Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jacksonville says we are interested in Brunell

jbooma

How about R. Johnson and K Watson for Brunell and a 6th round pick?

I can't wait for Fantasy Football to start!

Seriously though, I would be pretty surprised if this were true. I think maybe the Jags are just trying to stir up some interest.

:doh: There's a lot of BS floating around Jax here of late regarding the Jag's, something having to do with a "ripple effect" Our MB has been like the twighlight zone the past few day's. Jet's couldn't afford Him and Ramsey is definately the future, bench him for a 6 Million dollar man? It really doesn't make sense. I'd like to focus on game day tomorrow. Weather is great tonight...

It's probably just BS. The one reporter down here who writes for the Times-Union is none other than Vito Stellino. Yes the same smuck who wrote for the Balt. Sun and as I remember never really like the Skins or Snyder. Go figure. Of course I have no idea if this was the reporter in question but he does cover the Jags very closely.

Originally posted by jbooma

I am curious, could we trade Rob for him, have the Jags pay half of his salary this year???? :cool:

Not possible. The Skins are only $3.5Mil under the Cap. Brunnell get $6Mil. If the Jags pay half, well that'll bout do it for the Bailey "Re-sign" that the Skins are working on. It doesn't make sense. :rolleyes:

The point of having R. Johnson as the backup is to not have PR have to look over his shoulder every play. Also at this point how would Brunell learn the complex fng system to be able to play if called upon. Makes absolutely no sense even if it were'nt for the insane salary.

Originally posted by Skyward72

Don't want him. Hopefully BS

Are you serious? You wouldn't want Brunell backing up Ramsey. I would! He's a helluva QB IMHO. He's also more level-headed and a leader on the field.

Not that it's anything but a rumor, but, hell yes, I'd LOVE to have him on our team!

I like the R. Johnson/Watson for Brunell idea, but Brunell would definitely have to lower his salary a substantial amount before any trade talks could take place. I would think he'd reduce down as far as $2 million-- it's doubtful that he would get more than that if he were released outright and had to negotiate as a FA.

I've figured out a possible explanation for this:

[*]The Jags want to trade Brunell.

[*]They think they might be able to con the Jets into goughing something up.

[*]The Jets FO can't negotiate their way out of a paper bag.

[*]Somebody in the Jags office decides to "leak" the "rumor" that the Skins are negotiating for him.

[/list=1]

How's that theory work?

Here is what the post said:

Redskins officials said they are not interested in Jacksonville quarterback Mark Brunell. There have been various reports that the Jaguars are shopping Brunell to several teams, including the Redskins.

I would love to have Brunell on the Redskins instead of Johnson or Woeful.

But not if we had to give away too much and had to pay his $6.75 million salary! :D Like Buddha said he would obviously have to reduce his salary down to a reasonable level.

If you look at Brunell stats -- even last year's -- they are still fairly good. :D

I can't see Brunell wanting to go anywhere that he'd be a backup. After being the number 2 behind Farve, I think he's shown that he is starting material. If he did come here as a backup, I can smell QB controversy on the horizon. I think we are fine at the position. Ramsey is the man, and Johnson and Woeful are servicable as backups.

I am sure that the Jags threw our name out there as a way to stir up interest. Everyone knows e go after every name player, after all. But I seriously doubt we are really interested.

For the sake of discussion, I will say I think that getting Brunell to back up Ramsey would be fantastic, provided we didn't give up a pick to get him. If it was a relatively cheap deal, say Kenny Watson and a backup lineman for Brunell I'd be all for it. But I don't see us giving up anything particularly substantial for him at this point.

Archived