Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

2 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

Too bad dude  turn out to be a slacker with all the early success gone to his head. 

Could have been awesome with Klopp with his skill set. 

That was a Pep signing yes?  Or was he with Carlo?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

This Liverpool side has now scored 75 total goals this season. With still a game to play before the New Year. 

That's only 2 behind City. And they're the greatest team the PL's ever seen like .....

Hail. 

They are currently about 20 points ahead of the pack after 20 games. They are the best the PL had seen, to be fair....

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Now official from L'pool : Liverpool agree deal to sign Virgil van Dijk - Liverpool FC

Giddy as F here. Been a LONG wait since finding out he only wanted to come here prior to that Middlesbrough game.

Hail. 

Great move for all parties. Massive need for Liverpool, Southampton won't be too unhappy with 75mil. Stupid price but not that relevant these days. 

There's a multitude of pieces out there going up by the minute after this tea-times confirmation and I'm not going to bore people with them. My views on just how dominant a CH van Dijk is are well known. 

But this is worth a read for anyone interested questioning the fee. A detailed scout's eye view: 

Virgil van Dijk 'can be a great' as Liverpool agree to pay £75m for defender - BBC Sport

Hail. 

75 mill is mental but then again 40 mill for Salah now looks like the bargain of the century. It's all relative to how the player performs really. If he helps fix that defense he'll be worth every penny.

Massively important signing for Liverpool. Still need a few more in but big step in the right direction. 

• Like 1

Yer know for a club that's supposedly no longer 'big', with a manager that's supposedly 'not' one of the World's best, that's now:

Sadio Mané: No to Utd. Twice- Chose Liverpool. 

Nabby Keita: No to Barcelona- Chose Liverpool.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: No to Arsenal and Chelsea- Chose Liverpool.

Virgil van Dijk: No to Chelsea, and City- Chose Liverpool.

Liverpool FC still has major pull. Liverpool FC has Jürgen Klopp. The two combined are turning Liverpool FC into a major force again.

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Morrison J said:

75 mill is mental but then again 40 mill for Salah now looks like the bargain of the century. It's all relative to how the player performs really. If he helps fix that defense he'll be worth every penny.

Massively important signing for Liverpool. Still need a few more in but big step in the right direction. 

I agree, although nobody is knocking City from the top as long as Pep is running the show. 

• Like 1

Can we finally put to bed any bunkum that the owners aren't fully committed to winning now after this massive sign of intent to get van Dijk boxed off so quickly for such a fee?

I mean there'd been a whopping shift in policy the summer window 
to begin with. That was, sadly and frustratingly, flippantly, and ridiculously, dismissed by many (Reds with an anti-FSG agenda as much as any outside voices) due to L'pool sadly picking some real stubborn clubs to deal and failing to get the real big ones over the line. All despite there being some mega offers down on the table and the clubs transfer record being broken, and then smashed, with the brilliant compromise Keita deal. 

Now that record has been completely obliterated in a MASSIVE sign of intent that L'pool are no longer playing games. L'pool are once again major players in the mad crazy high stakes World of top-level football. L'pool are DEADLY serious about climbing back to the top of the tree. 

And they aren't going to just settle for second best in their efforts to get there. They're targetting exactly what fits and will wait until they can get the very best available. The whole ethos of the club has flipped full circle since they went all in on the mad German. 

This football club, under this manager, is really starting to go places again. And even though they won't (naturally) admit it, you can tell most other other clubs fans are getting 
real nervous at the prospect. 

Top class players want to play at Anfield again under this fella'. And that hasn't been the case for WAY longer than anyone cares to remember now. We'd always know if Utd were in for someone, or Arsenal and then Chelsea's Russian rubles, coupled with the London factor, then lCity with their Arab millions, not to mention a major European power; we'd invariably have to settle for the next bracket down of lesser player. So far had the club fallen the PL era. But now, top class, heavily in demand talents are putting L'pool first once more and turning down 'perceived' better prospects, either financially or on the pitch, for what seems like the first time in forever.

To say it's a massively exciting time to be a Red once again is a complete understatement. 

I fully believe we already have the best footballing side the Country outside of what Pep's assembled down the other end the East Lancs. 

The very real prospect of putting up a serious challenge and going toe-to-toe with them next season the stronger this group gets is just beyond anyone's wildest dreams a few short years back the back end of Rodgers and the old 'committee' way of doing things. 

Slowly but surely, Liverpool FC 
are fighting their way back to the top!

Hail. 

