Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Football 2010 Week 1: Boise St vs VT tonight (discussion here)

SkinsHokieFan

Ah...we now can begin the long march through the horribly uninteresting regular season games in hopes of seeing one or two compelling games in October or November before the mythical national championship is all but decided in the SEC title game' date=' leaving us only a never-ending, anti-climatic series of Bowl games.

I love college football.[/quote']

Meh

Regular season games are slightly interesting but the worst are the cupcake games...they should honestly be abolished

The games are not competitive at all, everyone knows who is going to win, and one of the best parts of sports is the unpredictable nature, so who wants to watch Texas pummel Rice 55-3

Yep - that's Bobby.

Speaking of Bobby...

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?story=17022&cat=exclusives

Bowden Makes Surprise Visit

By John Antonik for MSNsportsNET.com

August 31, 2010

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – From time to time West Virginia coach Bill Stewart likes to spring little surprises on his football team. Well, Stewart gave his team a big surprise before they took the field for Tuesday’s practice when he asked legendary Hall of Fame coach Bobby Bowden to say a few words to his players and coaches.

Bowden, in town today for a function with his wife Ann, talked about his 57-year coaching career that included a 10-year stop at West Virginia University as both an assistant coach for Jim Carlen and his six-year head coaching tenure that ended in 1975.

“When the Florida State job came open in 1976 they called and asked me if I wanted to be their football coach. My wife and I had no desire to go back down there at the time,” he said. “I remember, we didn’t decide until the last second because at West Virginia we were going to bowl games and having winning seasons and Florida State was 3-8 and 1-10 and zero and 11. But we were both from that part of the country and our mothers were still living and we felt like we could spend the last part of their lives with them, so we decided to go back down there.”

As he does whenever he is in front of large groups, Bowden started his speech with a story. This one was about a certain freshman walk-on offensive guard he coached at WVU named Bill Stewart.

“We were out at practice one day and all of the boys were on the field ready to go and Bill was standing there by the fence in his street clothes,” Bowden said with a straight face. “I said, ‘Hey Bill, we’re out here practicing, why aren’t you dressed and ready to go like everybody else?’ He said, ‘Coach I’m dying – I’m just hurting all over.’ We had had a scrimmage the day before.

“I said, ‘Well, where are you hurt?’ He said, ‘Everywhere wherever I push. If I push right here it just kills me, if I push over here it kills me.’ I said, ‘Gee, we better find out what’s wrong here.’ So we sent him over to the medical center and they called back and they said, ‘Coach, he broke his finger.’”

The room erupted with laughter.

Bowden touched on last year’s Gator Bowl when his Florida State team came back to defeat the Mountaineers 33-21 in his final game as collegiate coach.

“The difference in the game was we got your quarterback and you didn’t get ours,” Bowden said. “Quarterback is such a valuable position. People say, ‘Who is the most valuable football player?’ I say quarterback and it’s true. It was a pretty even football game up until that point.”

Bowden mentioned some of the things he always made sure he told his football teams.

“All you need to think about is doing the best that you can do,” he said. “You can’t do any better than that. You can’t worry about are we going to win? You can’t worry about are we going to lose? You can’t worry about if we lose or if we win? All you can think about is doing the very best that you can do. Prepare yourself to do the best that you can do.

“Another thing I always talked about to my boys here at West Virginia and my boys down at Florida State is do not repeat mistakes,” he continued. “Coaches are serious about that. Do not repeat mistakes. Everybody is going to make a mistake, but you don’t want the guy that just keeps making the same mistakes over and over and over. He can’t play for you and he’s not going to win for you.”

Bowden also touched on the importance of players behaving themselves and understanding the obligation they have of representing their school and state.

“The big thing you have to do, and it’s very tough these days, is behaving yourself. Now that I’m not coaching anymore I look in the paper and I see where a kid got in trouble over here and another one got in trouble over there. I don’t have to worry about that anymore. I used to hate the phone call at 2 o’clock at night, ‘Coach Bowden, one of your boys has got in trouble.’”

He then mentioned the three things he always tried to instill in his football players.

“What I told my players was as a coach, No. 1, I wanted them to be the best players they can be,” Bowden said. “No. 2, I want them to be the best students they can be. Don’t neglect those grades now. Football can be taken away from you just like that. You can be playing football today and be out of it tomorrow, but that education, it goes to the grave with you, so be sure to concentrate on making good grades. And I want my boys when they leave to be spiritually better. I want them to have faith and trust.”

Bowden finished his impromptu remarks by emphasizing the difference between having good players and having a good team.

“You know how everybody talks about getting your best players on the field? You’ve got to get the best 11 players on the field, move a guy here or there to get the best 11 out there, well, I always liked this statement: Don’t give me your 11 best players, I want the best 11,” he said. “Which 11 guys can fit in the best to make the best team? I don’t care how many good players you’ve got, it’s not always the team with the best players that win. It’s the best team that’s going to win.

“When I was a kid your age growing up they would run you out of here if you mentioned love. How can love and football be compatible? Well, I’ll tell you how. When the boys love each other they’ll fight for each other. When the boys love the coaches, and the coaches love the boys, they’ll fight for each other. It just draws you together and I think y’all have got that here,” Bowden said.

The former coach added, “The second team I look for every Sunday morning in the newspapers is West Virginia. I’ll be keeping up with you guys.”

I agree. Unless they can work out some sort of deal like Notre Dame has, BYU can pretty much forget a BCS invite.

The thing is they won't, maybe they have a false sense of worth but its never gona happen. No major conference will want them either due to their religious affiliation and not playing sports on sunday

Archived