Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP J.Reid: Q&A with Jammal Brown

SkinsTribeVA

It's nice to hear him talking about winning a Super Bowl in D.C., but I wonder if he said it because he is supposed to or if he really believes that it's possible in the near future. If he really thinks it can happen, then that says a lot about how the rest of the NFL views the changes we've made in the FO and on the roster. Perhaps now fans of other teams aren't seeing us on the schedule and thinking 'easy win'...

Great feeling either way!!!

From what I could gather from the Saints board, a lot of people down there think that Brown played better when he was at RT.

That would be funny since Brown went to the pro bowl twice as a LT. :)

I think the main reason Brown is a RT here is b/c the Redskins are satisfied, for now, with rookie Trent Williams' progress at LT.

That may change when the bullets really start flying in preseason, but we'll see.

Brown is happy for now in being traded to a team that wants him.

Understandable.

But when it comes to contract he is going to negotiate based upon a view of himself as a pro bowl caliber left tackle.

Hopefully, Shanahan told Snyder he is going to need to open his wallet to make this trade work out for Washington long-term.

That would be funny since Brown went to the pro bowl twice as a LT. :)

I think the main reason Brown is a RT here is b/c the Redskins are satisfied, for now, with rookie Trent Williams' progress at LT.

That may change when the bullets really start flying in preseason, but we'll see.

*shrug*

Just reporting what I see. Trust me, when word of the trade first got out I automatically assumed we'd pull a Michael Oher with Trent and play him at RT for a couple years while Brown locked down the left side, then reevaluate when necessary. Even if Trent's looked great at LT, I figured the coaches would feel more comfortable with a guy who's actually faced NFL speed in a full game because the protection of our new, somewhat injury-prone QB is paramount. So far, the most logical explanation I've found on the Saints board is the pretty popular opinion that while Brown was very good at LT, he was great at RT.

I liked the interview. I like that he's willing to play RT but believes he can play LT. That could come in quite handy depending on how Trent's rookie year goes.

Long-term, I like the idea of keeping Trent at LT and using Brown at RT. It gives us the POTENTIAL to have a franchise LT for the next 10 years instead of a 3-5 year solution at LT. We always have Brown as a backup plan at LT if something happens.

And, as others have said, I love what this does to our depth. Hicks is now a guard and Mike Williams is now depth. If we stay healthy, we could have 7 or 8 solid OL...imagine that!

Hopefully! And if Trent struggles early on, now we don't have to be afraid to move him to RT for a season or two. Let's hope Trent lives up to his potential though. I got faith!

Thats my thought process also.

Should Silverback have some problems they can easily switch players.

You have to like the fact that a two time pro-bowl left tackle and OU alum is going to be tutoring the rookie.

Great stuff, almost like a puzzle piece fitting in just right.

Love the move, but I'm still concerned with our interior depth. It's not that I'm worried about the starters, it's that I think our backups are frail and/or underqualified.

Hopefully Shanny can work his magic and turn a couple of these low round picks into good players. That's how coaches can make personnel men look like geniuses.

So why don't they put Trent on the right and Jammal on the left? At least for Trent's rookie season?

mainly because you dont draft RT's at #4

they'll give Trent every opportunity to show he can lock down the LT position before considering a change

the best part about this deal, is that should Trent Williams not succeed at LT (hopefully he'll be great), we have someone who can fill in with no problems

i told myself i'd try to wait until week 9 to start getting excited, but with each move they make its getting harder and harder not to!!

and its not just the amount of talent we're picking up, but the price that we're getting is whats really setting the new regime apart from the old cerrato circus...

god dammit!!

Question: What about this situation seems ideal for you?

Brown: "I just think coming here, playing for Coach [Mike] Shanahan -- I watched him in Denver -- I like the scheme of offense that he runs. The zones, things like that. I'm gonna come in; they want me to play right tackle.I still think I'm a left tackle, but I'm going to do what they want me to do. I know they got my college teammate Trent [Williams] on the left side. We'll see how that all plays out. But I'm going to play wherever they want me to play. I'm just excited to be here and to be a part of a first-class program."

This was my favourite part. Brown is the opposite of Haynesworth. He'll play a different position if it means playing and making a difference. This guy is a class act.

That was a very good and informative interview.

I promised myself that I wouldn't get excited about any part of our team during the offseason this year. But it's very hard after trades like this.

We now have two starting OT's on either side of the o-line who are both very athletic. Wow.

Archived