Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I shall guide you to the light. We don't ONLY need offensive line.

Art

Finally, the Austin pick was a low risk attempt to add some explosiveness to PR/KR.

I think Austin can be a DeSean type of "home-run hitting" WR as well. The lighter they are, the faster they run. Easier to catch concussions? Maybe..but if used properly, no one should be able to lay a fingernail on 'em.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7483109&postcount=130

Read that. Read the time stamp. Read the order. Understand that's almost certainly the current order of need at Redskins Park right now. And, try, as hard as it may be, to understand the Washington Redskins were 4-12 last year with atrocious play across the roster.

This is a team that has gone about addressing many of those needs while creating more. Switching from a 4-3 brings a lot of different needs than the bad team we ended the year as. By adding Hicks and Trent Williams prior to the Fourth Round pick the team helped parts of the line this offseason. Improvements to the system, running backs, play calling and QB provide additional boosts to the line, as does the possibility that guys NOT on the roster to start last year -- Jones, for example -- could be on the roster this year, or, that we find a couple of other vets for additional depth and to challenge for the starting job.

Some of you have offensive line on the brain. This team had three major voids heading into the draft and only ONE pick to think was good enough to potentially fill one immediately. Trent Williams plugged that gap. No one taken in this round was at all likely to improve our offensive line this year and the work put in to make a young player, say like Campbell, better is the same work we'll put in to making another still young player like Heyer better.

I don't doubt our line will have more changes both this season and next, but, some of you need to grasp this team wasn't one spot away. It would have been criminal to avoid adding any inside backers as it will be not to add a safety.

Try to get over the drum beat that this team only needed one thing. It needed many.

well put

It's a good post, but I take serious issue with this part of it: the part that says we have a serious need at safety.

Uh. No we don't.

Flashback to 2008, when Springs, Hall and Rogers were playing at a pro-bowl level, Landry was PFF's 4th ranked safety, and Horton was a potential defensive rookie of the year. Did we have a problem in the secondary THEN? Our safety depth was so good that Reed Doughty couldn't get on the field (granted he was hurt).

What happened this year? Well, Greg Blache lost a few IQ points, the Zorn debacle that was festering at the end of last season truly blew up, destroying the psyche of the entire team, and guys like Rogers and Landry's games simply fell off a cliff.

Thus, arguably the BEST secondary in the NFL in 2008 goes to one of the worst in 2009 (granted we were STILL top 10 in pass defense.) And this is with the decline of Landry and Rogers, the injury to Horton, and the fact that Hall doesn't fit a man-press scheme at all.

The fact is, we have 3 bona-fide starting safeties, Landry, Horton and Doughty. Ignore 2009. Landry and Horton were borderline Pro Bowlers. Doughty was great in 2007, and is a solid safety as long as he doesn't have to play too much coverage. He showed it again in 2009, making plays all over the field. Moore is a bit of a question mark, but he's showed enough that we can give him a shot at the starting FS spot if we really do play Landry more as a SS. So we need to stop acting like we are dying for safety help when we are incredibly deep at safety.

It's a good post, but I take serious issue with this part of it: the part that says we have a serious need at safety.

Uh. No we don't.

Flashback to 2008, when Springs, Hall and Rogers were playing at a pro-bowl level, Landry was PFF's 4th ranked safety, and Horton was a potential defensive rookie of the year. Did we have a problem in the secondary THEN? Our safety depth was so good that Reed Doughty couldn't get on the field (granted he was hurt).

What happened this year? Well, Greg Blache lost a few IQ points, the Zorn debacle that was festering at the end of last season truly blew up, destroying the psyche of the entire team, and guys like Rogers and Landry's games simply fell off a cliff.

Thus, arguably the BEST secondary in the NFL in 2008 goes to one of the worst in 2009 (granted we were STILL top 10 in pass defense.) And this is with the decline of Landry and Rogers, the injury to Horton, and the fact that Hall doesn't fit a man-press scheme at all.

