Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

lehighvalleylive.com:Philadelphia Eagles' offensive line posing major question for coach Andy Reid

Big Blue Joe

More at the link

The Birds have been in camp at Lehigh University long enough to have the offensive line declared the major crisis point.

"You can't have the interceptions, you can't have the sacks and the quarterback's running around way too much with the pressure that he is getting right there, so we've got to take care of that,"
Reid said.

Reid, characteristically, tried to turn the wobbly line into a sort-of positive by pointing out how well the Eagles' defense is doing against it. Nice try, coach.

It's fair to note the line is missing two starters, guard Todd Herremans and center Jamaal Jackson. And replacement center Nick Cole has been hobbling and missed some practice Saturday.

But anyone who has watched the number of times Kolb has been saved only by the no-hitting-the-guy-in-red rule from a rampaging defensive end, the number of times defenders have sailed utterly unmolested into the backfield, the number of times passes have been knocked down and the number of times Kolb has been forced to play impromptu running back knows injuries don't comprise the entire problem.

Left tackle Jason Peters is not the problem. He's a Pro Bowler and looks like it.

But things aren't quite so sweet elsewhere on the line.

I've watched first-round draft pick Brandon Graham whip Winston Justice enough to know that if a rookie -- even a gifted one such as Graham -- can do that, experienced types such as Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck and Dwight Freeney sure can, too.

Stacy Andrews has been OK on run-blocking but has been getting beat on pass plays and Reid noted he needs more work as well. Cole has been playing hurt and Mike McGlynn is stepping in, not that he has any choice; he's almost the last healthy center in camp.

Anybody else think maybe Reid could have used one of those 13 draft picks on an offensive lineman? It's not that the group's not trying; all they talk about is learning and working hard and their work ethic is universally praised.

"I think that's what camp is for, gelling and building ... camaraderie (on the offensive line),"
Justice said.
"I think this line is really accomplishing that."

That may well be. But it is not accomplishing the primary goal of keeping Kolb upright, unhurried and unhurt.

More at the link

The Birds have been in camp at Lehigh University long enough to have the offensive line declared the major crisis point.

"You can't have the interceptions, you can't have the sacks and the quarterback's running around way too much with the pressure that he is getting right there, so we've got to take care of that,"
Reid said.

Reid, characteristically, tried to turn the wobbly line into a sort-of positive by pointing out how well the Eagles' defense is doing against it. Nice try, coach.

It's fair to note the line is missing two starters, guard Todd Herremans and center Jamaal Jackson. And replacement center Nick Cole has been hobbling and missed some practice Saturday.

But anyone who has watched the number of times Kolb has been saved only by the no-hitting-the-guy-in-red rule from a rampaging defensive end, the number of times defenders have sailed utterly unmolested into the backfield, the number of times passes have been knocked down and the number of times Kolb has been forced to play impromptu running back knows injuries don't comprise the entire problem.

Left tackle Jason Peters is not the problem. He's a Pro Bowler and looks like it.

But things aren't quite so sweet elsewhere on the line.

I've watched first-round draft pick Brandon Graham whip Winston Justice enough to know that if a rookie -- even a gifted one such as Graham -- can do that, experienced types such as Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck and Dwight Freeney sure can, too.

Stacy Andrews has been OK on run-blocking but has been getting beat on pass plays and Reid noted he needs more work as well. Cole has been playing hurt and Mike McGlynn is stepping in, not that he has any choice; he's almost the last healthy center in camp.

Anybody else think maybe Reid could have used one of those 13 draft picks on an offensive lineman? It's not that the group's not trying; all they talk about is learning and working hard and their work ethic is universally praised.

"I think that's what camp is for, gelling and building ... camaraderie (on the offensive line),"
Justice said.
"I think this line is really accomplishing that."

That may well be. But it is not accomplishing the primary goal of keeping Kolb upright, unhurried and unhurt.

McNabb's letting out a big sigh of relief right about now...

:fingersx:

Please self destruct Philly. :)

Am so glad we got McNabb. Philly fans are so classless, they don't deserve a stand up guy like him. When the iggles are losing game one and their fans inevitably start boooing Kolb, Reid and the team, I will be content knowing their collective misery, and will smile about it. :pfft:

:fingersx:

Please self destruct Philly. :)

Am so glad we got McNabb. Philly fans are so classless, they don't deserve a stand up guy like him. When the iggles are losing game one and their fans inevitably start boooing Kolb, Reid and the team, I will be content knowing their collective misery, and will smile about it. :pfft:

What was McNabb last year?

What's on paper? The Giants were 4-2 in the NFCE last year. Do you think their talent just evaporated?

Somehow, a new coach, some additions and subractions and people are screaming that the Redskins wont be in last. Just wish it was that easy for everyone else. Or expecting Terrel Davis and Elway back? I understand having optimisim but i dont think the learning curve to the 3-4 is going to be great in one off season.

Somehow, a new coach, some additions and subractions and people are screaming that the Redskins wont be in last. Just wish it was that easy for everyone else. Or expecting Terrel Davis and Elway back? I understand having optimisim but i dont think the learning curve to the 3-4 is going to be great in one off season.

Its been that easy for the Cowboys ;) Hell if that happened to them the media would declare them SB champs

What's on paper? The Giants were 4-2 in the NFCE last year. Do you think their talent just evaporated?

no, I just think they will struggle that's all. The have some talent for sure, and are well coached. Can Eli repeat last years performance? We shall see......??

i do keep forgetting abut all the injuries they had last year in the secondary AND the additions they made, so i guess im under estimating them there, and if healthy the Dline is very good. Im thinking 6-10 to 9-7 and and yes, ahead of the Eagles.

The skins have a real shot at one of those last to first teams or last to playoff teams.......I hate it, but its true.........

I'm not sure you understand the difference between a Zorn coached team and a non-Zorn coached team...

I honestly don't know how we only lost to you guys by one point last season.

Just sayin.

I'm not sure you understand the difference between a Zorn coached team and a non-Zorn coached team...

I honestly don't know how we only lost to you guys by one point last season.

Just sayin.

So using this logic we will be Super Bowl Champs next year because we REALLY had the Saints beat last year.

Winston Turnstile Justice, nothing new here :D

If the OL's injury and playing wows continue AR will add more packages with the mobile Vick.

Winston Turnstile Justice, nothing new here :D

If the OL's injury and playing wows continue AR will add more packages with the mobile Vick.

Justice had a really good year last season. It would be insane to weigh his poor performance in one game three years ago more than his performance as a starting RT for 17 games.

Archived