Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forbes.com: Vick, Jerry Jones Among The Most Disliked People In Sports

http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/18/vick-tiger-woods-roethlisberger-business-sports-disliked.html

Michael Vick has been out of prison for almost a year. He's publicly apologized for his role in a dog-fighting ring that landed him behind bars for 21 months. He's got an uncontroversial year on the football field behind him as a part-timer for the Philadelphia Eagles, who have picked up his option for another season.

Yet Vick's image rehab is moving along at a snail's pace. For the second year in a row he tops our list of Most Disliked People in Sports, with 69% of those polled citing Vick as someone they "Dislike a lot," "Dislike," or "Dislike some" according to E-Poll Market Research...

To measure public opinion of sports figures, E-Poll surveyed 1,100 people nationwide, aged 13 or older. Forbes limited eligibility to those currently active in sports as a player, coach, manager, broadcaster, agent or owner. A 10% minimum awareness level was also a prerequisite (that eliminated drug-using cyclist Floyd Landis and money-grubbing baseball agent Scott Boros, both very much disliked by the few but anonymous to the many).

Right behind Vick in this year's poll: Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis, a longtime maverick with a history of clashing with the NFL, coaches and politicians in northern and southern California over stadium deals that have led him to move the club twice. Also making the list is fellow renegade NFL owner Jerry Jones, who likes to run the Dallas Cowboys as more of a freestanding business than as part of a league.

Vick doesn't deserve to be on this list . . . but it just shows how backwards America is when it comes to animals. Whatever . . . to each their own I guess. At least Jerry is on this list, as we all know how hated he is outside of Texas (or maybe just Dallas).

Let's get some electric cord and duct tape and go talk about it. :ols:

Vick doesn't deserve to be on this list . . . but it just shows how backwards America is when it comes to animals. Whatever . . . to each their own I guess. At least Jerry is on this list, as we all know how hated he is outside of Texas (or maybe just Dallas).

I was about to say the same thing. Kobe Bryant and Big Ben allegdy did some things, but nobody "dislikes" them as much as Vick. To take it out of sports, Robert Downey Jr. and Marion Barry were train wrecks, now one can't do nothing but make blockbuster movies and the other is still helps makes decisions in Washington,DC.

Dog fighting is wrong, I know that. But the man did his time and trying to move on, but people still "dislikes" him. RCR26 got it right, America is backwards.

I was about to say the same thing. Kobe Bryant and Big Ben allegdy did some things, but nobody "dislikes" them as much as Vick. To take it out of sports, Robert Downey Jr. and Marion Barry were train wrecks, now one can't do nothing but make blockbuster movies and the other is still helps makes decisions in Washington,DC.

Dog fighting is wrong, I know that. But the man did his time and trying to move on, but people still "dislikes" him. RCR26 got it right, America is backwards.

That makes no sense...RCR26 thinks "America is backwards" because our views on animals makes us dislike him, not simply because we still hold contempt for Vick. As for Ben and Kobe, if it was proven that a rape occurred, they would be far, far, more hated than Vick. But so far it hasn't been proven that Big Ben actually committed a rape, and Kobe's accuser had all sorts of problems in her story. That doesn't show America's backwards...if anything, it shows America believes in the "innocent until proven guilty" mantra we all claim is so important.

That makes no sense...RCR26 thinks "America is backwards" because our views on animals makes us dislike him, not simply because we still hold contempt for Vick. As for Ben and Kobe, if it was proven that a rape occurred, they would be far, far, more hated than Vick. But so far it hasn't been proven that Big Ben actually committed a rape, and Kobe's accuser had all sorts of problems in her story. That doesn't show America's backwards...if anything, it shows America believes in the "innocent until proven guilty" mantra we all claim is so important.

I figured I'd chime in since you are taking the liberty to speak on my behalf. I said that America is backwards because we seem to love animals - specifically dogs - so much so that we will crucify a guy for dog fighting. There is no disputing that dog fighting is wrong . . . and that Vick appeared to take it to an extreme. With that being said though, people who hate Vick are willing to look the other way or barely even blink when they read about rapists, murderers, etc. Seriously, it's ridiculous. I disagree with your belief that Big Ben would be more hated than Vick if rape was proven . . . just because the girl wasn't a dumb loyal animal who makes people feel happy when they are sad.

And we Americans do not believe in innocent until proven guilty . . . because again, Americans were torching Vick even before the damn thing went to trial. We all know Big Ben is a scumbag . . . But he was given the full "innocent until proven guilty" pretense. I'm sorry, but there are far more egregious things in life than hurting animals. And people need to put things into perspective. Hurting animals - especially knowingly - is wrong. But damn . . . with Vick it's like he killed dogs, punched a baby in its face, stole from a grandma, burned a cross, raped a girl, and then killed someone.

I figured I'd chime in since you are taking the liberty to speak on my behalf.

