Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who will become D.C.'s 2nd Most Popular Athlete? (poll)

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, last year we did 'D.C.'s Most Popular Athlete'. That question was clearly answered and it's a waste to even ask that question again because that position is wrapped up until the Skins are a winning team again.

So now, a year later, we ask who is D.C.'s SECOND most popular athlete or really in this case, who will be in the next few years?

it's a waste to even ask that question again because that position is wrapped up for the next decade

So you are assuming the Redskins won't be good again for a decade? Because as soon as we start winning again, it's going to be Ovie-who?

It's been 20 years and counting. No reason to believe anything will change. :(

DC is a Redskins town before anything else. Even modest success and the players will be showered with adoration.

Ovie is a place holder for now.

McNabb is a Redskins so that alone makes him the most "known" athlete in D.C. but being known doesn't mean most popular and liked. If he does well, that will all change. If the Redskins continue to suck, I'm inclined to go with Strasburg. I mean he doubles attendance every start he has. He already probably has near 50% of all Nationals jerseys sold. If the Redskins do well, McNabb. I just can't put my faith in the Redskins making a deep playoff run.

being known doesn't mean most popular and liked

Win or lose, the Redskins are still the most popular team in DC. Even when they suck, they are still more popular than the Caps.

When they win, they will not only have the most popular athlete in DC, but the 2nd, 3rd, and maybe 4th.

Ask this question again in the fall.

EDIT: Now I am not disputing that today its Ovie, then probably Strasburg, then Wall or Cooley. But the question was "who will be in the next few years."

When the Redskins are good, it will be McNabb or someone else, then the 2nd most popular will depend on the time of year, and how that current team is doing, did the previous year, etc. But I laugh at the idea that Ovie has most popular locked up for a decade, and that we can determine who is going to be more popular over the next few years.

Win or lose, the Redskins are still the most popular team in DC. Even when they suck, they are still more popular than the Caps.

When they win, they will not only have the most popular athlete in DC, but the 2nd, 3rd, and maybe 4th.

Ask this question again in the fall.

I don't need an education about the D.C. sports landscape thank you.

I don't need an education about the D.C. sports landscape thank you.

Then don't state something as highly opinioned as "Ovie is the most popular athlete for the next decade" as fact for an entire region of fans.

Otherwise you come off uneducated.

I remember reading an article a while back about the differences between going to a Ravens game and going to a Redskins game. One of the things that really hit home was the fact that when you go to a Ravens game, you won't be able to avoid seeing a Ray Lewis jersey without closing your eyes. Sure, there are others. But there are popular jerseys, and then there's Ray Lewis. And that means something that goes beyond Ray Lewis, just like the fact that the Redskins have no equivalent jersey means something that goes beyond Clinton Portis, or Chris Cooley, or Santana Moss.

Well, when you go to a Capitals game, there are "other" Caps jerseys, and then there's Alex Ovechkin.

For at least half a decade, when you go to Nats games, there will be "other" jerseys, and then there will be Stephen Strasburg.

I don't think the same will hold true for John Wall unless Leonsis puts a remarkably unique team around him that can contend for a title, but doesn't feature any other real stars. Wall will probably be a great player, but he's not a once-in-a-generation talent like Ovechkin and Strasburg. If the Wiz are successful, you'll see Wall jerseys mixed pretty evenly with the jerseys of one or two other big-time players.

McNabb would have to win a Super Bowl to become That Guy for the Redskins, and even then he still might feel like too much of a rental. Cooley, I love the guy, but tight ends just don't reach that level. If any Redskin has a shot, it's Orakpo, but he's only going into his second year. It would take a while.

Strasburg it is.

Then don't state something as highly opinioned as "Ovie is the most popular athlete for the next decade" as fact for an entire region of fans.

Otherwise you come off uneducated.

It's implying that things stay the way they are. If things change and the Skins become a playoff team then everyone knows whoever is the spearhead will jump to #1.

Besides didn't I say McNabb being a Skin made him the most "known" athlete in D.C. immediately. Now whether or not that is your definition of popularity, you could say then that McNabb is the most popular athlete in D.C. but he has to earn that as far as I'm concerned and an 8-8 or 9-7 wild card season isn't going to do it. If he wins us the division, then I think yes, he leaps to #1 immediately.

Boston will always be a Red Sox city but I've lived there and Big Papi and Pedroia ain't the most popular athletes. That'd probably go to Paul Pierce or Garnett (yes in that short an amount of time).

It's implying that things stay the way they are. If things change and the Skins become a playoff team then everyone knows whoever is the spearhead will jump to #1.

Besides didn't I say McNabb being a Skin made him the most "known" athlete in D.C. immediately. Now whether or not that is your definition of popularity, you could say then that McNabb is the most popular athlete in D.C. but he has to earn that as far as I'm concerned and an 8-8 or 9-7 wild card season isn't going to do it. If he wins us the division, then I think yes, he leaps to #1 immediately.

Boston will always be a Red Sox city but I've lived there and Big Papi and Pedroia ain't the most popular athletes. That'd probably go to Paul Pierce or Garnett (yes in that short an amount of time).

Women love Cooley, there is no way McNabb is more popular than Cooley. I am willing to bet if you asked women only who their favorite Redskin is, 90 percent would say Cooley.

Brady???

I'm amazed Wall is beating Strasburg though.

You have to take into account that DC is a pretty big basketball city. If Wall ends up being as good as everyone thinks he can be, he will probably end up being the most popular player in DC. Just think about how popular Arenas was a few years ago and stretch it out over a few years.

Wall will be massive.

Fair enough. Feel like I might have come off a little dickish early, if so, my bad.

On to the bigger point...how great for DC sports is it that this is such a debatable point?

Archived