Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Compilation of June 2nd OTA Observations

Conn

Along the same lines as the thread I made for the last OTA, here are a bunch of different articles focusing on observations and notes from today's practice.

Thanks to Hap for finding the links. I'll quote some of the interesting stuff here, but I recommend clicking on each link, they all have different observations!

Hopefully we can get some good discussion going here, as we get closer to training camp, which really means, getting away from the drama of the dead part of the offseason, and towards real football!

Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Redskins-OTA-notes-observations-95445289.html

It's sometimes hard to tell how good Trent Williams is doing because he's always on the other side of the field from where we can watch. However, it's rare to see him getting beat (yes, OTAs, June; no pads, long way to go, etc). That's not to say that it won't happen, it will. But he's looked good enough so far to make you think he's a good pick. Obviously training camp will reveal a more complete picture. However, I'll also say he does a good job of recovering when he gets beat. His footwork and his long arms enable him to escape bad situations. What I'm most curious to see is when guys start setting him up, starting inside and then going wide. That gave him some trouble in college.
The defense is definitely ahead of the offense. Saw a number of interceptions today. Saw Lendy Holmes, Chris Wilson and Alvin Bowen pick off passes -- Andre Carter dropped one -- and a number of others bat them down. Rex Grossman was the most victimized. He did not look sharp. Holmes dropped another possible pick (from Grossman).
Carter was the No. 2 left ouside linebacker behind Lorenzo Alexander.
The Redskins worked on more deep passes today, especially the 25-yard outs. Donovan McNabb was on target with that throw today, squeezing a couple passes into tight spots. The best one? He stood strong in the pocket and then zipped a pass that landed just over the head of Kareem Moore to Joey Galloway, who was just in front of Reed Doughty. Another time he hit Anthony Armstrong on a deep out, just over top of Byron Westbrook. Colt Brennan did not have much luck on his outs
Others have pointed this out, too, but it bears repeating: the Redskins are definitely practicing at a faster tempo than in recent years. There's definitely more urgency running plays and getting through drills and that stuff matters. How much? Don't know. But it's a nice change. I have to believe some of that stems from having a coach they trust will make them better.
Rookie Perry Riley worked with the first defense at times, with McIntosh gone. Chris Draft and H.B. Blades worked with the No. 3 defense. Alvin Bowen and Robert Henson are working with the 2's.

Warpath Confidential: http://web.warpathconfidential.com/?p=3553

They’re faster than recent years. In fact, maybe the quickest paced we’ve seen in a dozen years. The pace is deliberate but with a sense of purpose. That sets the tone that carries throughout everything in the organization.
If you think Albert Haynesworth isn’t missing something since they’re voluntary camps, you’re wrong. Practices have been very competitive. It’s more than team building. They’re getting ready like we’ve never seen in past years. Haynesworth will be way behind whenever showing up.

CSN: http://www.csnwashington.com/06/02/10/Wednesdays-Redskins-OTA-Update/landing_redskins.html?blockID=245670&feedID=272

McNabb tipped his cap to the offensive line, which has remained a constant starting group of right tackle Artis Hicks, right guard Mike Williams, center Casey Rabach, left guard Derrick Dockery and left tackle Trent Williams.

“I see a cohesive group, a group that is willing to do whatever it takes to make things better,” McNabb said. “I know everybody has been down on them the last year or so, and they’ve taken it to heart. Ever since we’ve been here, they’ve been doing a great job.”

Fredericksburg.com Redskins Journal: http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjournal/2010/06/02/observations-and-notes-from-todays-redskins-ota-practice/

My lasting impression from today’s practice was that second-string QB Rex Grossman really struggled with his throws. In general, he wasn’t accurate, and his timing appeared poor. S Chris Horton dove to break up Grossman’s first throw of team drills, and things devolved from there. S Lendy Holmes made a nice leaping interception of a Grossman pass, and he almost nabbed another wobbler later on. Near the end of practice, Grossman had a pass batted at the line of scrimmage, and LB Chris Wilson picked it off. Grossman also overthrew several other receivers. On the whole, it was not pretty today.
RB Clinton Portis is the Redskins’ first-string running back at this point, but RB Larry Johnson worked with the first-string offense in goal-line drills today. I expect Johnson to be the Redskins’ leading option in such situations.
WR Joey Galloway might be 38 years old, but that hasn’t stopped him from consistently getting separation from defensive backs in these OTAs. He got open between SS Reed Doughty and FS Kareem Moore on one play near the right sideline today, and McNabb hit him in a tight window with a beautiful throw for a 25-yard gain.
I saw QB Colt Brennan make one great throw and one horrible throw. The good: Brennan hit WR Roydell Williams in-stride in a tight window, beating S Anderson Russell, near the left sideline for a 20-yard gain. Brennan was rolling left and threw across his body, but the ball was very strong.

