Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Memorial Tats

halter91

All of my tats are memorials to people, places and times in my life but to answer more to the point I have 1 tat that was designed to honor 1 person.

I got it 2 days after Jerry Garcia died. It's a dude sittin' between 2 mushrooms, the bottoms of his sandals read "Thanks" and "Jerry".

Anyone have any tats in honor of someone? If so, what do you have? I'm thinking of getting one next weekend for my grandmother who passed away last year.
My wife has our sons foot print with his name arching over top and his birth and death dates under the heel. I will eventually get a similar one on my right upper arm.

let me rephrase, I would like to get something in her honor.

The point still is would you not remember to honor her if you didn't get the tat?

She cannot see it and hopefully you would remember her without the tat.

I just don't get the point of memorial type tats. Maybe it helps with the grieving process but hopefully you would remember that person regardless of some ink on your skin.

I'd love to see if there are any stats but tats seem to be everywhere now a days.

The point still is would you not remember to honor her if you didn't get the tat?

She cannot see it and hopefully you would remember her without the tat.

I just don't get the point of memorial type tats. Maybe it helps with the grieving process but hopefully you would remember that person regardless of some ink on your skin.

I'd love to see if there are any stats but tats seem to be everywhere now a days.

Perhaps then, you shouldn't enter a thread specifically about Memorial Tattoos? Perhaps?

No one asked for your opinion on memorial tats. The thread was started to get ideas for a memorial tat. I will remember my son, till the day I die. But I don't have my son to introduce to anyone. No one can see my son. I am proud of him. He taught me more about life and what is important in 5 mos and 11 days than I learned in my previous 26 years. So the point isn't whether you understand memorial tats. The point is I understand them. And since the tat will be on my body and not yours, tip your hat and move along.

Couldn't agree more Popeman. I have a portrait of my son Tommy that is amazing. Tommy passed away at the age of 2 in 2008. His little brother never got to meet him but kisses his brothers face on my shoulder everyday.

Perhaps then, you shouldn't enter a thread specifically about Memorial Tattoos? Perhaps?

No one asked for your opinion on memorial tats. The thread was started to get ideas for a memorial tat. I will remember my son, till the day I die. But I don't have my son to introduce to anyone. No one can see my son. I am proud of him. He taught me more about life and what is important in 5 mos and 11 days than I learned in my previous 26 years. So the point isn't whether you understand memorial tats. The point is I understand them. And since the tat will be on my body and not yours, tip your hat and move along.

It really doesn't matter that you don't understand. I'm willing to bet there are quite many things you don't understand.

In response to all and you, it was a question. I was asking also if it helped with the grieving process. Just because I don't understand it I cannot ask about it?

Sorry to those of you who lost someone and you choose to memorialize them in a tat, but I was asking questions about it. The fact that people got so defensive about a random person asking about it and not understanding it is interesting to say the least.

In response to all and you, it was a question. I was asking also if it helped with the grieving process. Just because I don't understand it I cannot ask about it?

You think your writing style was not in the least judgmental?

"Hopefully, you would remember her without the tat?" The implication is that the person doesn't have it in them to remember without the tat. It's effective communication 101. If you don't see that, then you have very little understanding about how the words you are using are being interpreted.

I can empathise with those who have lost someone close to them and want to make a memorial, but I dont get the whole tattoo memorial thing either. I respect your right to do what you want its just not what I would do. no offence, it just seems melodramatic to me.

Ive lost someone very dear to me, but me personally ,I wouldnt wnat people asking me about it every day after seeing a tattoo.

People who are grieving can do some really weird stuff tho, one of my first jobs out of college was working in a print shop and a lady came in and made a calendar out of pictures from her sons funeral! No joke, pictures of her son in the casket and everything! I didnt even know what to say.

to the people attacking someone for posting their opinion on here or asking a question, this is a DISCUSSION forum, not everyone is gonna have the same opinion, if you cant take differing viewpoints then dont post here.

You think your writing style was not in the least judgmental?

"Hopefully, you would remember her without the tat?" The implication is that the person doesn't have it in them to remember without the tat. It's effective communication 101. If you don't see that, then you have very little understanding about how the words you are using are being interpreted.

It was clarifying the poster above Kosher Ham's post when it was questioned.

I was in no way trying to degrade someone that did get a memorial tat just trying to understand the rational. Especially with shows like Miami Ink there were a ton of people recently getting memorial tats or other tribute type tats. It seems to be happening a lot more and I was curious as to if it helped with the grieving process.

A tat while a personal thing is usually visible expression of something and something so hurtful as having to recount the memorials of a lost one is not something I can imagine people want to talk about. Thus I was interested in why the sudden trend towards memorial type tats.

Sorry for all those I offended. I will review my language a little more closely in the future to avoid offending people unintentionally.

I don't have any tattoos but my uncle and cousin both have done this. My uncle's is an eagle on his left shoulder and underneath are my grandfather's (his father) initials. My cousin got a cross with a ribbon wrapped around it. The ribbon wraps around the cross 4 times, each line representing each of his grandparents, two of whom have passed away and two that have not (though one, unfortunately, has alzheimers).

I'm not really into tattoos, but if I were to ever go that route it would probably be in this regard.

I have an Italian flag on my leg for my grandparents on my dad's side and I'll be getting an Israeli flag on the other side for my grandparents on my mom's side. Once I get the second flag I'll be wrapping them with the family names.

I also have a "21" with my Redskins tattoo.

Sorry to those of you who lost someone and you choose to memorialize them in a tat, but I was asking questions about it. The fact that people got so defensive about a random person asking about it and not understanding it is interesting to say the least.

I may have over reacted a tad with my post. But I am sure you can understand why this would be a touchy subject. I should have crafted my response in a less confrontational manner. You did not offend me, just caught me in the right spot at the wrong time. I do think your post was a bit off, but since mine was as well I guess I can't be throwing any stones, glass house and all.:taz:

I may have over reacted a tad with my post. But I am sure you can understand why this would be a touchy subject. I should have crafted my response in a less confrontational manner. You did not offend me, just caught me in the right spot at the wrong time. I do think your post was a bit off, but since mine was as well I guess I can't be throwing any stones, glass house and all.:taz:

I think that was where my general interest was. If the subject is so touchy wouldn't a tat drive that conversation a lot? I should've had more tact with such a possibly emotional type thread. My apologies.

Either way no offense was meant, sorry for your loss.

Archived