Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Draft Analysis - Trent Williams

LaRonDontLikeUgly

That would be ignoring the fact that both Bruce Allen and Mike Shannahan haven't had the best drafts in the past.

Obviously everyone is excited that we got rid of Vinny but Shanny and Allen aren't exactly the new Bill Polians.

I'm hoping Trent Williams will turn into a great LT...but I'm not sure of it.

WHO IS SURE!!?

I swear you people are somethin' else.

im loling hard at all the guys here who were dying for us to go oline in the first round, we did, and now its somehow not a good pick because it wasnt okung.

allen and shanny obviously see enough potential in this kid to think he can make the change to LT. i highly doubt hes gonna play RT.

People on here ***** about anything. If we picked Okung people would complain because he's not as athletic has Williams and isn't a great fit for the ZBS. So no matter who we picked, someone would complain about it.

I'm glad we finally picked an OL. Williams is athletic, good for the ZBS, and can play anywhere on the OL. So what is there not to like?

I see this selection is based on his potential. They think his upside is worth it.

My God, you are really reaching for some explanation to express your dislike of the pick.

This selection has nothing to do with potential but has everything to do with natural ability to play the position he was drafted for. You sound so "ESPNish".

Trent Williams is the best LT that we could have selected. He was always a LT who happen to play on the right side. He will not play for the Skins as a RT.

People on here ***** about anything. If we picked Okung people would complain because he's not as athletic has Williams and isn't a great fit for the ZBS. So no matter who we picked, someone would complain about it.

I'm glad we finally picked an OL. Williams is athletic, good for the ZBS, and can play anywhere on the OL. So what is there not to like?

whats not to like? HES NOT RUSSELL OKUNG!!

youre right tho, people are being absurd about this. we finally took a tackle at a marquee pick and people are crying about it. as if okung was literally the only pick to make in the first round haha.

There's just an issue of consistency here for me... if we want to win NOW, why not draft the guy who is already proven he is a great LT? Okung has an awesome work ethic, is more athletic than most tackles, and although he may have reached his "ceiling"-- the guy is ready today.

We've got a QB who isn't getting any younger, a bunch of running backs who don't have much time left, and we are plugging all of our holes with old and injury-proned veterans. Why are we grooming a RT when our franchise LT was sitting right there waiting for us?

Personally, it's a risk that I don't think we should have taken... But I pray to God that they prove me wrong.

Okung is an average at best in ZBS. This is why we did not take him.

I think that alot of the angst that people have tied to the 4th pick has more to do with the Redskins not picking again until round 4...than it does with Trent Williams being the guy. If the redskins were picking today in the 2nd and 3rd - I think that most fans would feel more confident in leaving the draft with quality players.

Or maybe I'm just thinking about myself.

First of all, Mel Kiper is not the only one that brought up his work ethic. EVERYONE that covers the draft mentioned his work ethic and said that he is very talented. So lets put your Mel sensitivity aside. Mmmmmkay?

Secondly, I can understand why people have questions about Williams because of his work ethic and the risk involved by taking him at 4.

I'm very happy that we FINALLY addressed what has been our most glaring need. Is it sexy? No. I trust that Shanny and company did their due dilligence and poked and prodded this kid to get all of the info they needed.

BTW. Those of you saying that people are "crying, ****ing and moaning" really do look like petulant, immature aholes. At least most of those that are concerned about the pick offer their reasons why.

I tell you what, lets give the pick back and exchange it for Okong. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? What is Mel Kiper's angle? You have to trust the expertise of this coaching staff.

I saw Trent Williams combine workout and it suggest that he is not a slacker. If Trent has that athletic ability that he displayed at the combine, how can one conclude that he is lazy? Please wait to see how he evolves into a pro bowl player before you take the word of someone who knows not what he speaks.

Im okay with the pick.....an OT so im happy. I just think we could have traded down a few spots and still gotten him. Okung seemed like the most commonly projected pick at #4 by most. I've bashed too many things in my day so I will just give ShannAllen the benefit of the doubt on this selection and wait and see how it plays out.

I wonder how many of ya'll calling people cry babies actually work for an NFL organization. I understand that we've been bad for so long that Shallen and the bunch look like the second coming of Jesus; but both of Allen and Shanahan got FIRED over their personel decisions. Don't be a sheep, question everything...

LOTS of crazy posts in here. I will just add (as if this hasn't been said enough already) that I am hearing "Work Ethic" a little more than I'd like to and I wanted Okung here but at least we picked the right position.

I will trust in Allen and Shanahan right now until proven wrong.

Hail!

