Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

All of a sudden Ernie Grunfeld doesn't look like such an awful GM.

I can't believe I just said that.

The Manhimi deal is still terrible though.

Brooks is saving his behind.  Don't be fooled...Aside from either a ECF berth or Finals appearance, Grunfeld has got to go. 

• Like 2

Washington Wizards point guard John Wall has been voted by the coaches to be an Eastern Conference All-Star reserve, league sources told ESPN on Thursday.

Wall, 26, will be making his fourth appearance in the All-Star Game, which takes place in New Orleans on Feb. 19.

The rest of the All-Star reserves -- seven per conference -- will be announced later Thursday.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18558470/john-wall-washington-wizards-voted-all-star-game-reserve

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

All of a sudden Ernie Grunfeld doesn't look like such an awful GM.

I can't believe I just said that.

The Manhimi deal is still terrible though.

The Mahimni deal is terrible along with having an expensive terrible bench. He traded a first for Keef whom the suns were begging teams to take. He's awful. Having three top 3 draft choices make your team better is something every fan on this forum could do. The Nicholson contract is an abomination. He's horrible. 

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Hell No. Ernie gets no credit for getting Wall/Beal/Porter. Oubre might be his only good draft pick in a decade or more. He wasted years clearing space to either land Durant or load up on a killer bench and completely wet the bed. The starters are playing more than ever, and are all having career years. Which is indicative of Brooks' abilities.

Somebody gets credit for Beal and Porter.  They weren't no brainers.  There wasn't a true consensus on who to grab at either of those spots and the fans have been trying to trade both of them from almost the moment they were drafted.

Remember, that '12 draft also had a lot of people wanting to pick TRob, Barnes, Drummond, etc.  And after the pick was made, I think most would have rather gotten Drummond or Lillard.

And as far as Porter, the big majority of fans wanted Nerlens Noel at that spot.  Smaller numbers wanted Len and Zeller.  Most would have traded Porter for Noel up until this season.

Whoever has been running our drafts since 2012 has been doing a legitimately good job at picking NCAA players.  I don't know if that's Ernie, I doubt it is.  But someone has been doing well.  I think it might be Tommy Sheppard.

The other thing Ernie does a respectable job with is trades.  Morris and Gortat were solid trades.  Shard for Ariza and Okafor was a good trade.  Javale and NY for Nene was a good trade.  Arenas for Shard was a bamboozling that was a significant contributing factor in the Magic eventually losing Dwight.  And Kirk Hinrich and Hilton Armstrong for Crawford, the 2011 first, and Mike Bibby was a steal of a trade that only turned to **** because he blew the draft pick on Chris Singleton.

Where Ernie fails is in free agency and in drafting Euros.  Euro fetish but almost none of them worked out, and he almost never signs a guy for a bargain, and most of his efforts at bringing in outside talent have been fails.  He's also done a lousy job at picking coaches until Brooks.  And, of course, he's ultimately responsible for creating the leadership vacuum that led to the clown culture that characterized the end of the Arenas era and beginning of the Wall era.

Ernie is a bad GM but not a horrible one, and the rest of the FO isn't necessarily bad.  Someone in there has some teambuilding vision and ability to evaluate college talent.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Having three top 3 draft choices make your team better is something every fan on this forum could do.

That is definitely not true.  If Wizards fans had been in charge of those drafts, the team would be **** today.  Fans would not have settled on Wall--Beal--Porter.  I say this including myself in that acknowledgement.  I spent as much time watching and debating prospects in that time frame as anyone in the fan base and when our picks came up in 2012 and 2013, my overwhelming thought was "I'm glad I'm not in charge."  I would have ****ed those picks up big time.

8 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

How could you have possibly ****ed up the Wall, Beal, Porter picks? They were the overwhelming favorites for those picks. Especially Wall and Beal. 

I don't think you're remembering how little consensus there was in 2012 and 2013.  Or the fact that the fan base was never sold on either Beal or Porter until they broke out this season.

