Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

W-ex: Displaced Hicks likes trade

x96bryan10

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Displaced-Hicks-likes-trade-96731239.html

Displaced Hicks likes trade

By: John Keim

Examiner Staff Writer

06/19/10 8:30 PM EDT

He can now be called the anti-Albert Haynesworth. Change came Artis Hicks' way and his reaction? Go fishing and rave about the move. Before Hicks ventured out to catch some catfish in Tennessee, he praised the acquisition of Pro Bowl tackle Jammal Brown -- even if it means he'll no longer start at right tackle. Of course, it likely means he'll now start at right guard, with Mike Williams probably headed for the bench.

At least that's how it would appear when training camp starts six weeks from now. Hicks said he was told by line coach Chris Foerster that he would play right guard and that Brown would play right tackle.

"It's a great move, man," Hicks said. "The tackle situation will be shored up now... It's the best situation for the team, coming from last year you have to do everything you can to upgrade the roster at every spot. That's a definite upgrade at right tackle."

Hicks started two games at right guard for Minnesota last season and started 13 games at that position in 2004 with Philadelphia. It helps that he'll stay on the right side so he can at least line up the same way -- right hand down, right foot back.

"But it's the nuances of guard, learning the proper steps to take," Hicks said. "I have a general idea, but it's still different because I haven't done it all spring."

And, unlike Haynesworth, change does not bother Hicks.

"That's why they call it professional football," Hicks said. "You have to be willing at the drop of a hat... you might have to move over and try something new. Lucky for me it's not new, just a new system. I'm glad to have that guy as part of our offensive line. I know what he brings and I'm happy about it. I couldn't be happier."

Hicks has studied Brown for several seasons.

"The thing I'm most impressed with was his technique," Hicks said. "He has great athleticism and he can get out in space and move with those defensive ends. I used to watch his footwork and his hand placement a lot of times. ... We're back to learning again. That's the thing I love about this game; once you think you've got it, you have to learn something else.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Displaced-Hicks-likes-trade-96731239.html#ixzz0rM586itL

Thought this was a good read for anyone wanting to know how Artis Hicks felt about the trade. Long story short he thinks its a great idea.

Artis Hicks seems like a really solid addition to this team, both on the field and in the locker room. I'm glad he's here, whether he ends up starting or being a depth guy because of his hard working nature and versatility.

Keep bringing these kinds of guys in and shuffle the lard-butt money grubbers out the door, please.

I like when I read these articles and the guys who are new to the team say "we" when talking about last years team. Almost like they feel responsible for last year and improving on the sorry record. I think it really shows the quality and character of the people who have been brought in and that they really consider themselves Redskins eventhough they just arrived. Shanny and Allen have done such an amazing job restoring the culture and pride that players feel being a Redskin. I keep telling myself not to get excited for this season...but I can't help myself.

Kinda hard to be unhappy when you still have a starting position.

I wonder how Mike Williams feels...

Still isn't guaranteed. While I don't believe Williams will start, he could potentially take the spot from Hicks with a good showing in camp and preseason.

That being said, Mike Williams seems like a good guy who just had some weight and motivation problems earlier in his career. He was afforded the opportunity by our team to resurrect his career, so I don't think he would make a stink about not starting because he is, right now, the first guy off the bench at both right-side line positions. Who would have imagined that two years ago?

As I recall BMW wasnt really expecting to be a starter in an interview he did right after he signed hi contract. This move may take some pressure off of him and allow him to continue to improve his game. The guy is a class act and extremely hard worker. My guess is that he sees how this benefits him just as Hicks does.

Kinda hard to be unhappy when you still have a starting position.

I wonder how Mike Williams feels...

Mike Williams was out of football and eating Subway sammiches on his livingroom couch a year and a half ago, labeled a bust and dangerously overweight as his bank account kept dwindling by the hour.

Something tells me he's probably taking this in stride lol ;)

Archived