I wonder how many of ya'll calling people cry babies actually work for an NFL organization. I understand that we've been bad for so long that Shallen and the bunch look like the second coming of Jesus; but both of Allen and Shanahan got FIRED over their personel decisions. Don't be a sheep, question everything...

fine, lets question it:

glaring need: oline

top pick: oline

best case scenario: he becomes franchise left tackle of the future

worst case scenario: he becomes a solid right tackle of the future

shanny and allens recent history of selecting oline has been very good. allen took trueblood, davin, and sears in tampa, and to my knowledge theyve all been good. shanny took clady and he turned out to be a stud. we just drafted who is considered to be the most athletic and best ZBS tackle in the draft, who fits our scheme perfectly and has major upside.

people should be friggin excited that we just plugged a major hole on this team, and instead theyre being overly skeptical, all because his name doesnt start with R and end in ussel Okung.

Good pick IMO. WE needed an OT; we got an OT. Williams Fit in to what we're going to do so I'm happy. For all the people crying about the pick, do you know what his stats were? or did you just listen to the Okung hype. From what I heard Okung was slightly the better tackle. The evaluation of the two was very close. So it doesn't bother me at all that we pick Trent Wiliams as the 4th overall pick of the 2010 NFL Draft.....

If you take a tackle in the top 5, you're looking for a dominant LT. RT position isn't nearly as important and could be filled by using less resources.

Hopefully Williams will be a dominating LT.

Well now that depends. The LT protects a right handed QB's blindside and is thus very important.

But what if your QB or future QB is left handed?

And for the record, I like this pick. He's athletic, has good feet, and is versatile.

fine, lets question it:

glaring need: oline

top pick: oline

best case scenario: he becomes franchise left tackle of the future

worst case scenario: he becomes a solid right tackle of the future

shanny and allens recent history of selecting oline has been very good. allen took trueblood, davin, and sears in tampa, and to my knowledge theyve all been good. shanny took clady and he turned out to be a stud. we just drafted who is considered to be the most athletic and best ZBS tackle in the draft, who fits our scheme perfectly and has major upside.

people should be friggin excited that we just plugged a major hole on this team, and instead theyre being overly skeptical, all because his name doesnt start with R and end in ussel Okung.

No, the worst case scenario is Williams deciding he doesn't "wake up" and becomes another Robert Gallery or out the league. Chances are that isn't going to happen, but if you told me we were going to pass on Okung, I would've wanted to trade down. Bugula dropped all the way to #23 for crying out loud and we now only have 3 picks left in the entire draft.

I Trust shanny and Allen though...

Why do you trust shanny? If you take away Elway, Shanny had as many play off victories in Denver over 10 years than Norv Turner had in Washington in 7 years. That would be 1. AND WE FIRED NORV.

No, the worst case scenario is Williams deciding he doesn't "wake up" and becomes another Robert Gallery or out the league. Chances are that isn't going to happen, but if you told me we were going to pass on Okung, I would've wanted to trade down. Bugula dropped all the way to #23 for crying out loud and we now only have 3 picks in the draft.

robert gallery is still in the league and plays guard, and is actually pretty good at it if i recall, so he was a bust at T but still plays ok at G.

im sure we tried to trade down man, its a two way street tho. you cant just magically say "we wanna trade down" and make it happen. we got stuck where we were and we took the best tackle available. in a perfect world, sure we trade down and acquire some more picks, but nobody wanted to move up for anybody specific.

No, the worst case scenario is Williams deciding he doesn't "wake up" and becomes another Robert Gallery or out the league. Chances are that isn't going to happen, but if you told me we were going to pass on Okung, I would've wanted to trade down. Bugula dropped all the way to #23 for crying out loud and we now only have 3 picks left in the entire draft.

Agreed but the problem was this draft was among the deepest in a long time. No buddy really wanted to pay much in order to move up to #4.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. I have a hard time believing we couldn't trade down 2 or 3 or 5 picks, added a 2nd rounder, and still got either Williams or Okung. To take a guy who might or might not be a LT with the 4th overall pick in the draft is just nuts.

Why do you trust shanny? If you take away Elway, Shanny had as many play off victories in Denver over 10 years than Norv Turner had in Washington in 7 years. That would be 1. AND WE FIRED NORV.
That actually made my stomach hurt.

robert gallery is still in the league and plays guard, and is actually pretty good at it if i recall, so he was a bust at T but still plays ok at G.

True but guys who play Guard aren't tyically top 20 picks much less second pick over all. You can get good guards in the second round. that's why Gallery is considered a bust. But you are right the guy is going to have a long career in the NFL as a guard...

Archived