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That is definitely not true.  If Wizards fans had been in charge of those drafts, the team would be **** today.  Fans would not have settled on Wall--Beal--Porter.  I say this including myself in that acknowledgement.  I spent as much time watching and debating prospects in that time frame as anyone in the fan base and when our picks came up in 2012 and 2013, my overwhelming thought was "I'm glad I'm not in charge."  I would have ****ed those picks up big time.

I would have gone Wall- Drummond-???  I wanted Len more than Otto, which in hindsight is horrible, but I wouldn't have draft Len if I had Drummond, so who knows how that would have played out. 

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think you're remembering how little consensus there was in 2012 and 2013.  Or the fact that the fan base was never sold on either Beal or Porter until they broke out this season.

Porter hasn't broken out yet.  Porter became a fantastic role player this season, but let's not go crazy.  Beal has though, thank God, though not in the way most expected.  He's still not the great shooter people predicted, but has seen a huge increase in scoring ability because he finally developed some ball handling ability. 

Lots of folks wanted Nerlens Noel over Porter. Noel was supposed to go #1.  But at the time, Otto filled a need at SF with Ariza gone and we "couldn't" draft someone at #3 who would be out the whole year.  Just glad the Cavs scooped Bennett before Ernie could make that terrible pick.  Otto was the safe pick, but he's turning out to be a stud.

Ernie will never be forgiven for handing out that deal to Gil.  How do you give $100m to damaged goods?

1 minute ago, CBass1724 said:

Lots of folks wanted Nerlens Noel over Porter. Noel was supposed to go #1.  But at the time, Otto filled a need at SF with Ariza gone and we "couldn't" draft someone at #3 who would be out the whole year.  Just glad the Cavs scooped Bennett before Ernie could make that terrible pick.  Otto was the safe pick, but he's turning out to be a stud.

Ernie will never be forgiven for handing out that deal to Gil.  How do you give $100m to damaged goods?

Because our short-sighted, star-struck fanbase fairly demanded it?

Also...Otto is love, Otto is life.

• Like 1

I'm no Ernie defender by any means, but a GM's story can change in a heartbeat. Boston fans wanted Danny Ainge gone for years, but then all of a sudden he trades for KG and Allen, wins a ring, and now he's some fantastic GM.

Not saying Ernie will do the same here, and I agree he's still a garbage GM, but the narrative can change.

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Because our short-sighted, star-struck fanbase fairly demanded it?

Good GM's ignore short-sighted, star-struck fanbases and make the correct general manager moves to build their roster accordingly.

I definitely have a huge mancrush on Otto.  And Oubre now.

Edited by CBass1724
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Didnt Ernie hire Brooks?

Let's not pretend that Ernie did any homework on the Brooks hire aside from thinking it would help lure KD to DC. 

49 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm no Ernie defender by any means, but a GM's story can change in a heartbeat. Boston fans wanted Danny Ainge gone for years, but then all of a sudden he trades for KG and Allen, wins a ring, and now he's some fantastic GM.

Not saying Ernie will do the same here, and I agree he's still a garbage GM, but the narrative can change.

How many years was Ainge the GM in Boston before his fortunes turned?  5-6 years?  Pales in comparison to EG's tenure in DC.  I believe we've ALL seen enough of EG to KNOW he ain't it. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CBass1724 said:

Nor for #5 for Mike Miller and Randy Foye.  That should have gotten him fired on the spot.

I'll also say that I don't think the basketball world holds Ernie responsible for his role in Gungate.  He's avoided any blame for that fiasco despite the fact he was the friggin GM that picked all of the players and created the organization's culture.  He built an atmosphere where the star player and franchise leader shat in a teammate's shoe and got into a standoff with guns in the locker room with another teammate (who was a gang member that later went to jail for murdering a girl in a drive by).

No GM should have kept his job after that happened.  It's outrageous.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CBass1724 said:

Blame that on Abe.