same with the thought process of adding a second lottery pick next season. If anything, on draft day, the Wizards should look to trade this years pick, along with the expiring contracts that they will have, for an all-star caliber player if one is available. Since teams will be looking to clear cap space for 2014, a surprise player or two with longer contracts might be available.

This is a great idea. I don't understand the logic in adding another lottery pick in a historically bad draft year. That makes no sense at all. I don't think you'd find anyone available that would be worth our expiring contracts/draft pick; but if we did find someone; I'd be all for it.

The Wizards don't need a small forward in Caron Butler who is on the downside of his career. That's another move that doesn't make any sense in the grand scheme of building a winner.

Just depends on who is available via trade and if our draft pick + players are enough to get it done. Only guy who I think would fit that bill is Demarcus Cousins. Sacto might be dumb enough to do this...but I can't see a guy like Kevin Love or anyone of that stature being available for what we have to offer.

Milwaukee has been pretty awful lately and they are currently in the 8 spot. Toronto has been on a tear as of late, but if they cool off and we stay hot, playoffs aren't out of the question for this team. Up until this point, 33/54 of our opponents were playoff teams; the rest of the way we only see 13/28 playoff team. No likely, but if we can start winning on the road, we could sneak into the 8 spot.

Milwaukee has been pretty awful lately and they are currently in the 8 spot. Toronto has been on a tear as of late, but if they cool off and we stay hot, playoffs aren't out of the question for this team. Up until this point, 33/54 of our opponents were playoff teams; the rest of the way we only see 13/28 playoff team. No likely, but if we can start winning on the road, we could sneak into the 8 spot.

We do better against playoff teams. Its the bottom barrel squads that give us the most trouble for some reason.

Playoffs are still an extreme long shot

They are 9 games out of the 8th seed with 28 games left. They would probably need to get to 35 or 36 wins at a minimum while the 5 teams in front of them cratered. That means going 20-8 the rest of the way while the Bucks go 8-20.

They are 9 games out of the 8th seed with 28 games left. They would probably need to get to 35 or 36 wins at a minimum while the 5 teams in front of them cratered. That means going 20-8 the rest of the way while the Bucks go 8-20.

Bucks going 8-20 is very realistic...I'm not sure if we can get to 20-8 though. I see us going more like 18-10.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/features/david_aldridge/02/25/morning-tip-trade-deadline-recap-kenneth-faried-stand-q-and-a-yao-ming/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt3b

DIDN'T MAKE TRADES/THEY'RE JUST FINE

L.A. CLIPPERS: The Clips stood pat, but not by their basketball people's choice. L.A. and Washington had a done deal Wednesday night that would have sent forward Trevor Ariza to the Clippers in exchange for Caron Butler. giving L.A. a long, defensive-oriented body to throw at the likes of Kevin Durant in the playoffs. (Butler, who still has an offseason home in the D.C. area, and who was loved by the locals, didn't have a problem returning to a non-Arenas Wizards locker room. He'd have been welcomed back as a much-needed offensive option, according to sources.)

But sources indicated that Clippers owner Donald Sterling nixed the deal Thursday morning, not wanting to gamble on the team's chemistry being affected in any way down the stretch.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Why didn't Okafor dunk that ball? Instead he misses an easy one close trying to go glass.

---------- Post added February-25th-2013 at 07:37 PM ----------

Not much in between with this squad, we're either really ugly or really good.

---------- Post added February-25th-2013 at 08:33 PM ----------

Poor rebounding & our turnovers are keeping thing keeping Toronto in this game.

Edited by StillUnknown

Wittman puts Temple in at the end of the game cold again, his man went right around him, but luckily he missed the lay-up.

Is Randy encouraging these awful isolation possessions by Wall? I sincerely hope not, because he is god awful at it.

I'd rather see Beal in iso, at least he has a chance at making the jumpshot if nothing opens up.

Edited by StillUnknown