Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Battle Royal Among Journeymen on the OL

PlayAction

We need to trade next year's 2nd rounder (thin draft class) for Brown (Saints; LT) or sign Adams. If Williams can not start at LT and is only a RT we are in trouble. Too much riding on a rookie!

They'll gang up & toss BMW over the top rope first. Undertaker will hit 'Old School' & then choke slam Heyer over the top rope. Triple H hits a Petigre on Sheamus as Bastista clotheslines Hicks over the top rope. In a show of strenght, Dockery bench presses the worlds strongest man Mark Henry out & over the top rope. Unregistered Royal Rumble entries Chris Samuels & Brian Orakpo hit the ring & help rookie Trent Williams clear the ring & raise his hands as the winner of the Rumble. Williams looks up & points at the WrestleMania sign hanging in the arena. Grabs the mic & proclaims I'm going to the Super Bowl!

Now that i would LOVE to see, made me smile.

Whats the likelyhood that we'll sign more OL? Seems to me that we're still pretty weak in this department.

Think positive and give him a chance first.

We need to trade next year's 2nd rounder (thin draft class) for Brown (Saints; LT) or sign Adams. If Williams can not start at LT and is only a RT we are in trouble. Too much riding on a rookie!

the Redskins were in contact with Adams' agent after he was cut by Dallas. I think there is a good chance the Redskins sign him as an insurance policy at LT and potentially RT.

Erick Cook is not a center. At 6'6 and 318 Cook is projected to be a OG in this offense. He won't be competing against Rabach but against the backup guards on the roster.

Capers has a good chance to make the team.

One player no one has mentioned is Paul Fanaika, who was acquired off the PS of the Eagles last year. He was their #7 pick in 2009 and was projected by Philly to fit into their WCO at OG.

Erick Cook is not a center. At 6'6 and 318 Cook is projected to be a OG in this offense. He won't be competing against Rabach but against the backup guards on the roster.

One player no one has mentioned is Paul Fanaika, who was acquired off the PS of the Eagles last year. He was their #7 pick in 2009 and was projected by Philly to fit into their WCO at OG.

Too bad we didn't have Cook in prior years....Campbell was always looking for a center with a higher butt.

You are right about Paul Fanaika. I overlooked him. His draft profile though doesn't look like someone who would necessarily excel in ZBS. Then again those profiles don't tell you everything. He'll have a chance to compete as another Guard possiblity.

Overview

A former walk-on, Fanaika has used his unique combination of size, surprising foot quickness and determination to develop into one of the better, more underrated interior linemen in the country. Fanaika has intriguing upside for the next level -- if scouts can find a place for him. Despite starting three years at right guard for the Sun Devils, Fanaika's struggles with leverage could pose problems against shorter, powerful defensive tackles. There are some who believe Fanaika's future lies at right tackle, where his size and arm length could be beneficial, but with questionable lateral quickness and no experience outside, it is a projection likely only worthy of a late-round pick.

Analysis

Positives: Naturally massive man with even weight distribution. … Powerful upper body. … Jolts the defender with his initial hand punch. … Knee-bender that plays on his feet with surprising balance in pass protection. … Agile enough to get out and lead the sweep. … Three-year starter.

Negatives: Struggles with the leverage battle as a pass-blocker against the bull-rush. … Allows defenders to get into his chest and can be walked back into the pocket, despite his strength and size. … Surprising initial quickness, but only in small areas. … Will struggle to get to the second level and effectively block speedier linebackers. … May lack the lateral quickness to protect the edge if moved outside to right tackle.

I'm looking at the following:

LT - T Williams

RT - Hicks

LG - Dockery

C - Raybach

RG - M Williams

Reserves

T - Heyer, Capers

G - Hicks (if a Guard goes down, first option is move Hicks to Guard and slide Heyer in), Rinehardt

C - Lichtensteiger/Montgomery (whoever wins this battle), Cook

If they keep 11, they may also keep Robinson. Depends on who adjusts to new coaching best.

Just to screw with the play-by-play announcers, we should do it. :evilg:

McNabb takes the snap from Williams and hands off to Williams, who runs right up the middle from a great block by Williams and Williams as Williams cuts back towards the sideline and gets a great downfield block from Williams.

Expect the Redskins to to give their own 2010 picks the benefit of the doubt and to jettison players left over from the previous regime who have not progressed despite an extra year or two in the NFL.

The spotlight is on Chad Rinehart, Edwin Williams, Mongtomery, etc. as these guys have NFL experience and need to show that they have some upside.

