Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm not opposed to trading Gil and Andray but not for Harrison Barnes.

Personally, I think he'll be a really good NBA player but not a superstar.

Then again, I could be wrong. :)

I don't think there are any superstars in this entire class outside Kyrie Irving. That kid is phenomenal, but we obviously can't take him. He won't be as good as John Wall is.

Kemba Walker would also be a superstar if he were 3 or 4 inches taller.

Outside of those two guards, I think you've got a lot of guys who can be the second or third best players on really good teams. They're guys who help you win championships, but certainly not stars.

Specifically, I'm talking about Jared Sullinger, Enes Kanter, Perry Jones, Terrence Jones, and Harrison Barnes.

Jared Sullinger could probably be our starting PF right now because he's got an NBA body and skillset and he's more skilled than Booker or Seraphin are. But I feel like he'd just be superfluous. We'd need to get rid of Blatche first, because Sullinger can only play PF. He's not long enough to play center and he's too big and slow to play on the wing. I like the Booker/Seraphin duo's potential, and I don't really want to see us draft another 4. Sullinger gets compared to Al Jefferson because he's so big. Jefferson is perfect on the Jazz team as it's second banana behind Deron Williams and they are a really good team in part, because of Jefferson's post presence. And Sullinger would definitely give us a hell of a rebounder and post scorer which we may or may not already have. But damn, I want to take the gamble that we already have it in Booker/Seraphin, we just don't know it yet.

I see Enes Kanter having a similar skillset to someone like Luis Scola or Kevin Love as a big limited a bit by his lack of height. He's not long enough to play center in the NBA and that's his natural position. I could see his transition being difficult though, so it might be a while before he becomes good. Turkey is very different from the USA. Again, I think Kanter could be a good pick for us, but it's the same argument against Sullinger I used--I want us to gamble on the PFs we got last year.

Like I said, I see Terrence Jones being an Odom type in his skillset and I could see him having a similar career trajectory if things break well for him. He's got the biggest range of skill of all the forwards because he used to play PG and has that mentality to his handle. He's also got a set of post moves and plays in the paint quite a bit for Kentucky. If you look down the line and see Wall as our Kobe, and McGee as our Gasol, the you could definitely find a place for Terrence Jones as our Odom. He'd be a good pick and I think he's probably our safest value since he's proven he can produce big time at the college level as Kentucky's second best player..

I see Perry Jones as having the athletic profile of a superstar, but not the mentality. LaceDarius Dunn is Baylor's alpha player, not Jones. He'll be one of the top ten athlete's in the league once he gets here a la Josh Smith. But he's definitely not Josh Smith. He's an enormous wing player with great ball handling skills and a long range on his jumper. I think he'll have the ability to dominate on both sides of the court like no one else in this class and he'll get to the point where he can drop 30 on a team at the drop of a hat. But I believe those performances will be sporadic from him because he's an up and down guy--has been since high school. It's all a matter of which Jones you get that night:

--the dominating physical force looking like a super tall Tracy McGrady,

--or the passive guy who's head is out of it or he's simply content to let his teammates take over the load that night.

That's why I think he can only be a number 2 or 3 option on a great team.

Finally, Harrison Barnes is the quintissential team first jack of all trades kind of player who does everything well. He's like what Grant Hill is to the Suns right now (only with better health and athleticism). Grant Hill was a superstar for the Pistons, I don't see that kind of trajectory for Barnes. What you see with Barnes is what you get. He busts his butt every game, plays good defense, is very smart with a high basketball IQ, has a long body and the strength to guard any perimeter threat, rebounds well, can go up and swat shots above the rim, and handles it pretty well. His j has sucked this year but it's usually a strength. He's capable of making the spectacular plays in transition. All in all, I think that, while Barnes won't have Perry Jones's upside and isn't as safe as Terrence Jones, Barnes represents the best mix of upside with security in the class. He'll be such a nice compliment to the Wall-McGee duumvirate. He's not a superstar, but he can be that crucial third star on a championship caliber team that puts you over the top.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Whatever pick we get in the upcoming lottery, we need to make it count.....because I don't expect to be there in 2012. :)

We might not be there this year either. We're not too far behind Toronto for the 8th seed. This team has enough talent to put together some win streaks that propels them into the playoffs.

Especially with Seraphin and Booker getting more minutes, this team will start playing a lot more competitive.

Edited by No Excuses

We might not be there this year either. We're not too far behind Toronto for the 8th seed. This team has enough talent to put together some win streaks that propels them into the playoffs.

