Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting to dislike Directv

expensivegift

A very cloudy day with no sun means no TV as the satellite will keep searching and searching. Will this mean I will have no tv in wintertime? Damn...

UPDATE: So about 20-30 min later I get signal back. yay. But this def happened before. Hopefully this won't happen again and especially during winter. I have to say that the clouds are very heavy. I don't know what happened.

And I would have gotten Fios if my neighborhood had it. According to the Verizon rep some neighborhoods don't have it, particularly older ones. Mine was probably made in the 80's and I think this neighborhood doesn't want their roads to be dug up for Fios. Newer developments should probably have it though but I would definitely have gotten Fios since the price is almost the same (I have Verizon triple play btw) but better performance. Oh well....just as long as I have gotten my tv back I am happy though.

A very cloudy day with no sun means no TV as the satellite will keep searching and searching. Will this mean I will have no tv in wintertime? Damn...

I'd call them. I have Dish and I was watching TV all through the two blizzards. They may have to adjust your signal or come out and redirect your dish, but weather shouldn't be affecting your signal in 2010.

Something is wrong with your set up.

As the other poster said I had TV throughout the Blizzard in February with basically no outages.

You shouldn't be having this issue and it probably means that your dish has become misaligned or a tree branch or something has grown in the way.

I had a similar problem. Last month, the slightest clouds would give me the searching for satellite. I called cust service and told them to send someone out, they did, 30 minutes of adjustments (peaking the dish) and now I only have problems in severe down pours and even then it is watchable.

They tried to walk me through checking a bunch of stuff, but I called at night (on purpose) so that I couldn't really do anything.

i've been with direct tv for almost 3 years now, and it destroys the competition. i've had it all. comcast, time-warner, hell even rocked with dish network for a few months.

Direct TV > everything else

definitely call, some clouds shoulnd't make a big difference. i'm here in washington state where its cloudy/raining almost 3 days a week and i've NEVER had a single problem.

i've had DirecTV for about 6 years now and can count on one hand the number of outages i've had. about once a year, a particularly brutal thunderstorm will pass over and because of the thick cloud cover, reception will get knocked out for about 20 minutes.

the only time it's been longer than that is during our record blizzard this winter. the dish is at such an angle that normally snow doesn't accumulate on it, but because of this storm's severity, we got 12+ inches of snow piled up on the dish and that knocked reception out for about half a day (i remember because it was super bowl sunday, when the caps came back from being down 0-3 to beat the penguins ... reception came back JUST in time).

if you are losing reception on typical cloudy or rainy days, there is something wrong.

i've been with direct tv for almost 3 years now, and it destroys the competition. i've had it all. comcast, time-warner, hell even rocked with dish network for a few months.

Direct TV > everything else

definitely call, some clouds shoulnd't make a big difference. i'm here in washington state where its cloudy/raining almost 3 days a week and i've NEVER had a single problem.

I appreciate your opinion, but I would love a run down on why Direct TV 'destroys' the competition. Also where does FIOS fit in your list?

Please do not say NFL package. B/C here in DC we get the games for free.

Thanks in advance.

I appreciate your opinion, but I would love a run down on why Direct TV 'destroys' the competition. Also where does FIOS fit in your list?

Please do not say NFL package. B/C here in DC we get the games for free.

Thanks in advance.

The DVR definitely destroys Fios.

Other than that it's all about preference. I'm still debating whether to switch when I move next month because Fios is better for movies while DirecTV is better for sports. After the last 2 weeks of DirecTV adding more national HD they are about even there with 95%+ of the same HD channels.

There is also concern that Fios has abandoned their Fios service as far as expansion and so you have to wonder if they will spend the money necessary to come out with better DVR's and things like that. They are also running out of room to add more HD (despite people thinking they have unlimited room) are possibly going to start moving some of the SD off to make room.

With that said - Fios and DirecTV are clearly the best options available for TV service.

The DVR definitely destroys Fios.

Other than that it's all about preference. I'm still debating whether to switch when I move next month because Fios is better for movies while DirecTV is better for sports. After the last 2 weeks of DirecTV adding more national HD they are about even there with 95%+ of the same HD channels.

