Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

What does the winner get? A special trophy that doesn't mean as much as the other one at the end of the season? I agree that the nba could use a single elimination tourny I just don't know how they'd go about installing it.

Yeah a trophy. Or what about cash? Maybe the Lakers and Knicks wouldn't care about a cash prize but it would be useful to everyone else.

Or how about the winner gets to amnesty a bad contract?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/02/17/john-wall-to-rgiii-all-you-can-do-is-focus-on-trying-to-get-better/

Wall also has strong opinions about the blue and gold Wizards uniforms he wore his rookie year before the team switched to the current red, white and blue look.

“My first year I felt like I was wearing some hand-me-downs from high school,” Wall said. “That was the nastiest jersey combination ever.”

Wizards Defensive Rating, quarter by quarter: 1Q: 96.8 (4th) 2Q: 99.0 (8th) 3Q: 96.6 (2nd) 4Q: 107.5 (27th) OT: 112.4 (22nd)

Interesting. I wonder how much of that is due to having reserves in, our system, or opponents simply adjusting later in the game and Witless failing to making adjustments of his own, or some combination. Those stats do make it clear why we've been losing to good teams; question now is what should we do about it.

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/wizards-will-find-out-how-quickly-beal-can-return

Wizards will find out how quickly Beal can return

NEW YORK -- The Wizards are back at work Wednesday evening when they practice and could have a positive update on the status of Bradley Beal, who has a "mild" stress reaction in his lower right leg for the third time in his third season.

Head trainer Eric Waters still has to return to help with the evaluation process and determine how much more time, if any, that Beal will miss. Beal initially had an "inflamed" big right toe that caused him to miss three games going into the All-Star break. Their next game, which will mark 20 days off from basketball-related activity for Beal, is Friday vs. the Cleveland Cavaliers (CSN, CSNwashington.com and NBC Sports Live Extra, 7:30 p.m. ET).  

Because the dark spot on Beal's right fibula, the non-weight bearing bone, is smaller than the previous two stress reactions the Wizards (33-21) are more optimistic this time. Regardless, he'll likely face minutes restrictions again which will limit his availability for late in games if he continues to be a starter.

A person with knowledge of the situation told CSNwashington.com on Tuesday that "nothing has changed" with the franchise's plans to negotiate an extension with Beal, who is eligible if he can agree to one before the tipoff of his fourth year, in the offseason.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Click to read the rest

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/morning-tip-wizards-would-part-1st-round-pick-right-deal

Morning tip: Wizards would part with 1st-round pick for right deal

This is what is known about the Wizards (33-21), the No. 3 seed in the East, going into the final 28 games of this regular season and with Thursday's 3 p.m. ET trade deadline looming:

•  
  • They're willing to trade a first-round draft pick. To make any sort of trade of significance, for a player with the talent of an Arron Afflalo for instance (only using this name as an example), the Wizards will have to part with one. They are, CSNwashington.com was told by a person with knowledge of the situation Tuesday night, which makes them a stronger player in the market.
  • Free agency remains the more likely route because those deals are easier to execute and still can lead to a quality veteran guard that they covet (Ray Allen, Will Bynum). Both can be signed any time between now and the end of the regular season to be playoff eligible because they've yet to play in the NBA this season.
  • Not taking on salary into 2016 remains a priority. Last summer, every deal made had short-term consequences with long-term flexibility in mind. So this means if an available player is owed $7 million-plus over multiple years, it better be one heck of a player with long-term value and allows the Wizards to unload a contract in return such as Martell Webster's. The problem is getting another team to bite on a deal with a player who has had three back surgeries and a few years left on his deal.

•  
Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Supposedly the Wizards were one of the first front offices to embrace advanced metrics several years ago.

Wittman is Old School but I don't think the FO is.

