Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who will become D.C.'s 2nd Most Popular Athlete? (poll)

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Plus Ghost likes Deadliest Warrior and is named after a badass video game character, so he's cool :cheers:

Thanks ACW, you're a pretty cool dude yourself! And while I did grow up just south of Waldorf, MD, I moved up here after college and have been up here since the end of '07. I was never much into college sports, only vaguely followed the Terps on the periphery of my sports world. I never really followed the NBA, and yeah, being near Pittsburgh which has no major NBA team leaves me even more oblivious than before.

I know all the Redskins (obviously), I know who Strasburg is depsite being (barely) on O's fan (of whom I know Markakis, Roberts, Weiters, and Jones), and being in Pens territory, I DEFINATELY know who Ovetchkin is (man, do they hate him up here....).

It's called "Pittsburgh," thanks for your concern.

Oh also, I don't follow basketball (which I gather from the thread is what he plays), at all.

You're welcome. I'm surprised you've never heard of him considering the fact ESPN coverage has IMO made him the biggest college star in a while.

In all fairness he didn't get near the coverage of LeBron and he isn't going to bring the Wizards a championship on his own. If he becomes a "super star" more than likely he will move to a team that has a shot at winning a championship, unless other super stars join him in DC.

Regardless he played for one of the most recognizable college basketball teams of all time and dominated ESPN's college basketball coverage for most of the year. Just saying...

Just a little NBA factoid for all of you Wizard hopefuls, only 8 different teams have won NBA championships over the past 32 years. Talk about top a top heavy league. Wall will need some some company to accomplish anything over the next 5 years.

I'm not so sure about that.

You just see more upsets in the NHL due to the "hot goalie" factor.

No. The NHL actually has parity. The NBA, though I have watched since I was like 6, is a joke of a league with a super-conglomerate of teams that might actually win.

Better than being a perennial lottery team. Plus any team in the East is beatable, especially Boston and Orlando.

Ahh so the goal of the teams without multiple super stars is to not become a lottery team?

How many times do you think the Wizards are going to beat Miami?

Ill take 0 for 100 Alex. ;)

With this latest fiasco of super stars calling the shots, the NBA has become a joke of a league.

Ahh so the goal of the teams without multiple super stars is to not become a lottery team?

How many times do you think the Wizards are going to beat Miami?

Ill take 0 for 100 Alex. ;)

With this latest fiasco of super stars calling the shots, the NBA has become a joke of a league.

Who cares? Did you stop watching the Redskins because they've been getting **** on for the past two decades?

Everyone knows we're not winning the NBA championship any time soon. But a winning team beats out a losing team any day of the week. Miami isn't the only team in the league we'll be facing every year.

I'm not so sure about that.

You just see more upsets in the NHL due to the "hot goalie" factor.

Only 8 NBA teams have won a championship over the past 32 years. Two of those teams make up almost 2 thirds (chicago and LA) of the national chamionships with in that time period.

Wall isn't going to be that popular because the Wizards will continue to be mediocre, unless...... some other all stars join him. Without the other All Stars, Wall is just another Arenas.

Only 8 NBA teams have won a championship over the past 32 years. Two of those teams make up almost 2 thirds (chicago and LA) of the national chamionships with in that time period.

Wall isn't going to be that popular because the Wizards will continue to be mediocre, unless...... some other all stars join him. Without the other All Stars, Wall is just another Arenas.

Arenas at one time was the most popular athlete in DC. No single player in DC in the last 10 years has generated the buzz Arenas did when he was sinking game winning buzzer beaters against the Bulls in the playoffs

Arenas at one time was the most popular athlete in DC. No single player in DC in the last 10 years has generated the buzz Arenas did when he was sinking game winning buzzer beaters against the Bulls in the playoffs

Although I don't live in the DC area, I think you're wrong here. Ovechkin is the man in DC.

Yeah man that was something. Great fade away shot that was.

BUT

Ovechkin's hat trick vs. the Penguins in round 2 was even greater. Even sweeter cause Sidney had a trick in the same game but they lost...that game...

Although I don't live in the DC area, I think you're wrong here. Ovechkin is the man in DC.

