Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Jerry Jones on Cowboys' rushing woes: 'It was so bad that it can't be that bad'

tr1

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/090110dnspojjonesinterview.ac8bf76e.html

11:43 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was interviewed on KRLD-FM on Tuesday to discuss the team and their poor play against the Texans in the preseason. Here are some highlights:

The Cowboys are facing a lot of questions after being defeated by the Houston Texans on Saturday. What are your general thoughts on what happened that exhibition game?

I understand those questions and you always like, no matter if you’re going down the field against air and throwing the ball, you like to move the ball and move the chains. But the good news is we’ve got almost two weeks to work on any of the kinds of things that stopped us the other night, and I think we will work on those things, such as signal to Felix Jones; we’ve changed the play and we’re going to pitch the ball out. That’s a technical issue that they can work on. They can get some help getting the word to Felix and the fullback or they can do a hand signal.:doh:

So, those are the kinds of things that you do in preseason but I expect us to work on the mistake-side of it, some of the things we didn’t pick up in the offensive line there early that sacked Romo sits to pee. Those are things that aren’t unique to game planning. You just had a couple of mistakes that the guys are going to have to pick up and it’s something that they pick up everyday and have for years. So, it’s a combination of things, we just…we’ve got two weeks to work on it and that’s the way it works. What you got to remember is that if a team does not really prepare game plan, a player doesn’t really prepare his game plan, he usually doesn’t play well in the game.:doh: And I do give some credit, it’s not an excuse, but I do give some credit to the fact that we’ve gone in playing vanilla on both sides of the ball and should do better when we prepare for the team that we’re playing.

On the critics pouncing on the Cowboys for rushing for 13 total yards:

I agree with that. It was so bad that it can’t be that bad, so let’s just leave it at that and know that we can do better than that. One of the things they were doing was certainly doing 8 or 9-man fronts. You’ve got to throw the ball, you’ve got to take it deep, you’ve got to throw it to the outside when a team lines up on you like that. We did not do that. When we decided to come out the second half, we decided if they’re going to stay with 8 and 9-man fronts, that was their first group out there, we went right down the field (and DIDN'T score a TD). When we decided to throw it deep and take it outside, that’s what you do in a ball game. Now, let me just say this: the Texans outplayed out played us the other night. They out-everything’d us that you do in football and we’ve got to be proud that that doesn’t happen to us and not expect it to happen to us when we get it for real and get it in a regular game.

Here’s the thing that I always go back to, the best preseason that I think I’ve ever been involved in, was the first year I was with the Dallas Cowboys, 22 years ago. We almost went undefeated; [Dan] Reeves left [John] Elway in the game five quarters against us in Denver to keep us from going undefeated in preseason. We won three and lost one. In the regular season, we won only one football game. The years that we’ve had some of our worst preseasons, we’ve gone and won Super Bowls. So I look to that but the main thing is that we’ve got some things that we really need to work on, most other teams do too. I’m very confident that this team is a veteran team with a lot of guys competing with young players and I know the staff and I feel good that we’ll be ready to play when we play the Redskins.

How much validity is there in the fact that the Cowboys have done a lot of traveling this preseason and the players are all just thinking of their families and going home?

There could be some of that and the most that we’ve ever traveled, the most, we went to Europe, we went to Tokyo and played five football games. The most we’ve ever traveled, we won a Super Bowl every year.

What your thoughts on the Cowboys’ offensive line? When is the team expecting Marc Colombo and Kyle Kosier to return to the lineup?

Well, he could be back, no one knows, but it’s looking good that he’s back and when he does, he ought to be in better shape. That was a very positive surgery that he had to remove those things out of his knees and he should be back. And I look for Kosier to be back. The real good news is that [Montrae] Holland really played really well against San Diego, probably took a little step back against Houston but still Holland has shown us he’s everything we want him to be. [Alex] Barron, in particular, has shown that he’s ready to play and so, in Holland and Barron, Holland at guard and Barron at tackle, either tackle, we really have as good a depth as we have had and so with a healthy Kosier, which we can get him back pretty soon, and with a healthy Colombo, which we’ll have back for the first game, I really like the depth that we’ve established with veteran players. We’ve gotten something accomplished in camp there.

Will Dez Bryant be in action on Thursday against Miami?

You wouldn’t want to see him if you don’t have your first groups out there. For sure you wouldn’t want to see him if you don’t do that and you really could have somebody take a shot or two that normally might be a little different because what you’re going to have out there, a lot of players that are trying to give their last ditch effort to make the 53-roster and that might be a little more than you for. We can be satisfied, I think, and it’d be enough if he has a good week of practice, as far as going into Washington.

The thing about those ankle sprains is they’re one of the toughest because a player feels and knows he can go. But you gain on it really good for the entire length of the season if you can stay off of it another week or another ten days or another two weeks. Stay off it in a competitive way; when you put that foot down on an impromptu basis and that’s in high competition, that’s a little different, a little higher risk than if you’re out knowing where you’re going to cut in the conditions of a practice. So, like I said, that would rule that out if we don’t play those starters, for sure.

"So, in conclusion, next season we're going to lose every game, travel as much as possible and get some older players as depth.

Oh, and if we suck really badly, don't worry 'cause we can't keep sucking that bad."

Jerruh is an idiot.

You just had a couple of mistakes that the guys are going to have to pick up and it’s something that they pick up everyday and have for years. So, it’s a combination of things, we just…we’ve got two weeks to work on it and that’s the way it works. What you got to remember is that if a team does not really prepare game plan, a player doesn’t really prepare his game plan, he usually doesn’t play well in the game.:doh: And I do give some credit, it’s not an excuse, but I do give some credit to the fact that we’ve gone in playing vanilla on both sides of the ball and should do better when we prepare for the team that we’re playing.

