Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unemployment = Government Job?

Thiebear

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

We have interstate rest stops closed and parks closed why? We are paying people not to work there?

People that are unemployed and collected money that live close by should be putting in a few hours a day....

a few people get a job organizing it.

a few people get a job driving a bus to pick you up

a few people get a job doing the parks/rest stop various jobs

a few people get a job reviewing the work

= work being done where none is now, and no breaks in your resume.

Saw this local gov't posting site:

Positions in finance, accounting, auditing, budgeting, treasury, purchasing, billing, pensions, appraising, and related.

Positions in office administration or assistance, records management, city clerking, management analysis, marketing, public affairs or information, legal services, general grant writing, and related.

Positions in information technology/services, computers, programming, network administration, data processing, GIS, CAD and related

Positions in planning, zoning, land use, architecture, building inspection, code enforcement, housing, economic development, redevelopment, preservation, and related.

Positions in public works administration, engineering, utilities, airports, transportation, transit, solid waste, recycling, water, sewer, streets, storm drainage, facilities, fleet maintenance, and related

Positions in law enforcement, criminal justice, courts, corrections, victim advocacy, fire protection, emergency medical services, dispatching, emergency management, and related.

Positions in parks, recreation, golf courses, cultural affairs, library services, museums, zoos, leisure services, and related.

Most jobs in the government should be by those collecting unemployment?

Those skills then added to the resume for real work outside.

Every person that has been let go has a skill of some sort. The better the skill the higher the work.

Your goal is to get a good 6month review on your job.

Human Resources goal is to get you a job in the real world. To include themselves.

" The unemployed will not be considered thread gave me the idea"

If they are working and not sitting on a couch maybe more would be hired.

I'd be for it. Help us and help them. Also, one feels better about oneself while one is productive. You could even make it part time, say three days a week so that they could have two days a week to really focus on getting a traditional job. But yeah, get em in schools as tutors if they are qualified or parks or whatever.

Just curious, are you referring to all gov't jobs?

Short of the Military yes :).

People that currently work in the government are the same people you see in the malls/airports/metro... No different than anyone else.

I figure of the 23million working for the gov't (Local/Fed)

15% could be from unemployment.

Were not talking mental patients that talk to themselves while pushing their cart under the 14th st. bridge.

Were talking an out of work operations center technician specialized in Fiber doing 20hours a week fixing the communications in/around annandale. He keeps his skills up and the work is already paid for -

Fewer college grads have jobs than at any other time in recent memory—a report by the National Association of Colleges and Employers annual student survey said that 20 percent of 2009 college graduates who applied for a job actually have one. So, what should the unfortunate 80% do

Lots of people to choose from ...

Short of the Military yes :).

People that currently work in the government are the same people you see in the malls/airports/metro... No different than anyone else.

I figure of the 23million working for the gov't (Local/Fed)

15% could be from unemployment.

Were not talking mental patients that talk to themselves while pushing their cart under the 14th st. bridge.

Were talking an out of work operations center technician specialized in Fiber doing 20hours a week fixing the communications in/around annandale. He keeps his skills up and the work is already paid for -

I guess that I can see wher you are coming from. I am no longer in the military, rather a DOD Civilian (Gov't employee) that is currently deployed to Baghdad (atleast until next week when I finally get to head home). :)

The main problem that I see with your idea is that FED employees are paid by your (and everyone elses) taxes. Would you be willing to pay more taxes in order to hire those people that you are referring to? I am not saying that it is necessarily a bad idea. I know that I have been over here for awhile, but I am pretty sure that alot of Americans are against raising taxes any more than we need to.

I'd be for it. Help us and help them. Also, one feels better about oneself while one is productive. You could even make it part time, say three days a week so that they could have two days a week to really focus on getting a traditional job. But yeah, get em in schools as tutors if they are qualified or parks or whatever.

That was the crux of the debate a month or so ago. I think if you require all unemployed people to do this type of work for 20-24 hours per week in order to collect their benefit, you'd see much more productive process.

