Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When would you consider trading Bailey?

Ax

I know this is premature, but what would be the $$$ number you would not cross in order to sign Champ long term. Could we get the same amount of compensation now verses tagging him with the franchise next year? How much is too much. He sounds like he wants Ray Lewis money. Would you give it to him?

The opening offer is lower than they expect to pay I'm sure. But it would make him the highest paid CB according to published reports. How much more is he really worth.

No way do you go above $15 mill for SB, that's just ridiculous. He's not a game-changer, he's a great shut down corner who proved last year that he cannot return kicks or play offense.

He wants Deion Money and hopefully Snyder will not be provoked into giving it to him and will franchise him instead.

Originally posted by riggo-toni

The offer they made him is fair. I love the guy, but NO WAY is he worth an $18m signing bonus. He's not Ray Lewis, he's not even Urlacher.

He IS one of the 2 or 3 best CBs in the NFL, and if we offer to make him the highest paid CB, that's fair imho.

Totally agree with you riggo... he has an excellent offer on the table. If he sticks on $18M - franchise & trade.

I was just thinking about this last night. I hope Snyder has educated himself on the basics of football. You don't need a great CB to have a great defense. Just look at Baltimore and Tampa Bay. I would like to trade Champ for a few defensive linemen. Namely Jimmy Kennedy, Little, Winstom, etc. If you have a good front seven that puts pressure on the QB the CB's will look good because the QB will have to hurry his throws. This would lead to interceptions. If we had a good front line that could consistently put pressure on the QB, then players such as Bailey are expendable.

the truth of the matter is one of the reasons Redskins' players are so hard to resign is the perception they get from seeing a lot of the free agent moves that the team is full of money and pays everyone else, so why not THEM :)

that perception and the dose of reality that reinforces it, has made us have to pay absolute top dollar to resign Jansen and Bailey.

they see Deion get megabucks for one year. they see Coles get $13 million after one breakout season. Etc, Etc.

now at some point the Redskins are going to have to say no to somebody.

it was convenient to cut Wilkinson because he performed poorly in 2002 and Davis because he didnt' mesh with the new coach.

But there will come a time when a bona fide core player leaves because of the money.

I would definitely see what is out there in a trade before I would give him a signing bonus that would swamp the team if he were injured.

I don't really care about the signing bonus, but I would try to pay between 5 and 6.9 million a year, and probably go into the 7s but I'd take the draft picks at 8 or 9 a year

we did not pay top dollar for Jansen, I think it was a fair deal considering the level of his play, hell it was worth it for the Purdanish worry-free factor

When he needs a walker and gums his food at 80 years old. He to me is another (though much taller and bigger) Darrell Green. All they need to do is offer the man a life time contract, put a little incentives to it, and get it done.

I don't think he should get more than 15.5 max. He's a very very good corner but he simply does not take one half of the field away. We're going to have to deal with Arrington's contract and Samuel's contract soon. We're going to need to spend some money in the offseason addressing the needs on the DL. In addition to our DT woes, Bruce will be gone and we'll have no legitimate pass rusher. Champ is worth a lot but we need to keep it in perspective. He is not worth anywhere close to Ray Lewis numbers and we haven't exactly been the most successfull team in the league with him. I say keep him if we can but franchise him before paying him $18 and take the 2 first rounders if someone offers him that.

Another big problem with the money issue is the fact that most of the negotiations are done through agents. Agents don't represent teams, they just represent individual players and can give a **** what team they are on as long as that specific team is paying the most money. In ALL FAIRNESS the Skins should get the "unwritten price break" that agents/players are supposed to give to a team that re-signs them to a long term deal, but I haven't heard anything regarding this come out of Champ's mouth. I love watching Bailey on the field and it would suck to lose him, but crippling the outlook for 2004 & beyond is something this organization can't do. We already went down this route in 2000 and it is STILL hurting a bit.

The offer I saw would make Champ the highest paid CB in the league and give him the highest signing bonus for a CB. How in the hell can that not been seen as a GREAT DEAL? Champ should see that, coupled with a core of talented young players, and just come to the realization that his future could be bright here. Or he could go to some loser team like the Cardinals and decide he wants to make 500000000 million dollars to be on a losing team for the rest of his career.

Archived