Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

QUESTION: this is specifically directed toward the British posters here since it has to do with the BPL.

I’ve recently become aware of the BPL “homegrown rules”, and how some are wanting to restrict those requirements even further in order to focus on domestic development. This comes at a time when our own league MLS, is looking to expand its recruitment pool further into Africa and the Americas. 

So my questions are, havebthese rules worked? What is the feeling on the street regarding the homegrown rules? Do you favor tightening the rules? If so why? If not why not?

29 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

QUESTION: this is specifically directed toward the British posters here since it has to do with the BPL.

I’ve recently become aware of the BPL “homegrown rules”, and how some are wanting to restrict those requirements even further in order to focus on domestic development. This comes at a time when our own league MLS, is looking to expand its recruitment pool further into Africa and the Americas. 

So my questions are, havebthese rules worked? What is the feeling on the street regarding the homegrown rules? Do you favor tightening the rules? If so why? If not why not?

No, cause the players just won't play.

Liverpool have up to 3 or 4 English players at a time (Hendo, Ox, Gomez usually - Clyne when healthy/TAA sometimes).

City have one English player, two sometimes with Stones and Sterling.

United have 3 or 4, as well.

I'm not sure Chelsea have any.  Does Cahill still play?

They'll have the players, but rarely do they get time in the 11 outside of injuries or cup competitions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

Walker and Delph as well, although Delph has been around forever...Spurs have a decent mix.

I agree with your response that no it doesn't work. Can't see any rule changes improving that. Money is driving the game. Domestic development comes to a degree in the next tier down in the English Championship for example, but in reality that is so far removed from the world of the top 6 teams in the premier league it washes away quickly.

Specific to England, we have essentially cleaned up at all levels from u17 thro u20/21's. There is a massive amount of talent at those levels. Will they develop in the premier league, maybe so where managers will actually take time to bring them in. The young lad at City was getting a look from Pep before injury. Liverpool have a couple coming through the ranks. How many are still going in 5 years at the highest level, 10% ????

Its probably more down to the principles and quality of the manager and club structure as opposed to the rules in place at a higher level.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DC9 said:

No, cause the players just won't play.

Liverpool have up to 3 or 4 English players at a time (Hendo, Ox, Gomez usually - Clyne when healthy/TAA sometimes).

United have 3 or 4, as well.

I'm not sure Chelsea have any.  Does Cahill still play?

They'll have the players, but rarely do they get time in the 11 outside of injuries or cup competitions.

Ok, I’m not sure I follow. 

You say that these homegrown players don’t play, why not? I find it difficult to believe that every PBL team rosters 11 starting foreign born/bred players.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

10 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

What's the HG squad rule? 8 out of the 25 registered senior pro's have to 'homegrown?' (Which is a contradiction in itself as that could be ANY Nationality so long as they'd been affiliated to an English club for 3 years before the age of 21.). Or you run at a reduced squad if you chose not to fill those slots. That sound about right?

But that only applies to your overall squad. There are no rules regarding the make-up of the matchday 18. 

So in theory, you could have 17 foreign senior imports and one 'homegrown' player, who isn't British, in your match-day team. 

As always with anything the FA has anything to do with, it's a good idea in principle but a seriously flawed and pretty redundant one, in reality, the way it's presently set out. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

34 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

All right, which one of you put him up to this?

If that was a picture from this week I'd be excited.

4 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ok, I’m not sure I follow. 

You say that these homegrown players don’t play, why not? I find it difficult to believe that every PBL team rosters 11 starting foreign born/bred players.

You do the "home grown" rule to "develop your country's players," allegedly.  MLS is starting to do the same thing.

The problem with that in England is that out of your 25 players, 8 have to be "homegrown."  I think homegrown players also include the academy players who are foreign.... but I digress.  If you have 8 English players and the goal of having that rule is to better the English player - then if you are only playing a couple English players at a time in your 11 how much better do they get?

And no, not an entire 11 is foreign (though Chelsea is close and even Liverpool can send out an all foreign 11 if they wanted) but it can be and it's done often.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DC9 said:

If that was a picture from this week I'd be excited.