Especially with Seraphin and Booker getting more minutes, this team will start playing a lot more competitive.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if take the 8th seed.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if take the 8th seed.

Would you want the 8th seed or would you rather be in the lottery? Personally while i'd love to make the playoffs and tell all the pundits and NBA "experts" to go **** themselves, I really, really think for the long game, for a chance at a championship one day, it would be very important to get a top pick this year. And for all of those adament about Flip being fired, that's not gonna happen if we get into the playoffs.

Does anyone know if Evans is out for tonight's game? I know he's had some foot injury or something.

I would love to end up with Sullinger, but like Steve mentioned, we already have alot of bodies at that position right now

Sullinger has a damn good post game considering how young he is. You don't often see freshmen bigs coming out with his level of offensive polish. It would be beautiful to have a low post offensive force to compliment our backcourt, but I've been reading that Sullinger carries some concern about his upside. He's been a good rebounder at Ohio State, but scouts seem to have questions about his ability to dominate the boards in the NBA. He's not a great athlete and he's very heavy and will probably weigh in pretty soft. He's also only 6'9 in shoes. We don't need another defensively soft big a la Andray Blatche with a post game. We'd be hoping for Jefferson/Love as the best case scenario and that's not the most comfortable feeling.

Plus goddamn Booker and Seraphin looked awesome last night. To me, Harrison Barnes/Terrence Jones + those two is better than Thornton/Howard + Sullinger. Need tips the balance over BPA in favor of a wing versus Sullinger.

---------- Post added December-8th-2010 at 09:47 PM ----------

Would you want the 8th seed or would you rather be in the lottery? Personally while i'd love to make the playoffs and tell all the pundits and NBA "experts" to go **** themselves, I really, really think for the long game, for a chance at a championship one day, it would be very important to get a top pick this year. And for all of those adament about Flip being fired, that's not gonna happen if we get into the playoffs.

Does anyone know if Evans is out for tonight's game? I know he's had some foot injury or something.

Making the playoffs as an 8 seed with a .500 or below record would be a disaster for us in the long term. In all likelihood, this is our last year to get a lottery pick and add that third blue-chip stud to our roster. If we don't, we'll have to pray for unusual luck on draft day or, even less likely, absurd luck in FA.

I think we badly need a top 3 pick and we need to hit on it. Our situation is a bit like the Thunder's from the past few offseasons. They acquired several lottery picks in a short span and were able to turn the first three into Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and Jeff Green. They had the third overall pick in 2009 and had one last shot at turning it into the final blue chipper in their rotation. It could have been Stephen Curry (imagine) or Tyreke Evans. Instead they picked James Harden...

Thank God they ****ed up or they would be unbeatable now, but we can't afford to make a similar mistake. And we definitely can't afford to start winning now. I'm rooting for close, thrilling losses each game.

Would you want the 8th seed or would you rather be in the lottery? Personally while i'd love to make the playoffs and tell all the pundits and NBA "experts" to go **** themselves, I really, really think for the long game, for a chance at a championship one day, it would be very important to get a top pick this year.

I don't really want us to make the playoffs....its just wouldn't surprise me if we did.

Personally, I think we could use one more relatively high lottery pick to add to the talent base.

Buckhantz just said that Blatche is out. Thank God. Hopefully Yi isn't starting.

Oh and I didn't realize that Cousins was already ****ing up and acting like a baby in Sacramento. I'm on a Kings board right now and they are ****ing about him.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Buckhantz just said that Blatche is out. Thanks God. Hopefully Yi isn't starting.

Oh and I didn't realize that Cousins was already ****ing up and acting like a baby in Sacramento. I'm on a Kings board right now and they are ****ing about him.

Cousins has been acting up since the summer.

Getting into fights with the team trainer, mouthing off to the coaches etc. :(

Phil is repeating what Vishal said earlier. This team needs strong BiGs. No more 4/5 that want to shoot from outside. McGee needs a Duncan besides him and then this wizards team could contend.

Yup, I'm not a fan of the Blatche/McGee front line. Two finesse bigs is a bad idea. I'd like to see a pairing of Blatche/Seraphin and Booker/McGee.

Told you all John Wall hurt his ankle. Jesus Christ...I hope this is just them taking it slow with him and not an actual trend.

---------- Post added December-8th-2010 at 11:21 PM ----------

Seraphin looking lost out there on D.

---------- Post added December-8th-2010 at 11:24 PM ----------

This is ugly.