LT - T Williams

RT - Hicks

LG - Dockery

C - Raybach

RG - M Williams

Reserves

T - Heyer, Capers

G - Hicks (if a Guard goes down, first option is move Hicks to Guard and slide Heyer in), Rinehardt

If they keep 11, they may also keep Robinson. Depends on who adjusts to new coaching best.

If a Guard goes down I'd rather Hicks stay at RT - - a) so he continues to get playing time and maximize his abilities at one position, and 2) to have only one change to the OL rather than two.

The Guard backups need to be able to play in relief rather than be third string caliber. I don't see how the Skins could keep 11 players for the OL unless you are including practice squad. The trick with the practice squad is you have to put players there that you would be willing to lose without compensation. Granted a 7th round pick isn't a huge deal terms of draft pick value but if it's a guy that you think could develop into a starter (rather than backup) then you don't want to take the risk.

Capers was thought to have a lot of potential but his draft value dropped when he performed poorly at the Senior Bowl. But, who knows he could have been injured and he may not struggle at RT versus the LT spot. We can hope.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trent Williams and Selvish Capers as the starting OTs in the first game.

I would!

I fully expect Capers to end up on the practice squad. He needs a year or two. No way he starts this year.

I agree with Bulldog. The new regime will cut the holdover linemen that can't cut it from the Gibbs/Zorn era. Players who have been around a long time need to wake up they could be on the chopping block. Allen and Shanahan have a big rolladex of phone numbers for agents and former players who are looking for work now. Remember when Norv brought in a lot of lousy ex-Cowboys who stunk? Hope history does not repeat itself with the new leadership team of the Skins.

LT - T Williams

RT - Hicks

LG - Dockery

C - Raybach

RG - M Williams

Reserves

T - Heyer, Capers

If a Guard goes down I'd rather Hicks stay at RT - - a) so he continues to get playing time and maximize his abilities at one position, and 2) to have only one change to the OL rather than two.

The Guard backups need to be able to play in relief rather than be third string caliber..................Capers was thought to have a lot of potential but his draft value dropped when he performed poorly at the Senior Bowl. But, who knows he could have been injured and he may not struggle at RT versus the LT spot. We can hope.

I think you make a great point about keeping Hicks at RT if he starts off the season at RT if there is an injury to G to avoid doing musical chairs and further breaking up the chemistry along the OL.

I think the battle between Hicks vs Heyer @ RT is going to be pivotal for the make-up of the OL because if Heyer starts at RT Hicks fill to roles as the primary back-up for both OG and OT if Hicks starts Heyer is the primary back-up at OT would that make Rinehart the primary back-up at OG?

I think Capers has the talent to become a good player he just needs to be coached up and absorb and apply the coaching if not he's gone he's only a 7th round pick.

Capers needs to be on the team this year, even if he's buried on the bench. The dude sounds like the perfect Zone block OT if he just gets some consistent training and direction from the coaching staff. He has 3rd round talent and we know what Shanny what shanny can mold those type of players into.

I would rather have the 5 best players on the field... That's why I move Hicks and insert Heyer at RT if a Guard goes down. I'd rather move Hicks and bring in Heyer than start Rinehardt (or someone else). I hadn't considered Fanaika. I don't know anything about him, really. Honestly? I don't know much about any of these guys. Hopefully, it will all work out. I'm just basing my opinion on what I've read...

A good read sir, thank you! Like Kyle Shannahan says we got some people who can play O-Line. We all know we are NOT going to be a top ten O-Line. I can envision us though, being in between 16-25 which is up from our 28th ranking last year I think...?

Our Oline will be better this year. I think it will be better in every way. We have picked up new talent in FA and the draft. So even with the same regime in place the line would be better.

Other factors;

1. Our offense will be much less predictable, so teams have to play a more honest defense.

2. McNabb gets the ball out faster, is athletic, and can throw an accurate deep ball. This will stretch the defense, and should reduce the time the line needs to hold their blocks.

3. Our running backs have improved; a motivated Portis, Parker, and LJ all with something to prove is more dangerous than last years tandem of Portis, Betts, and Cartwright. The Redskins will be able to run the ball.

I think the offense is absolutely going in the right direction, and will show marked improvement across the board this year.

I would!

I fully expect Capers to end up on the practice squad. He needs a year or two. No way he starts this year.

Capers was anywhere from a late 1st (yes some sites had him creeping into the late first) to a 3rd round prospect. When it comes to Mike Shanahan, he is a guru for finding late round OL talent that fits his scheme and starts. Capers starting at RT would not surprise me at all.

Archived