• Like 1

Couple of news stories over here,

Barca seem to think either Manchester club will trigger the release clause of 50mil in the contract of CB Samuel Umtiti. That would be great business.

Also on Barca, talk that they have reps meeting up with Coutinho's agents on 3rd Jan regarding a 125mil plus deal. Think if I was Klopp I'd ask for Umtiti plus the balance in cash although that may not balance the books enough for some.

Shouls be a real interesting transfer window.

2017 man. Sighs. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/28/liverpool-rhian-brewster-racial-abuse-england-uefa

A 17-year-old kid, as mature as he is, having to speak out is as sickening as this continuing to happen.

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Also on Barca, talk that they have reps meeting up with Coutinho's agents on 3rd Jan regarding a 125mil plus deal. Think if I was Klopp I'd ask for Umtiti plus the balance in cash although that may not balance the books enough for some.

Shouls be a real interesting transfer window.

I'd ignore any and all Coutinho bunkum this window. Particularly that coming out of Catalonia. Coutinho's going nowhere January. And if/ when he does go the summer, if he continues the ridiculous form he's been in since his return and takes it on the WC, it'll be WAY more than any £125 million. 

Sport need to get their story straight. Last week they had both clubs agreeing a fee, with Phil's contract already agreed. Today, there's a 'D-day meeting Jan. 3.' 

Get with the program Sport hey lads? Your FCB paymasters will be annoyed with you as it's differing from everything else they're putting out through the Catalan press. 

Hail. 

• Like 3

Curious, LFC twitter, which is rampantly optimistic on a good day with signings and ITKs (I know we are!) seem absolutely convinced that Goretzka is about to be signed for a summer deal.  We'll just see about that.

Then some kid from Basel named Ankanji as a CB is apparently getting done as well?  I like to think with as much FIFA as I play and as many teams as I build up from League 2 to the Premiership that I'm a deep cutter, but I've never heard of him.  Apparently he did well vs United in CL this season.  I won't be upset for the Boss bringing in more players.

Also looks like Sturridge may be off to Southampton on a loan.  That may have been what got us over the line if I'm being honest.  Was thinking about that this morning.

As for Phil, I don't think this money is contingent on him.  We've underspeant quite a bit the last few windows and had a net gain.  Klopp has set aside money for specific targets.

If we do sell Phil it will be next summer and we'll be in for Thomas Lemar as a replacement.  Just my opinion on that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Also looks like Sturridge may be off to Southampton on a loan.  That may have been what got us over the line if I'm being honest.  Was thinking about that this morning.

If we do sell Phil it will be next summer and we'll be in for Thomas Lemar as a replacement.  Just my opinion on that.

Was driving back from the beach (hope to be there full time in a couple years) listening to SiriusXM soccer channel pre-match show where an ex-Saint (can't recall who) was saying he thought that they needed a true #9. I said to the wife, "I'd sell em Studge for £35-40 mill. Would offset a good hunk of the VVD money. Or Ings for £15-20."

If Phil keeps up his level of play for the rest of the season, maybe getting the Reds to an FA Cup and/or Euro final, that price tag could reach the £150-175 mill. range. That could net Lemar AND Pulisic.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Yeh I agree it'll be more than 125mil. Think they'll pay 140mil plus, but it's a complete given in my opinion that he's on his way. 

Ok, I'll play. 

Based on what exactly? 

Hail. 

*Edit* Aking presuming you mean the January window. Otherwise, ignore the question. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Curious, LFC twitter, which is rampantly optimistic on a good day with signings and ITKs (I know we are!) seem absolutely convinced that Goretzka is about to be signed for a summer deal.  We'll just see about that.

Then some kid from Basel named Ankanji as a CB is apparently getting done as well?  I like to think with as much FIFA as I play and as many teams as I build up from League 2 to the Premiership that I'm a deep cutter, but I've never heard of him.  Apparently he did well vs United in CL this season.  I won't be upset for the Boss bringing in more players.

Although it'd be great move for him playing-wise, I highly doubt Sturridge would accept a drop down to a club like Southampton. Loan or permy. 

Ah ,Ankanji,  the big Swiss defensive hope? Never heard of him until a few week's back in Si Hughes piece. Upon research at the time, as you mentioned, he was apparently voted the MOTM Utd's second to last group game defeat out in Basle. I know right? Lol. Shows how interested people are the tedium of the groups. 