On the other side of the coin, we have the Giants' players commenting about their putrid outing:

"You can't just figure Carolina's coming this week so let's turn it on. You need to work out all the kinks you have now, go full-speed every opportunity. If guys are holding back, it's going to make for a tough start for them and possibly our team."
"...The third preseason game it shouldn't be happening. You had 100 percent show up in minicamps and OTAs. You had everybody working out and getting the defense early. At this point we should be flying around able to establish ourselves as a defense, one thing we haven't done yet. It has to be done this week, before we play Carolina."
"It's not like a light switch you can turn on and off. We've got to establish ourselves and get ourselves in the right direction before the season starts."

Compare that to Jerruh's attitude, which quite frankly is the attitude of a fan, not a GM...one of "Well, they've always been good in the past, they didn't just suddenly become terrible...plus it was vanilla...and we didn't scheme or gameplan...not an excuse, mind you, but these guys will be fine, because like I said, they always have done well the past several years...and back in the early 90s we played crappy in the preseason then went on to win Super Bowls, so what does that tell ya!...plus it was vanilla, did I say that already?"

I don't know what their preseason records were during the Cowboys' SB run in the 90s, but I can tell you that I distinctly remember the first part of their preseason games on TV. I remember so well because, to me, that is what you want your first unit to look like in the preseason. Those teams would have their regulars go for the first two series and, invariably, would leave the game with a 10-0 or 14-0 lead. The offense would march down the field and score either a FG or TD, and the D would quickly stop the other team. Those teams were a model of efficiency.

I don't think JJ's memory is working so good...:no:

I can't wait for all the rationalization when they start out slow in the regular season. We'll hear about how they are keeping it vanilla, saving all their real plays for the playoffs, how the Cowboys know the real games are in January, February, etc.

This is going to be a fun season!

I don't know what their preseason records were during the Cowboys' SB run in the 90s, but I can tell you that I distinctly remember the first part of their preseason games on TV. I remember so well because, to me, that is what you want your first unit to look like in the preseason. Those teams would have their regulars go for the first two series and, invariably, would leave the game with a 10-0 or 14-0 lead. The offense would march down the field and score either a FG or TD, and the D would quickly stop the other team. Those teams were a model of efficiency.

I don't think JJ's memory is working so good...:no:

Go back and check your memory. You'll find you dont' remember things that well. Don't just come back with some cutsey reply. Do the research and then come back and talk.

Go back and check your memory. You'll find you dont' remember things that well. Don't just come back with some cutsey reply. Do the research and then come back and talk.

Oh, I remember things just fine. How about you get off your ass and do your own research?

So, those are the kinds of things that you do in preseason but I expect us to work on the mistake-side of it, some of the things we didn’t pick up in the offensive line there early that sacked Romo sits to pee. Those are things that aren’t unique to game planning. You just had a couple of mistakes that the guys are going to have to pick up and it’s something that they pick up everyday and have for years. So, it’s a combination of things, we just…we’ve got two weeks to work on it and that’s the way it works. What you got to remember is that if a team does not really prepare game plan, a player doesn’t really prepare his game plan, he usually doesn’t play well in the game.:doh: And I do give some credit, it’s not an excuse, but I do give some credit to the fact that we’ve gone in playing vanilla on both sides of the ball and should do better when we prepare for the team that we’re playing.

So they were going Vanilla and not gameplanning, but everyone else was devoting hours upon hours of film study time and made the perfect gameplan to beat the Cowboys in preseason?

Why don't you go find some stats and try to convince us...until then, we'll go with the memory of a trusted Skins' fan poster.

So they were going Vanilla and not gameplanning, but everyone else was devoting hours upon hours of film study time and made the perfect gameplan to beat the Cowboys in preseason?

Good point. I personally feel too much has been made of this vanilla crap. The team simply hasn't performed well. The only possible excuse I will give them is the absence of Kosier, Columbo, and Brooking. These 3 players just happen to be the most smart/vocal/outspoken players on the team and maybe that has (a very little) something to do with the lack of intensity and players missing assignments. Still, injuries are no excuse - they are part of the game and not getting these players ready is on Phillips. Injuries also don't explain Romo sits to pee and the offense's mishaps.

I also don't like the "Jerruh" approach to training camp. In 2008, it was Hard Knocks and Camp Cupcake. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now. In 2009, things improved...the team and the players were much more focused. Did the Cowboys FO learn? Apparently not. We just HAD TO play in the HOF game with Emmitt going (but Rice and the 49ers didn't -- hmm..), Jerruh has to sell his new stadium, so why not buy the 2011 SB location and while they're at it, parade the Cowboys around all over the country. EESH!

No, I'm not bitter :ols:, I'm just tired of the hype, the excuses, and anything else that doesn't have anything to do with a hard-playing football team. Man, I can't believe it! It's 2008 all over again and the season hasn't even started!

No, I'm not bitter :ols:, I'm just tired of the hype, the excuses, and anything else that doesn't have anything to do with a hard-playing football team. Man, I can't believe it! It's 2008 all over again and the season hasn't even started!

See, Shining Star, this is a puke fan who's grounded in reality.

Seriously, that 'vanilla' crap just doesn't wash. The players are once again under-motivated going into the season. Puke fans should be upset.

I will say this...that was the preseason battle of Texas and the Texans wanted it more.

Just like the preseason Battle of the Beltway has no meaning to the Skins and the Ravens wanted IT more.

Dallas is not as bad as they looked against the Texans but they do have some O-line concerns that they can't seem to fix and could really snowball.

defensively I think the cowboys can stay in a lot of games unless it's 3 and out all day on offense for them.

Archived