Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Matt Leinart get's cut,should Redskins pick him up?

gohard202

The fact that Leinart didn't turn pro after his JR. year is what ended up hurting him. He'd most likely be in another system and playing solid football. Instead he turned pro after his SR. year and it landed him as a backup for the Cards behind Kurt Warner and now Derek Anderson.

Leinart needs the same thing that Jason Campbell needed- a fresh start. If Bruce Allen was really interested, he should send Arizona a 6th round pick and maybe another player.

I agree that he could be a 3rd QB. You never know with the right personalities around something may rub off. I am sure Warner did not have time between Jesus, the training room, and football to help the dude out at all. Take him out the spotlight of being the number 2 and let him work his way up as a number 3. The cost would probably minimal.

Leinart needs the same thing that Jason Campbell needed- a fresh start. If Bruce Allen was really interested, he should send Arizona a 6th round pick and maybe another player.

Setting aside if he is worth a roster spot as say the 3rd QB this year as a developmental project lets be clear about one thing. There is no way we should trade anything for him up to and including a ham sandwich. Why? Because if we trade for him we take on his contract whihc has a huge spike in salary from next year.

Unless he agrees to restructure his deal he is basically untradeable.

If they release him sure he is worth a look but not at any salary much above minimum with lots of incentives and I think he will get more than that from someone.

Setting aside if he is worth a roster spot as say the 3rd QB this year as a developmental project lets be clear about one thing. There is no way we should trade anything for him up to and including a ham sandwich. Why? Because if we trade for him we take on his contract whihc has a huge spike in salary from next year.

Unless he agrees to restructure his deal he is basically untradeable.

If they release him sure he is worth a look but not at any salary much above minimum with lots of incentives and I think he will get more than that from someone.

On point. Especially the first part. Take away everything else, I'm not sure he's worth a roster spot.

Pass. The Shanahans' offense requires a QB with an above average arm to execute the long passes and play-action properly. Rex Grossman, for all of his other faults, does have a really nice arm and can get it done at times. Leinart, on the other hand, has a noodle arm comparable to a Chad Pennington, and would be best served playing for a team that runs a pure WCO indoors.

The fact that Leinart didn't turn pro after his JR. year is what ended up hurting him. He'd most likely be in another system and playing solid football. Instead he turned pro after his SR. year and it landed him as a backup for the Cards behind Kurt Warner and now Derek Anderson.
Warner? Okay, I can let that one slide because Warner was a HOF QB. But Leinart should have been able to beat out Derek Anderson with no problem. Anderson is a less accurate Jay Cutler. Both of whom have incredibly strong arms, and an attitude that they can make any other to go with it. Problem is, Cutler can actually complete above 60% of his passes (which he has managed to do so since his rookie season) while Anderson has never done it, even during his Pro Bowl year.

Leinart sat behind one of the best to ever play the position, and should have made a quantum leap in his game. He honestly looks no better this year than he did in 2007 when Warner beat him out to begin with. Whether this is a problem with a system fit, which is plausible, or Leinart's talent and desire remains to be seen. Personally, I think it's a combination of the aforementioned factors.

Archived