The bad: LB Alvin Bowen picked off Brennan in red zone drills and would have returned it for a touchdown if the play had been allowed to progress that far. Brennan was looking to throw over the middle and didn’t see Bowen until it was too late. He tried to hold up, but the ball slipped out of his hand and easily into Bowen’s. Brennan yelled an obscenity as Bowen sprinted the other way, to the defense’s delight.

With starting ILB Rocky McIntosh absent from today’s voluntary practice, fourth-round pick Perry Riley played with the first team alongside ILB London Fletcher. Riley got quality depth on a pass coverage drop in red zone drills and broke up a pass from McNabb. I’m not sure if Riley is entrenched in such a high spot on the depth chart (ahead of incumbents H.B. Blades and Robert Henson), but defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and his staff are going to give Riley a long look.
free agent NT Ma’ake Kemoeatu practiced in position drills today. It’s the first time we’ve seen him involved to that extent...He said that his right foot/calf feels stronger than last week and that he’s about two weeks ahead of schedule on his recovery.

106.7 The Fan: http://1067thefandc.cbslocal.com/2010/06/02/redskins-want-westbrook-maybe-atogwe/

ROLB Brian Orakpo tore apart the offensive line on one rush, while Trent Williams was engaged and fanned out on his block — Orakpo bolted inside and would have created some big time pain
Tight End Fred Davis had a touchdown catch in red-zone drills and then caught a fade pass for a score over Reed Doughty to end the session. I was not sure if he was completely in the field of play, as it was extremely far away from the media area.
The other QB Richard Bartel, who is battling Brennan for the # 3 spot, had an impressive hookup with Devin Thomas deep down the middle of the field.

My thoughts:

-So glad to see Perry Riley making an impression.

-Looks like Andre Carter will be a situational pass rusher in Haslett's 3-4.

-We all Better hope Mcnabb doesn't get hurt because I don't see how anyone could like our depth at QB. I Would never trust Grossman in a clutch situation, and I'm hoping that Bartel unseats Colt Brennan or we use the roster spot to keep Marques Hagans who could serve as the emergency QB.

My thoughts:

-We all Better hope Mcnabb doesn't get hurt because I don't see how anyone could like our depth at QB. I Would never trust Grossman in a clutch situation, and I'm hoping that Bartel unseats Colt Brennan or we use the roster spot to keep Marques Hagans who could serve as the emergency QB.

How many other teams do you know of that could possibly compete when their starting QB goes down?

There are a lot of encouraging little nuggets throughout those pieces . . . Thanks for putting them together.

Reading about Donovan being accurate, Trent holding up that blind side, and Perry as the starter alongside Fletch all has gotten me unbelievably excited. Riley could be a steal considering where we got him in the draft. Moreover, with Rocky's situation being far from clear and that the Skins apparently have no desire to keep him around for the long term (for what it's worth, I like Rocky a lot and would want him to finish his career in D.C. . . . for the right price), Riley could see a lot of significant playing time this year.

really, really great thread. thanks OP!

grossman has me nervous, especially with mcnabb never having been the picture of durability. he broke down into a train wreck at times in chicago; he's like a turnover wating to happen. i like that he "knows the system," but should shanny have kept JC around as a backup instead of relying on this guy?

-Colt Brennan throwing a pick in the redzone sounds VERY familiar

-Yeah Perry Riley with the 1st team defense...WOOT!

-trade Andre Carter

-whats that play between Doughty and Moore??? Get Atogwe on the phone !!!

I agree on Carter. I think he will be worth more to a team who has a guy go down in training camp, than he is to us as a situational pass rusher, if that makes sense.

And I'm still on the Atogwe train! But I think he's asking for too much...

My thoughts:

Agreed on Riley! I was excited about that pick rom the start.

I also agree with the next poster, though:

How many other teams do you know of that could possibly compete when their starting QB goes down?

I don't think many would be comfortable with most teams' backup QB's. Unless you have a young up-and-comer waiting in the wings behind your established starter, usually your veteran backup, compared to your starter, won't give you the same ability to compete.

Pittsburgh with Batch or Dixon?

Miami with Pennington or Thigpen?

Hell, I'd even take Minnesota with Tavaris or Rosenfels.

Idk about that, I wouldn't want to be Pittsburgh these first 4-6 weeks that Big Ben is out.

Pennington in Miami might do the job, in the very short term, but his arm is literally a noodle of spaghetti now :ols:

I wouldn't take those guys in Minn. Maybe Rosenfels for a game or two.

But I think the guys main point was that while its great to have a serviceable backup, almost no team competes on the same level if their starter at QB goes down for any significant length of time.

There are a lot of encouraging little nuggets throughout those pieces . . . Thanks for putting them together.

Reading about Donovan being accurate, Trent holding up that blind side, and Perry as the starter alongside Fletch all has gotten me unbelievably excited. Riley could be a steal considering where we got him in the draft. Moreover, with Rocky's situation being far from clear and that the Skins apparently have no desire to keep him around for the long term (for what it's worth, I like Rocky a lot and would want him to finish his career in D.C. . . . for the right price), Riley could see a lot of significant playing time this year.