The fact is, we have 3 bona-fide starting safeties, Landry, Horton and Doughty. Ignore 2009. Landry and Horton were borderline Pro Bowlers. Doughty was great in 2007, and is a solid safety as long as he doesn't have to play too much coverage. He showed it again in 2009, making plays all over the field. Moore is a bit of a question mark, but he's showed enough that we can give him a shot at the starting FS spot if we really do play Landry more as a SS. So we need to stop acting like we are dying for safety help when we are incredibly deep at safety.

I mostly agree with you (that our S position isn't as desperate as some make it out to be). However, can you really be labeled a "solid" defensive back with the caveat of "as long as you're not forced to cover" too much?

I don't see the point?

Because the only mention of Kyle being the succsesor is only speculation. Just like it was for GW taking over for Gibbs. Shanny definately has a win now mentality in place.

I mostly agree with you (that our S position isn't as desperate as some make it out to be). However, can you really be labeled a "solid" defensive back with the caveat of "as long as you're not forced to cover" too much?

Doughty is a run-stopping strong safety, not a coverage free safety. He's not bad at coverage, but he is best at attacking the LOS, blitzing, and taking care of the short to intermediate running and passing game. A guy like Polamalu is actually fairly mediocre in deep coverage compared to the rest of his skillset - his game is making big plays within 10-15 yards of the LOS. Ryan Clark is the deep safety in that defense.

My hope is that a guy like Kareem Moore or Horton ends up being our Ryan Clark.

Because the only mention of Kyle being the succsesor is only speculation. Just like it was for GW taking over for Gibbs. Shanny definately has a win now mentality in place.

Right...all my points were directed at how long McNabb would be our starter...who the head coach is wasn't really part of my point. Do you think McNabb will be here for all 5 years as our starting QB? I hope so...but I would concede that's a stretch...3-4 years seems a little more realistic.

Doughty is a run-stopping strong safety, not a coverage free safety. He's not bad at coverage, but he is best at attacking the LOS, blitzing, and taking care of the short to intermediate running and passing game. A guy like Polamalu is actually fairly mediocre in deep coverage compared to the rest of his skillset - his game is making big plays within 10-15 yards of the LOS. Ryan Clark is the deep safety in that defense.

My hope is that a guy like Kareem Moore or Horton ends up being our Ryan Clark.

Right...that's the point. Doughty and Landry both excel at SS...not FS.

I see what you mean though.

Up till now, I've been adamant that Landry was a pure FS, but even at his best he's never been a playmaker at the position. He might just be better as a SS, seeing he wants to be aggressive.

Still, I'd rather have Landry/Horton than Moore/Landry, and have Moore as the swing safety.

I agree...I'd be more comfortable with that as well. I have high hopes for Moore actually, I just don't think he's there yet.

Many say we have 3 bonafide strong safeties, and zip bonafide free safeties. It makes sense to me considering Reed and Horton don't seem to be speedster coverage guys but thumpers who play well in the box. We were hoping that Landry's speed would help him develop into a good free safety but he got burned quite a bit last season so it seems like he's moving to where they initially played him his rookie season and that is strong safety -- maybe even a little LB according to the WP.

I have read that Haslett doesn't differentiate between strong and free in his system, what that translates to I got no clue, will see. But as far as i can tell, right now 6th rounder from a couple years back, K Moore, is our only pure free safety.

And considering how many young guys are getting HC gigs these days...if things go as well as we hope around here, Kyle could get a HC opportunity somewhere else long before Shanny's initial contract is up.

And considering how many young guys are getting HC gigs these days...if things go as well as we hope around here, Kyle could get a HC opportunity somewhere else long before Shanny's initial contract is up.

Probably true...but again it's irrelevant to the point that was being made. Whether Mike Shanahan coaches for 1 year/5 years/10 years, McNabb has his own timetable of how long he'll be a viable starting QB. I think it's in the 3-4 year range. That's all I was trying to say with that point.

Probably true...but again it's irrelevant to the point that was being made. Whether Mike Shanahan coaches for 1 year/5 years/10 years, McNabb has his own timetable of how long he'll be a viable starting QB. I think it's in the 3-4 year range. That's all I was trying to say with that point.
If he can stay healthy, I don't see why 5 years would be a stretch. A lot of top quarterbacks play well into their late 30s.

Archived