So you take exception for him "taking the liberty to speak" on your behalf but you have no problem speaking on behalf of the American public? So the eff what if Michael Vick did his time. That doesn't wash away the sin. And for what it is worth I don't like Ben Roethlisberger, Kobe Bryant, Robert Downey, Jr. or Marion Barry either. But please don't try to downplay the abhorent act that Vick participated in. It doesn't matter that there are more heinous acts that are done. He killed animals for fun.

And who has their world backwards when they think Jerry Jones deserves to be on the list but not Michael Vick? Yeah, it's America that has their priorities screwed up. :doh:

I figured I'd chime in since you are taking the liberty to speak on my behalf. I said that America is backwards because we seem to love animals - specifically dogs - so much so that we will crucify a guy for dog fighting. There is no disputing that dog fighting is wrong . . . and that Vick appeared to take it to an extreme. With that being said though, people who hate Vick are willing to look the other way or barely even blink when they read about rapists, murderers, etc. Seriously, it's ridiculous. I disagree with your belief that Big Ben would be more hated than Vick if rape was proven . . . just because the girl wasn't a dumb loyal animal who makes people feel happy when they are sad.

Vick 'appeared' to take it to an extreme? Dog fighting isn't an issue here. What Vick did is more akin to a sociopath's behavior in terms of his outright torturing of helpless beings. He electrocuted them, he threw them against walls, he drowned them. Dog fighting isn't the main issue here. His torture of LIVING BEINGS is what is the issue here.

And don't you dare try to generalize people who hate on Vick by saying they all 'look the other way' with rapists and murderers. Vick is in the same league as them in terms of his capacity to commit sick and deadly acts against other living beings. I already dislike Big Ben for his conduct that got him in that situation to begin with. But believe me when I say that if it were proven, people WOULD hate him. We, as a society, crucify proven rapists. Hell, rapists often times have to watch their backs in prison because the prisoners hate them.

So you take exception for him "taking the liberty to speak" on your behalf but you have no problem speaking on behalf of the American public? So the eff what if Michael Vick did his time. That doesn't wash away the sin. And for what it is worth I don't like Ben Roethlisberger, Kobe Bryant, Robert Downey, Jr. or Marion Barry either. But please don't try to downplay the abhorent act that Vick participated in. It doesn't matter that there are more heinous acts that are done. He killed animals for fun.

And who has their world backwards when they think Jerry Jones deserves to be on the list but not Michael Vick? Yeah, it's America that has their priorities screwed up. :doh:

Vick 'appeared' to take it to an extreme? Dog fighting isn't an issue here. What Vick did is more akin to a sociopath's behavior in terms of his outright torturing of helpless beings. He electrocuted them, he threw them against walls, he drowned them. Dog fighting isn't the main issue here. His torture of LIVING BEINGS is what is the issue here.

And don't you dare try to generalize people who hate on Vick by saying they all 'look the other way' with rapists and murderers. Vick is in the same league as them in terms of his capacity to commit sick and deadly acts against other living beings. I already dislike Big Ben for his conduct that got him in that situation to begin with. But believe me when I say that if it were proven, people WOULD hate him. We, as a society, crucify proven rapists. Hell, rapists often times have to watch their backs in prison because the prisoners hate them.

:applause: :applause:

First of all, I am not speaking on behalf of the American public. Nor am I trying to. I am speaking FOR MYSELF when I am making MY OWN claim that the American public is backwards for their obsession with dogs. Second of all, you are essentially saying that the justice system is worthless because a man can do his time yet still carry the stigma of whatever it was that sent him there. In your eyes, the fact that he served his prison sentence is irrelevant because what he did was bad. I'm sorry . . . I guess you and I just have a fundamental difference in what is really bad. Vick did his time. Let him live his life in peace without this witch hunt.

Ok . . . I can fully agree with you that Vick's behavior (NOT including the dog fighting) was abhorrent. But come on . . . most people (and I will generalize here because it is true) are more concerned with the fact that it was dogs. I mean hell . . . we just had a video posted in the tailgate that showed a deer pounding on a dog and then trying to stomp on a cat. The overwhelming majority said something to the effect of "poor dog, that dog didn't deserve it, the cat should've been pummeled, etc."

And yes . . . people are still after Vick in an odd way. And I see more people who are willing to protest Vick than they are willing to protest a murderer, rapist, etc. Everyone wants to find a BS cause for attention and the feeling of being involved in something. Let it go. I seriously think there are better things to do with your time than continuously bash Vick for his actions . . . no matter how abominable they are.

:applause: :applause:

Glad to see there are so many dog lovers here . . .

I disagree.

I hate Michael Vick, hope he rots in hell.

I Highly dislike Kobe for the rape thing. However, I can't fully hate him because the rape was never proven. That doesn't mean I can't despise him though.:ols:

On the other hand Vick was guilty. He deserves the anger he still gets. I'm sure a few dogs would love talk to you about it though since you feel its unfair.:ols:

Archived