Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question about iPhone Launch Day

#98QBKiller

I camped out at Target when Xbox 360 came out (don't judge me I had nothing else better to do and I made $100 for getting a friend of mine one too) and I got there at 10pm and the store opened at 8am. I was the 12th person in line at that point. So I'd recommend getting there as early as possible.

No judging here, If I were off work tomorrow I'd probably do it too.

Yeah if you can't wait out there all night, it might not even be worth it. I'm sure there are people waiting out there right now lol. I remember seeing something on Gizmodo a few weeks ago that right after it was announced at WWDC, someone already started camping out at his local Apple store.

Has anyone here tried to hit an Apple store on launch day? I'm considering going to the one here early in the morning. They open at 7 am, do people actually camp out for the launch of something like this or would I be ok with getting there at 6am?

People camp and I've gotten there around that time in the past. I was usually #50-#75 when doing that.

Yeah if you can't wait out there all night, it might not even be worth it. I'm sure there are people waiting out there right now lol. I remember seeing something on Gizmodo a few weeks ago that right after it was announced at WWDC, someone already started camping out at his local Apple store.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I know AT&T will have some phones in-store on the 29th. I imagine things will have settled a little by then so maybe I'll just wait it out 5 more days.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I know AT&T will have some phones in-store on the 29th. I imagine things will have settled a little by then so maybe I'll just wait it out 5 more days.

I mean I guess you could try to get there at 6am and see how bad it is. Maybe you'll luck out.

Wish I hadn't picked up the 3GS back in October.

Cell phones are even more frustrating than computers - you buy one and 3 months later a phone twice as good comes out for the same or lower price.

This is very true. I bought the BlackBerry Tour last July, was touted as the best BB for Verizon. They discontinued it 2 months ago lol

I preordered the first day and squeeked in before they closed down the pre-orders. Wife just called and said it was sitting at the door. Wierd I thought Apple flagged everything to require signature. Not complaining.

I never would wait in a line for any phone. The first one and the 3G I got them about 1 or 2 months after release.

Could've been the first person if I went at 6am:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/dc/iphone-frenzy-comes-to-dc-area.html?hpid=artslot

Sherman Callis wins.

The 24-year-old Temple Hills man arrived at the Georgetown Apple store at 6:30 a.m. Wednesday to stake his claim on the No. 1 spot in line for the latest iteration of company's smartphone, the iPhone 4. By Thursday morning, there were hundreds behind him. It was a scene repeated throughout Washington-area Apple stores.

About 50 lucky souls queued up in a pre-order line at the Georgetown store, an option that was blocked for most customers after Apple was deluged by more than 600,000 reservations and stopped allowing them.

The rest had to try their luck against the store's unknown inventory, a plight that fueled fast friendships among customers who lounged on coolers and camp chairs in a line stretching down Wisconsin Avenue and up M Street NW.

"We're a family here," Charles Robinson, 23, said of his new pals. "We don't know about everyone else, but we're a little family."

Store employees helped lift the mood, plying weary customers - many of whom didn't sleep -- with water, poppy seed bagels, blueberry muffins and strawberries.

It may be all some get. Rumors swirled this morning about the number of devices available in the store.

One TV station said there could be as few as 10.

At the No. 39 spot in line, 29-year-old Jay Plater-Zyberk, who got in line at 12:15 a.m., said he's not worried. A store manager told people in his section that "we're okay," he said.

Plater-Zyberk said he and others in his section had worked overnight to maintain the integrity of the queue. About 2:30 a.m., they spotted two women and a man who appeared to slip in near the front of the line.

A solution was devised to rip up about 60 pieces paper, number them and hand them to everyone in line, proof if they needed to call out other cutters.

The promise of more than 100 new features has helped fuel excitement about the device, customers said. For Callis though, like many others in line, it seemed to be all about the new front-facing HD video camera.

"It's just amazing, man," he said.

Amazing enough to justify 25 hours in line? Callis thinks so.

"I wouldn't exchange the experience for anything," he said.

-- Mike McPhate

i got a chance to play with one of my coworkers this morning.

its pretty sweet, no denying that.

but i'm happy with my droid incredible.

i started laughing to myself when she was like "it takes video and you can change the wallpaper" lol

lol those are the people that don't need smartphones

Archived