Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I would amend that to be:

We don't have any forwards in the mold a Jozy.

We have a bunch of off strikers with potential. We do not have any other target men. Either Jozy works out or Jurgen will need to tweak his system. This is the perfect time figure out what Jozy had to offer the USNMT

Eddie Johnson, but he's almost 10 years older, just as lazy, and twice as volatile.  I think he was suspended more games for United than he had goals.

I'll agree with that, but still do you see any of the others scoring at a regular clip for club and country?

_77032345_luis_suarez_barca_getty.jpg

Altidore has his issues, and hasnt played well in England and Spain. But for some reason he plays decently well for the US for the most part. He is averaging a goal every 2.8 international appearances. Thats not outstanding and of course not at the level of world class strikers, but its not that bad. Thats also exactly the same rate that Dempsey scores goals.

Not denying that Altidore has issues, but he tends to play better at the international level. There is no arguing that he isnt a world class forward. But just because he didnt do much of anything in England and Spain at the club level doesnt mean he isnt at least effective internationally. There is also definitely no one that we have that can hold up the ball like he does as well as score goals.

Swap for Walcott?

Do y'all think the MLS has gone about it wrong and there should be a restriction on foreigners?

I mean I get trying to grow the brand, but for such a young league and Nation relatively speaking, putting everything into developing young Americans would seem to be a far more prudent way forward. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Do y'all think the MLS has gone about it wrong and there should be a restriction on foreigners?

I mean I get trying to grow the brand, but for such a young league and Nation relatively speaking, putting everything into developing young Americans would seem to be a far more prudent way forward. 

Hail. 

I'm sure you're tracking, but there are a few things standing in the way of the United States and being a World Football power:

4059040422_dd22dbd7f9_o.jpg

2008_NBA_Playoffs_Symposium_in_Taiwan_th

and to some extent....

wstrophy.jpg

Full disclosure... ANYTHING that is big in the States that gets played out on a world stage, we dominate.  The only problem with that is for the most part that consists of basketball.

MOST families start their kids in soccer at a young age cause it teaches them team work and is considered an entry level sport that is low impact.  Then they'll add in t-ball/baseball for more "advanced" team work and hand-eye coordination.

Then, the body is big enough to absorb and deliver hits in football.  All of our best athletes play football and basketball.  Not even close.  There is no competition.  There really is no organized development programs and what we do have is in it's infancy.  Jurgen realized that and is trying to remedy it.  It's his biggest project so far outside of scouting and recruiting eligible US MNT players.

You know my stance is and has been that the US has essentially caught up to the rest of the world in goal, the back four, and the midfield (maybe not any world class players now, but we've had a few at every position), but we've never had a world class striker.  Never.  And for me, Dempsey isn't a striker.  He's an attacking midfielder.  What we truly lack is the game in the final third.  If we can get that then we'll be in good shape.

Not sure that Jurgen's scheme with a target forward is what best suits the talent on the team (or as I should say, what the players on the team do best).  I do like that he trots out a lot of new blood and actually appears to be grooming players, something Bradley never did and something that Arena only did to an extent.

We've got a long way to go, but we're actually on the right track, now.

EDIT:  And no, I don't think there should be restrictions on foreigners in MLS.  In some cases that's the only way some teams can put a presentable side on the field.

I was talking to Brave about this on twitter the other day and we were comparing MLS teams and their styles of play to BPL teams.  Not the talent level, but the style of play.  Long story short, DC United don't have a ton of money to spend, so they invest heavily in scouting and "money ball" types and most of their high end selections are spent on back four players.  Why?  That's the easiest way to stay in a game, have a strong defensive team and hope you can nick in a goal off a set piece.  It worked well last year and they finished top of the Eastern table.  Didn't do so well in the playoffs, but they finished top of the table (I know, what's a playoffs? :P ).

But as far as putting a competative side out and getting exposure, it's perfect that the MLS is doing what it's doing.  I just wish more teams could afford more players and better players.  That'll force Americans to step up their games.

Edited by DC9
  • Like 1

A foreigner restriction on MLS would turn it into an older version of college soccer, which is 95% unwatchable. I think MLS is pretty unwatchable. Another problem is that the same old managers keep getting recycled and it's the same managers that came through about 40 years ago (barring the new blood of course) with the same tired ideas.

I had high hopes for Caleb Porter. In college, he really shook things up with his Akron teams.

I'm on both ends of the spectrum—I see a lot of talent coming through the youth ranks in my area which isn't even a hotbed like NoVA/MD. But we need to bridge the young talent through to their late teens. In recent years US Soccer set up the Development Academies and that's been a good thing but is it enough. Where, I believe, Europe pulls away is in the mid to late teen years. 

When our kids hit high school age, they lose half a year of training to high school soccer. Then the best graduating kids go into a wasteland of development called college soccer where coaches are limited to about six months of contact with their players. So in the years where we need to be polishing our prospects they actually take a step backwards. 

MLS can focus on taking American players but unless the pipeline is fixed, they'll be taking substandard players. 

So Sterling makes the absolutely ****ing braindead decision  to go public and say he's turned down 100 grand a week. But it's 'not about the money.' He has a SERIOUSLY over inflated opinion of himself. 

A 20 year old kid who's done next to nothing in the game and who's career consists of 3 VERY up and down years. 

Cut ties and rape Madrid for all we can. (Or even better Arsenal or Chelsea if they're ****ing stupid enough to pay ridiculous money for what is just 'potential.'). 

Well done Raheem. You've now opened yourself up to dogs abuse from opposition fans the rest of the year. Starting at Arsenal on Saturday. And if your performances don't improve, doubtless many Liverpool fans too.  

Bad advice or not, he's a stupid, ****ing imbecile. 

Egotistical little prick who I've heard for a while wants out of the City. But you try not to run with rumours.

Good riddance. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

I hope Ibe gets a run when he gets healthy...Maybe Raheem will see just how replaceable he really is.

As far as limiting foreign players in MLS:

in terns of player development, I see good and bad.

Good- Young American players get to play more than the would in other leagues. With more playing time, they will get better.

Bad- The league will not be highly competitive. The young MLS players will not face fierce competition. This will limit their growth potential and subsequently limit US Soccer's chances of being a world power.

Edited by jobaga
  • Like 2

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho 2m2 minutes ago

Rodgers confirms that Daniel Sturridge has trained today and should be fine for Arsenal game on Saturday. #LFC

Rodgers: "Raheem is not going anywhere this summer." #LFC

Rodgers on Sterling: "As a club we've shown that (money doesn't come into it). If the club doesn't want to sell, it won't sell."

0 retweets 0 favorites

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho 1m1 minute ago

Rodgers: "For Raheem, it's purely about the football. What the kid is trying to do is put off talk about him being all about money."

Tony Barrett @TonyBarretTimes 10m10 minutes ago

Rodgers: "If his ambition is trophies, that's perfectly aligned with what we want. This is Liverpool. It's an honour for him to be here."

36 retweets 15 favorites

^^^ Love this

As he makes plans for his replacement. 

Hail. 

Oh I'm sure he's just tired of his petulance

I respect BR today for doing this.  May as well up his price as you inferred earlier this page.  We need the money.

• Like 3

Was that not the game last season you was 4 goals up inside 20 mins or something? I was at a bar in Cincinnati, naturally I arrived at the bar in the 21st minute!!!!

Nah, that was the home game when we destroyed them 5-1. 

Lost 0-2 at Arsenal and got a real lesson early doors. Then completely played them off the park in the Cup at the Emirates but Sturridge never had his shooting boots on, their resi 'keeper now at Swansea played out of his skin, and we contrived to lose. 

Hail.