You do the "home grown" rule to "develop your country's players," allegedly.  MLS is starting to do the same thing.

The problem with that in England is that out of your 25 players, 8 have to be "homegrown."  I think homegrown players also include the academy players who are foreign.... but I digress.  If you have 8 English players and the goal of having that rule is to better the English player - then if you are only playing a couple English players at a time in your 11 how much better do they get?

And no, not an entire 11 is foreign (though Chelsea is close and even Liverpool can send out an all foreign 11 if they wanted) but it can be and it's done often.

I think that’s one of the bizarre things as an American fan. We’re used to domestic leagues being dominated by domestic players. To see “home teams” heavily populated by foreign players seems strange. While the proximity of UK to the mainland Europe, probably plays into that a lot more than in the US with our isolation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I think that’s one of the bizarre things as an American fan. We’re used to domestic leagues being dominated by domestic players. To see “home teams” heavily populated by foreign players seems strange. While the proximity of UK to the mainland Europe, probably plays into that a lot more than in the US with our isolation.

Well we're not even talking about apples and oranges.  We're talking about expired oatmeal and steak and eggs.  The European leagues have been around for over 100 years, well over 100 years.  Their are rivalries that are DEEPLY entrenched in DNA over there.  There are competitions just as deep, whether they be domestic or European wide.  Certain clubs are known for certain styles of play and certain types of supporters and they're also known for winning certain competitions - and regardless of where you are in England (or now, the world) you get to see those competitions.

El Classico, Liverpool - Man U, London Derbys or any other local Derby, FA Cup, Bayern Munich - Dortmund, Champions League, Europa League, they are all watched by everyone.  Every kid growing up wants to play in those competitions no matter what country they're from (even in South America). 

MLS has been around since 1996, but they've really only been around since Seattle came into the league and showed America how to support a soccer team.  Then Portland came along and did the same thing.  Toronto has done a great job.  Point being - is world class talent or potential world class talent won't be looking to come to MLS unless they know they aren't good enough to play on the biggest stage in Europe any more (Henry, Beckham, Stevie G, Robbie Keane, Kaka, etc.)  The American kids who are good enough don't even play in MLS, they just head over to Europe (Miazga - who was in an MLS academy but I don't think ever played, Pulisic, Claudio Reyna's kid who was in NYCFC's academy, Carter-Vickers, the kid who just signed for City, The kid who just got in the 11 at Schalke, etc), or if they're too young they play in Mexico (Johnathon Gonzalez - who Mexico offered citizenship to by the way so we must win this fight and call him up in February), but MLS isn't even in their equation and frankly there is nothing MLS or US Soccer can do to fix that unless they somehow find a way to get a team into Champions League (which they won't because they aren't part of UEFA).

I'll be interested to see if Atlanta FC and Arthur Blank can secure this 18 year old Brasilian they're after.  That would be a major coup for MLS.  But that won't even be a drop in the bucket in terms of talent cause that kid is probably gone after a season or two in MLS.  Most English kids want to play for the big 6, most hispanic kids (Spain, Portugal, South America) want to play for Barca or Real.  Most Italians want to play for Juve or the Milan clubs; French kids want to play for PSG; Germans want to play for Munich or Dortmund.  Unfortunately, nothing MLS can do about that except focus on making the quality of the league as easy on the eye as they can. It is what it is.

Edited by DC9
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jimmy hasn't been the best early.  He's trying hard, though.  Honestly can't think of anyone whose been great, if I'm being honest.  Maybe Lovren?

Robertson has been straight poop.  L'ster picked him out apparently.  Smart.

NOW THEY CALL OFFSIDE????? LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2017 at 5:42 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

I think it's a silly rule and it can stunt the development of players that end up rotting on the bench of some of the bigger clubs, bar Tottenham and Liverpool. Shame too because theres a good generation of players coming up as they showed in at the u20 world cup. Someone like Phil Fodden right now could probably get significant playing time at half the clubs in the premier league but it's hard to see that ever happening at City. Another one of their talented youth players, Jadon Sancho, wised up and went abroad. 

• Like 1