You're welcome!

It is exciting stuff, isn't it? Love it. Although on the topic of Riley and Rocky...I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to rooting for Riley to earn a starting spot by next year.

But for me, I hope Rocky does excel and prove that he's worth keeping long-term, because Fletch, while the definition of consistency his entire career, is getting old. And being solid with Rocky and Riley on the inside would really save us from having to worry about that position again once Fletch wears down eventually.

Lots of positives from the observations. I can't wait for training camp!

I know, its encouraging stuff! I can't either!

Awesome thread post. Much appreciated.
Incredible post. Thanks so much, Conn!
5 stars...man this has me pumped!

Thanks a lot guys, that means mucho! And you're welcome! I love this stuff. Its my favorite part of the offseason, especially when we start getting these kinds of tidbits every single day for training camp. At that point, it gets tough to keep up with them, and I love having all of that info on the competition. Its even better that this season there is actually a competition at most positions, a real one.

really, really great thread. thanks OP!

grossman has me nervous, especially with mcnabb never having been the picture of durability. he broke down into a train wreck at times in chicago; he's like a turnover wating to happen. i like that he "knows the system," but should shanny have kept JC around as a backup instead of relying on this guy?

Thanks briz! I agree with you on Grossman. I can see him, if he's more disciplined than in the past, being a "safe" option for a game or two, if he doesn't try to use his patented Sexy Rexy Rocket Arm "**** It I'm Going Deep" skills. :ols:

But at the same time, and as rough as I've been on the guy in the past, I would love for Colt to step up and soundly, and I mean completely, leaving no question for Kyle Shanahan, beat out Rex in preseason.

My favorite bit was the Galloway one.

I know he's 38 and I know he's been off the radar for the past couple of seasons, but I think he may quietly have been one of our best pickups thus far.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if, looking back on the season, you were right. Of course, It would really surprise me if he was that mis-used on the patriots, but I guess you could argue that they have alot of WR depth on that team, two all-stars stealing the big plays, and a QB who is used to about 70% of his balls going to 2-3 guys.

great idea bro. Nice stuff here. You should do one for day 3 if possible.

Again, thanks! I'm glad everyone appreciates it, it was a little bit of work putting it all together. But like I said, they are my favorite articles from the offseason. I can't wait for the WR vs. CB drills in training camp, those are the best!

And I think I will, once more articles start coming out about today, if no one beats me to the punch.

Do you guys think I should add it into this thread and just change the title to "June 2nd and 3rd"? Or start a new thread? Starting a new thread might mean that no one reads this one, which has some good stuff in it.

Any comments on how the WRs did?

Here are a couple of quick ones, but you really just have to read through the articles. Basically every time a QB makes a play, there's obviously a WR on the other end of it:

Tight End Fred Davis had a touchdown catch in red-zone drills and then caught a fade pass for a score over Reed Doughty to end the session. I was not sure if he was completely in the field of play, as it was extremely far away from the media area.
The other QB Richard Bartel, who is battling Brennan for the # 3 spot, had an impressive hookup with Devin Thomas deep down the middle of the field.
WR Joey Galloway made a few downfield catches in the practice session, one was on a play-action from Donovan McNabb. Another one, appeared out-of-bounds but that is what practice is for.

http://1067thefandc.cbslocal.com/2010/06/02/redskins-want-westbrook-maybe-atogwe/

Campbell would have been a safer backup for sure, but Jason asked to be traded and they complied.

And another point about that:

It seems that McNabb has totally charmed the locker room with his abilities, professionalism, and leadership, but you have to admit that had JC stayed, it would have been awkward.

I don't think there would have been a split down the middle of the locker room, but questions like that are never good. The media would have had a field day with that all year long as well. No thanks.

The thing is, that moving on was the best thing for both parties, even if he would have made a great backup.

I too am a little nervous about Rex Grossman.... I'm not sure about him.

I am perfectly sure of him. I am perfectly sure I don't want to see him take a snap this entire year or in B&G ever.

And for the Carter haters, dudes, the big guys occupy while Rap and Carter fly by.

Any comments on how the WRs did?

How about these tweets? Sounds like Armstrong has looked pretty good.

@LarryWeisman:

McNabb deep to my man Anthony Armstrong for six. about 3 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Re: Anthony Armstrong. I am just trusting my eyeballs on this one. He keeps making plays. 3:39 PM Jun 1st via TweetDeck
RT @U2tigger: @LarryWeisman Love the Twitter updates! Sounds like Armstrong has a legit shot. Time for the bandwagon mancrush warning yet? 3:38 PM Jun 1st via TweetDeck
Fine catch-and-run by WR Anthony Armstrong. 10:17 AM Jun 1st via mobile web

Archived