Probably wouldn't be until the summer but he does read 
real interesting. Certainly, the perfect skill set for how we play and young enough and relatively football inexperienced enough (started late but has been progressing fast over in Switzerland) to mould. Although he looks like Wes Brown which is enough to give anyone nightmares. :ols:

This was Si's piece: Liverpool will wait for summer in order to beat Borussia Dortmund to Basel 
centre back Manuel Akanji | The Independent

And a bit of a career rundown on what 
tyoe of player he is to this point: https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/12/manuel-akanji-lowdown-liverpools-latest-centre-back-target/

You know as much as much as I on
The one that that does intrigue me though is Zorc chasing him heavily for Dortmund. He certainly has a great eye for quality young talent at a decent price. 

FWIW, Mel Reddy today in a good piece was saying we're keen on either him, Gimenez from Atlético (who I'd love to add personally), or Laporte from Bilbao defensively. Your guess is as good as mine but they'll certainly be a few more quality additions as the squad get's rounded out the coming months for next year. Mention of our on-going interest in Goretzka too. 

£75m Virgil van Dijk joins Naby Keita in Jurgen Klopp's masterplan to strengthen Liverpool's spine | Goal.com 

Hail. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

If Phil keeps up his level of play for the rest of the season, maybe getting the Reds to an FA Cup and/or Euro final, that price tag could reach the £150-175 mill. range. That could net Lemar AND Pulisic.

If Phil keeps up this level of consistency that's elevated him into the WC bracket this year for the rest of the season and follows it the WC, you'll be talking Neymar stupid World record sums I would have thought. 

Hail. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Watching this, I think we've signed Phil's replacement already! 

Hail. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

*Edit* Aking presuming you mean the January window. Otherwise, ignore the question. 

I think 100% he's gone by the summer, but I do think there is currently a chance he goes in January. Probably more so than previously.

For my money, Liverpool are locked in for that 2nd place with or without coutinho, you are set for a strong second half of the season. I'd argue you don't 'need' him to finish second. 

Barca must know his price can only really go up. Strong showing for the remainder of the season, then the WC which notoriously inflates prices on the top performers. Barca should see that price inflation risk, exactly as you say, maybe 140mil becomes 180-200mil in 6 months.

The difference for Liverpool is that yes they could hold onto him to reap that extra cash, but that's a massive sums to play roulette with. There's also talk of player swaps etc...

He's going, I think a compromise position could be reached in January.

First off, there's zero chance Coutinho is sold January. ZERO! If he does go, it won't be until the summer window at the least, 

From L'pools POV, van Dijk wasn't predicated on his sale the last window. It isn't this. The money was there to spend regardless of any sales. Coutinho has been nottin' but professional about everything so there's no fear he'd do a van Dijk and slacken off. European footie is starting back-up February. You don't want to weaken  yourselves and your chances of going deep there. And it would completely undo the jump in standing FSG have had with the van Dijk acquisition.  (Along with the massive policy shift to no longer being bullied into selling by anyone as Barca found out the summer just gone.). And from Barcelona's POV, they couldn't use him in Europe. 

If you'd of asked me the summer, I'd of said he'll definitely be in Barcelona come next summer. Never had a problem with that. Most top Brazilians have Barca or Madrid in their career path. That just is what it is. 

Now, I'm not so sure.

By all accounts they heavily want Greizmann. And for what he'd cost, they'd have to jettison a lot to have any chance of both to get within FFP regulations. Plus there's the threat of a possible ban hanging over them to start with. Before you even start on how Phil's price is going up by the passing game. 

I might be wrong, but Barcelona continually putting fake news out there that a price has been set by Liverpool is smacks of

setting up an out for them to turn around their support to say 'Liverpool wanted too much. We tried everything. But here's Greizmann as a bloody good alternative.'

Honestly not concerned at all about Coutinho leaving for the rest of this season. Complete non-story in January as much as it will be daily teadium all over the media.

Hail.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Was driving back from the beach (hope to be there full time in a couple years) listening to SiriusXM soccer channel pre-match show where an ex-Saint (can't recall who) was saying he thought that they needed a true #9. I said to the wife, "I'd sell em Studge for £35-40 mill. Would offset a good hunk of the VVD money. Or Ings for £15-20."

Sounds like we were listening to the same show and thinking the EXACT same thing (I was driving to North Carolina)  :ols:

I think it was the defender with the Italian name but he was British.  Bonnucci or something.

I think Phil's price is already there.  I'd love to get Lemar and Pulisic, but I'm still not 100% sure he's going to Barca.  We'll see.

• Like 2