Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

8 hours ago, TheItalianStallion said:

I didn't realize just how well porter has been shooting from 3. I guess the John Wall effect is still there.

He got the same looks and clanked out too many.  He was a good shooter in college and most were waiting for his NBA three range to show up.  It looks like he's finally found it.  Otto has been putting in work. 

Speaking of Wall.  Anyone notice his signature moves are absent?  I haven't seen a 360 layup attempt nor his thing where he switches the ball to his right hand by going around the back on a drive.  Haven't seen much of that fake pass with the right hand where he puts back spin on it making it come back to him.  Most of his fancy pants moves this season have been quick stops to create space for a pull up.  His go to drive fake has been an in and out dribble with his left.  

That give and go Porter and John ran at 2:41 was a thing of beauty.

John had a great floor game last night.  I loved the way he found all of the hot hands and got Otto, Keef, and Beal involved in the game by turns.  It made the difference and they won in spite of the bench's total unreliability.

This was really a must win game and I understand why Scott had to play the starters the whole second half.  It's frustrating that there are basically no solutions to the fact that Oubre is the only good player on the bench and Mahinmi's return is nowhere in sight.  Brooks and the starters are holding up their end.  None of Ernie's offseason acquisitions worked.  This season would have been a total loss if Wall, Beal, and Porter hadn't all taken big steps forward.

On the other end, he showcased the array of skills — the savvy off-ball cutting, the confident catch-and-shoot stroke, the floor-spacing 3-point marksmanship, the improving ability to attack off the bounce and finish through contact — that have made him one of the season’s leading contenders for Most Improved Player honors. He’s averaging career bests virtually across the board and has been exceptionally efficient in the opportunities he gets to contribute offensively alongside high-volume creators Wall and Beal. That’s been especially true of late; Porter’s shooting a blistering 58.8 percent from the field and 49.1 percent from 3-point land in the month of December, an uptick in form that has helped the Wizards start to move into the Eastern Conference playoff picture.

With Monday’s win, the Wizards are now 7-3 in their last 10 games, scoring an average of 109.4 points per 100 possessions in that span, which would rank them as the NBA’s sixth-most-potent offense over the course of the full season. The Wiz finished with 29 assists on 40 made field goals on Monday, shooting 50.6 percent from the field as a team and knocking down 12 of their 29 triple tries.

Beal's step back sets up his whole floor game.  That's the reason why his hesitation dribbles work so well at getting him to the rim.

Jason Smith with the corner 3.

Jason Smith crash the boards.

Jason Smith show hard on pick and roll.

Jason Smith pick up Paul George in transition and force the bricked pull up jumper.