Thanks for the input -

My list of importance -

1) # of HD channels

2) robust DVR

3) How much better the Customer Service experience is VS. Verizon( I can't deal with Verizon Customer service. I believe them to waste more of your time then any other company)

i've got DirecTV and my parents have FIOS. compared to DirecTV, the FIOS channels look badly compressed. watching football at their place, i definitely notice the signal compression moreso than at home.

They might want to call Fios and have them resend the signal. That was the case for my friend and it turned out to be something with his set up and/or his signal.

Fios should be at least as good looking as DirecTV . . . if not better.

I've had DirecTV, Comcast, and FiOS at some point. I'd rank them like this:

FiOS

DirecTV

Comcast

FiOS has a great on-demand selection, a bunch of HD movie channels (I'm pretty sure every HBO channel is in HD on FiOS), and I don't have a problem with their DVR. I've got over 10 hours of stuff on there and its like 70% full.

DirecTV is great for sports, but since I live near all the teams I root for, I don't have a need for Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings, etc. But if I lived away from the area, I would definitely have DirecTV to watch the Skins' games.

Comcast was horrible. Their on-demand selection was good, but other than that nothing special. Not nearly as many HD channels as FiOS or DirecTV and their customer service sucked.

3) How much better the Customer Service experience is VS. Verizon( I can't deal with Verizon Customer service. I believe them to waste more of your time then any other company)

That's weird, I just had a great customer service experience with Verizon. We noticed our bill last month was $15 more than last month. Called them and they forgot to add in a $15 credit that we were supposed to get for 6 months. So they added the $15 for an additional 6 months and gave us free HBO and Cinemax for 3 months. Which is great since Entourage started over the weekend. I was happy with that call.

Thanks for the input -

My list of importance -

1) # of HD channels

2) robust DVR

1) They are almost even in the amount of HD channels. National channels are at least 95% the same and probably more. Some notable channels that are being added soon to DirecTV are AMC HD and BBC America HD. I believe Fios has both of these already. Premium channels like HBO Verizon has them all while DirecTV is still adding some of them.

2) DirecTV has a better DVR and it's not even close. The Motorola Fios box is the biggest downside of Fios for me - I have so many shows on auto record that I'd fill that thing up in a few days. DirecTV has at least 5x as much storage space.

3) I've never had a problem with customer service but I can tell you it varies greatly on how good you are at speaking with the right person. If I get a bad CR I usually just hang up and call back or ask for a supervisor. It's rare I'm unhappy with my service so I don't need to do this much.

That's weird, I just had a great customer service experience with Verizon. We noticed our bill last month was $15 more than last month. Called them and they forgot to add in a $15 credit that we were supposed to get for 6 months. So they added the $15 for an additional 6 months and gave us free HBO and Cinemax for 3 months. Which is great since Entourage started over the weekend. I was happy with that call.

I had to deal with Verizon for work, cell and for home service. It just got to the point between the transfers of calls, and all the other BS, I would average 15-30 minutes for any call I made to them.

I have been systematically removing them from my life and I am a much happier man for doing so.

I had to deal with Verizon for work, cell and for home service. It just got to the point between the transfers of calls, and all the other BS, I would average 15-30 minutes for any call I made to them.

I have been systematically removing them from my life and I am a much happier man for doing so.

Understandable, I spent 3 hours on the phone with Verizon before trying to get a charge cleared when I never had the service installed. So I know how annoying it can be to deal with them sometimes.

But we have FiOS TV, Phone, and Internet. FiOS internet is amazing. Its really quick and we never have any problems with it. When we had Comcast internet, we had to peridoically reset the router because the internet would just die. Since we've had FiOS, I haven't even touched the router. Plus its nice that you don't need a wireless router because wirless is bulit into Verizon's router.

Understandable, I spent 3 hours on the phone with Verizon before trying to get a charge cleared when I never had the service installed. So I know how annoying it can be to deal with them sometimes.

But we have FiOS TV, Phone, and Internet. FiOS internet is amazing. Its really quick and we never have any problems with it. When we had Comcast internet, we had to peridoically reset the router because the internet would just die. Since we've had FiOS, I haven't even touched the router. Plus its nice that you don't need a wireless router because wirless is bulit into Verizon's router.

I want FIOS so bad. But I have been boycotting Verizon for the last year....hoping that this thread sways me.

Archived