Of course he is... now. But like I said, that playoff series against the Bulls, Arenas was a GOD in this town. He was the talk of the town and had ALL the sports spotlight on him. Right now Ovechkin, who I think will go down as the best athlete to ever play in DC, is sharing the spotlight with many others.

Yeah man that was something. Great fade away shot that was.

BUT

Ovechkin's hat trick vs. the Penguins in round 2 was even greater. Even sweeter cause Sidney had a trick in the same game but they lost...that game...

The thing is, most people remember that series for the overall disappointment that we blew a 2-0 lead against the hated Pens and eventually got embarrassed in Game 7 on our home ice.

Even though the Wizards got swept by Miami in the following round, they still created this vibe around the city that no other pathetic team at that time had in years. In that particular moment, no player in DC area created more of a buzz than Arenas did. Hell, the following two seasons when Arenas was sinking daggers and had the whole "swag" thing going on, people were going crazy. It's quite unfortunate how his career derailed after his injuries but Arenas at one time was the sole superstar this city had. And whatever people say, Arenas definitely hit superstar status in the course of his career.

People can say whatever they want about him, but the mans supporting cast stunk. His best supporting cast, Jamison, Haywood and Butler, couldn't even help Nowitzki and LeBron get past the 2nd round.

Who cares? Did you stop watching the Redskins because they've been getting **** on for the past two decades?

Everyone knows we're not winning the NBA championship any time soon. But a winning team beats out a losing team any day of the week. Miami isn't the only team in the league we'll be facing every year.

Over the past 5 years my dislike for the NBA has surpassed my dislike for MLB. A lockout will be the icing on the cake.

People watch the NBA because of the Super Stars, for instance, look at the Wizards attendance, when is it at it's highest? When an opposing teams super star is in town, just saying the Wizards fan base is as fairweather as it gets. Wall and the new ownership will help, in order for Wall to become as popular as Cooley or Ovie, he will need to win a Championship.

Arenas or Sean Taylor, who was more popular?

What about Joe Gibbs? (I know he's not a player, but I'm willing to bet Gibbs was more popular during Gilberts hay day.)

Over the past 5 years my dislike for the NBA has surpassed my dislike for MLB. A lockout will be the icing on the cake.

People watch the NBA because of the Super Stars, for instance, look at the Wizards attendance, when is it at it's highest? When an opposing teams super star is in town, just saying the Wizards fan base is as fairweather as it gets. Wall and the new ownership will help, in order for Wall to become as popular as Cooley or Ovie, he will need to win a Championship.

I don't think that's true. Like you said, this is a fairweather town. If Wall makes us a perennial playoff team, people will watch him and he will be popular especially if he becomes a top 5 PG like many expect him to be. This team was very popular with Arenas, Jamison and Butler, and two out of the three were extremely boring to watch. I think the current make up of our squad has a chance to be more exciting.

What about Joe Gibbs? (I know he's not a player, but I'm willing to bet Gibbs was more popular during Gilberts hay day.)

Arenas was more popular, especially post Bulls series. Let's not forget that at one point Arenas was going toe to toe with Kobe and dropping 60 points on him at Staples center. Arenas was an EPIC player and the city loved him. He was truly the only superstar in town. Nation wide, he had the best selling DC jersey for quite some time.

Joe Gibbs was more popular, especially when it was announced that he would be coming back. But that's a little bit unfair as Gibbs already had such a monumental legacy. But this is only if we broaden the criteria and count sports figures

Arenas. Vishal is right that Arenas when he was healthy ran this town individually. But still, the buzz in Chinatown back then when I went to Wiz games was not as much as the buzz in Chinatown for the Capitals. With the Wiz, we were just happy to make the playoffs and second round was really the ceiling of success. With the Capitals, we believe we can win a championship.

People can say whatever they want about him, but the mans supporting cast stunk. His best supporting cast, Jamison, Haywood and Butler, couldn't even help Nowitzki and LeBron get past the 2nd round.

That's what makes the NBA so pathetic, without the supporting cast, your team will suck and never win championships.

Carmello is calling his super star buddies as we speak talking about which team will give them the best chance to compete with Miami. Wizard fans better hope Leonsis is all over the him and a at least one other to team up with Wall next year. At that point, is Wall going to be more popular or is ________?

Archived