Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Annual Pre Season/Season Where or how can I watch the game thread. Version 2010.(M.E.T.)

Quixote

There is no reason for them to black out the Pregame stuff!

Agreed. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the NFL continues to punish out-of-market fans! I have paid for NFL Sunday Ticket every year since 1995, and also always subscribe to the sports package so that I can see Comcast Sportsnet and they always black out pregame and the other Redskins shows. It bugs the hell outta me! I guess I should be thnakful they at least allow us to watch the postgame .. and THAT doesn't even make sense! WHY require a blackout of the PREgame and not the POSTgame?! :doh:

Jackasses!

Okay folks anyone know of any way to catch this on an iPad? My laptop crapped out the second I got home and I don't think any of the websites will work on an iPad! Major frown!!!

That's why I refuse to buy an iTampon. While I agree with Jobs that FLASH sucks, it's right now a fact of life if you want to use the Net. HTML5 is a LONG way from replacing FLASH content. But in typical crApple fashion, they flipped the birdie to their customers and said "No Flash For You."

Why people buy their proprietary, closed architecture products is beyond me! It's like Playskool computing. If you wanted a slate computer, I would have suggested a Tablet PC which can be a slate AND/OR a laptop. And does SO much more that an iMaxiPad!

As to sites that stream without FLASH .. I don't know of any.

Just went to NFL.com. And not only will they let you sign up to listen to Sam & Sonny, they'll let you sign up to watch the preseason games.

(And they have something they call "Game Rewind", which supposedly lets you watch the regular season games. Nothing on their site says the games are delayed, but with the name "Rewind", I assume it is.)

So I may actually be watching the game, tonight, not just listening to it.

Just watched on the NFL Preseason stream, and it's great. HD is obvious and looks great. Sonny and Sam were about a second ahead of the video, which spoiled a catch now and then, but much better than listening to the Bills broadcast or radio team (which were also options).

The preseason IS LIVE. And it's also like TiVo, so stopping, skipping commercials, etc is all fair game. You can also chose to watch four games at once, whether they're on live or already played. I caught some of the Eagles and Raiders after watching the first half of tonight's game before jumping back in for the 4th quarter.

$40 for the preseason minus the cost of buying beers in a bar makes this a decent service. Being able to pause to answer the phone is great too.

Btw: There's a FAQ for Rewind (another $40) that says regular season games have to be watched the next morning, iirc. That's in another thread around here somewhere.

As to sites that stream without FLASH .. I don't know of any.

You mean like YouTube?

Youtube also utilizes FLASH. They HAVE added HTML5. Theare one of the few sites that do right now. They also don't stream live events. At least yet, anyway.

Fair enough. ;^) I shoulda included the smilie on the last post.

I think long term you'll see more HTML5, but for now, yeah, the iPad/iPod/iPhone don't make good NFL watching machines. But then neither do netbooks, as I understand it. Too underpowered when you try 1080p. I think the real advance with the iPad is that it actually can do video well, though the hardware is such that it'll only really run one codec. And I understand Apple not wanting Adobe to have the same power Microsoft was afraid Netscape or Sun was going to have.

But let none of this erase the awesomeness that is NFL Preseason Live on a good laptop! ;)

Fair enough. ;^) I shoulda included the smilie on the last post.

I think long term you'll see more HTML5, but for now, yeah, the iPad/iPod/iPhone don't make good NFL watching machines. But then neither do netbooks, as I understand it. Too underpowered when you try 1080p. I think the real advance with the iPad is that it actually can do video well, though the hardware is such that it'll only really run one codec. And I understand Apple not wanting Adobe to have the same power Microsoft was afraid Netscape or Sun was going to have.

But let none of this erase the awesomeness that is NFL Preseason Live on a good laptop! ;)

That's why a tablet PC is much better than an iMaxiPad. You can use it as a full blown, full powered laptop (not an underpowered netbook) or you can fold it flat like an iPad. The nice thing is that you can use multitouch like the iThing, you can use the on screen keyboard, or you can use the hardware keyboard. And it supports FLASH, so you can go to any site. Granted they are not quite as light or thin as the iPad, but the tradeoff is worth it.

HTML5 is at least 5 years from widespread acceptance (probably longer). It's a huge undertaking. And that's why Jobs was shortsighted in abandoning FLASH. As much as I hate FLASH with a white hot hatred -- it is archaic and absolutely a HORRIBLE way to distribute video -- it is also widespread and literally the vehicle of choice. And we are stuck with it for the foreseeable future. Not supporting it with a $400-$800 device is just dumb!

.. and I got the smilie! ;)

Well .. I guess I'm far off topic of the Skins. So I'll quit bashing crApple! :ols:

• 2 weeks later...
That's why a tablet PC is much better than an iMaxiPad. You can use it as a full blown, full powered laptop (not an underpowered netbook) or you can fold it flat like an iPad. The nice thing is that you can use multitouch like the iThing, you can use the on screen keyboard, or you can use the hardware keyboard. And it supports FLASH, so you can go to any site. Granted they are not quite as light or thin as the iPad, but the tradeoff is worth it.

HTML5 is at least 5 years from widespread acceptance (probably longer). It's a huge undertaking. And that's why Jobs was shortsighted in abandoning FLASH. As much as I hate FLASH with a white hot hatred -- it is archaic and absolutely a HORRIBLE way to distribute video -- it is also widespread and literally the vehicle of choice. And we are stuck with it for the foreseeable future. Not supporting it with a $400-$800 device is just dumb!

.. and I got the smilie! ;)

Well .. I guess I'm far off topic of the Skins. So I'll quit bashing crApple! :ols:

I know Apple's the big target now, but every time I bet against Steve Jobs I tend to get buried.....

Archived