The main problem that I see with your idea is that FED employees are paid by your (and everyone elses) taxes. Would you be willing to pay more taxes in order to hire those people that you are referring to? I am not saying that it is necessarily a bad idea. I know that I have been over here for awhile, but I am pretty sure that alot of Americans are against raising taxes any more than we need to.

My idea would be that they have to fill these positions/do some sort of public works projects in order to receive their unemployment benefit. Right now, all they need to do (I believe) is prove that they are looking for a job. Spend 3 days per week contributing to society and 4 days per week job hunting.

While I think this is a good idea, because it will get people off the couch and feeling productive, if it were me, I'd say no. I put the money into the system, it's mine to use. I've worked 26 years (since I was 16) and contributed to it, so it's technically mine. But I think it would be a good idea to help people feel motivated.

While I think this is a good idea, because it will get people off the couch and feeling productive, if it were me, I'd say no. I put the money into the system, it's mine to use. I've worked 26 years (since I was 16) and contributed to it, so it's technically mine. But I think it would be a good idea to help people feel motivated.

The plan I would favor wouldn't give you a choice. There would be a period of time when an unemployed person would get benefits (a couple weeks, maybe) but then, after that, in order to keep getting benefits he or she would need to show up and work for a certain number of hours per week.

I agree that, after a few weeks, you should be required to put in 20 hrs a week or so doing something for the community. Human nature is what it is, for a lot of people, they'll take the money and use their time on unemployment to afford to put off finding employment. The path of least resistance. I think there's a good way there to help train people for work, get them back to regular jobs quicker and increase overall productivity.

You obviously don't understand how unemployment benefits work. The idea is to make it appear as if you are seeking employment, when you really aren't. For instance, you need to walk into a couple businesses a week and ask if they're hiring. If they say "yes", you need to get a business card from them and quickly exit (never to return). Then you can show that card(s) to the unemployment office as evidence of your job seeking odyssey. Remember, the more cards you can get the better it looks.

If we start forcing these people to actually work, say at State parks or rest stops, then they might wise up and decide that they want to get paid a salary (above and beyond their benefits), which might force them to find paying jobs. The entire system will then collapse and you will have ruined millions of vacations.

**disclaimer**: Not all people who collect unemployment benefits are lazy and useless. Many are hard working, skilled professionals, or even unskilled laborers, who have simply fallen on hard times and truly wish to find employment.

I offered to do this here in my state (WA) because I have skills that I could use to teach others that were unemployed. I told them that I was open to what ever days and hours they wanted and that I did not want any compensation other than the unemployment I was already receiving. I mean, they were paying me - they should get something out of it.

They're response? - No, you cannot do that because it violates your unemployment status.

How about if I come in at night? No - someone has to be here.

How about at a school or library at night? No- someone has to monitor that people are actually showing up.

But they were not training these other people who could use updated skills, or in some cases no skills, in using basic MS Office programs instead of just telling them that they needed it to go out job hunting.

The plan I would favor wouldn't give you a choice. There would be a period of time when an unemployed person would get benefits (a couple weeks, maybe) but then, after that, in order to keep getting benefits he or she would need to show up and work for a certain number of hours per week.

I was unemployed for 1 year back in 1999. I did not qualify for Unemployement and the only thing that made me feel motivated was to actually go out and work. I have a college degree, but there I was digging trenches for pipes, hauling pool equipment and being out in the hot South Floriday sun (I'm pasty white-burn easily) working for $100 a week for my dad.

So, I do agree with you that the programs might be good. BUT, like I said, I paid into it, so technically it's my money and I'm using it for the purpose that it was intended to be used for. You can exaust your benefits and it doesn't last forever. Good luck getting forcing people to do these programs. The state might have a lawsuit on their hands. Again, I think it's a good idea to get people off the couch and motivated to work again. You can easily get depressed and frustrated especially if, like me, you've worked and been self sufficient your whole life.

Archived