Re: the trade deadline, Webster is un-tradeable and he's really what is preventing us from being active. His contract is a 5 million dollar handicap unfortunately. If I were Ernie I would keep the pick and then just sign a FA PG. We're not going to win a championship this season. We're not going to get out of the East. Maybe not even get out of the second round. Keep the pick to get a cheap body with some actual upside. It's a good Big Man draft.

Then this summer we can let Andre Miller walk and hopefully find a way to make a couple of deals.

I'm thinking Seraphin in a S&T would be good. And I'd take pretty much anything for Webster that lets us out of his salary for 2016. I'd probably look to move Blair too even though his money is small and he's still pretty young. Just doesn't bring as much to the table as Humphries.

• Like 1

Just kind of looking ahead to next season, I think it'll be Cleveland's year. I think they'll be a heavy favorite to win the East after they get another offseason to clean the roster up. I also think Indy will bounce back and I think Atlanta will still be excellent, health provided. And I think Toronto and Chicago will stay about even with us too.

I'm thinking something like this:

Tier 1

- Cleveland

- Atlanta

Tier 2

- Indy

- Washington

- Toronto

- Chicago

Tier 3

- Milwaukee

- Miami

- Detroit

- Charlotte

So I wouldn't be making any moves this summer that sacrifice long term assets to chase a ring next season either.

^^^

On top of that.

At this moment, nothing in terms of trades looks likely. Wizards definitely looking FA route as expected #WizardsTalk @CSNWizards #NBA

If they go with Bobby Brown, who I listed Feb. 9 as one of their targets, it'll be a 10-day deal #WizardsTalk @CSNWizards #NBA

I will be pretty disappointed if all we come away with is Ramon Sessions or Bobby Brown from China.

I expected them to fail to make any moves because what we have to trade is more valuable than what it can get us. If they manage to get Sessions and Brown without giving up Porter or a 1st round pick I'll be ok with it. Not happy because this team is a fraud at the moment but I understand their just isn't much they can do right now.

This team needs a star and for Beal to figure it out in order to improve at this point. That's not coming in a trade. Without those they'd need a major coaching upgrade and an offseason to get much better.

Ernie is in danger of sabotaging this team with bad contracts too... gortat's deal is looking horrible and if he offers Beal a max deal I'm going to start demanding he be thrown into the Potomac again.

Ernie is in danger of sabotaging this team with bad contracts too... gortat's deal is looking horrible and if he offers Beal a max deal I'm going to start demanding he be thrown into the Potomac again.

I don't think Ernie is going to sabotage our future with bad contracts. Not until the ink is dry on a KD extension in OKC.

I think Gortat's deal will be fine eventually. Right now it looks bad because he's not playing 4th quarters but that's a coaching failure that hasn't actually been caused by any regression from Gortat. Dude is the same player he was last season. Randy is just ****ing it up with him.

Also, his price tag is going to look dirt cheap compared to what Big Men are going to get paid in 2016. 18 million a year is about to be the new normal for the average starting big.

Ultimately I'm a lot more frustrated with and worried about Randy than I am Ernie.

Re: Beal, he doesn't deserve a max deal period. He hasn't been able to stay healthy and his level of play is nowhere near as good as Wall's was during his rookie contract. They aren't even really in the same ball park.

But unfortunately teams are going to have a TON of new money in the summer of 2016. It's a big FA and RFA class, but there will probably be some team out there that will offer him a max deal just because they have the money to do it and it's not like we can afford to let him walk.

That's why it is probably important to get a deal negotiated this summer IMO. A max deal signed this summer will be 40% or more cheaper than one signed next summer. I'd put 12 or 13 million with 7% raises on the table and go as high as a max deal to get him signed this summer. His cap hold is onl 11.5 million for 2016, but I can make up the difference between that and 14/15 million by getting out of Webster's money.

And bottom line, Beal at 14 or 15 million is sooooo much better than Beal at 23 million.

And also, it's in Beal's interest to negotiate this summer because of his injury history.

• Like 1