Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Draft Analysis - Trent Williams

LaRonDontLikeUgly

Not in my eyes, look at the scouting reports. Look at the tape. Look at how he's struggled in his only year playing LT which was last year. Look at his lack of upper body strength. Look at his shorter than desired arms.

You sound like you're ok with taking the 2nd best player at the position but im not. It was a bad choice.

2009 Season

All-American first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report, American Football Coaches Association, Walter Camp Football Foundation and the Associated Press, earning second-team honors from The Sporting News … Consensus All-Big Twelve Conference first-team choice and finished third in the coaches' balloting for league Offensive Lineman of the Year accolades … The team's most experienced lineman, the young Sooners leaned heavily on his leadership after several All-Americans, most notable quarterback Sam Bradford and tight end Jermaine Gresham spent most of the year sidelined by injuries … Williams himself missed the final two games due to a concussion and was joined by three other blockers who started earlier in the schedule in the trainer's room rather than on the football field … He shifted to left tackle for his final season, starting the first 11 games, as Williams registered 99 knockdowns, 11 touchdown-resulting blocks and five downfield blocks while participating in 808 offensive snaps … With the rash of injuries that the Sooners suffered, so did their rushing attack, as Oklahoma finished 77th in the nation with an average of 134.62 yards per game on the ground, the worst output by a Sooners team in Williams' four years with the squad … Oklahoma did maintain a decent passing attack, ranking 11th in the nation with an average of 289.23 yards per game … The left tackle's alertness on the field saw him record four tackles (3 solos) after Sooners turnovers, including three hits vs. Nebraska and one more the following week vs. Texas A&M … The senior tackle was penalized five times during the season, as he allowed just two quarterback pressures and an assisted sack on 519 pass plays … Despite losing four starters on the front wall, Oklahoma still ranked second in the conference and 16th nationally in fewest sacks allowed (1.15 per game) … Graded 90% or better for blocking consistency in six games, finishing with an 85.18% mark.

That actually made my stomach hurt.

Yep, Shanny has proven that if he has a once in a generation type QB, he can win super bowls. If he doesn't he can win one playoff game a decade..... Which catagory do you think Washington falls under?

Oh he also ranks 21st out of 25 talent evaluators with track records in a recent poll I saw.

I hate the pick but they might want him to play RT.

IF they put him at RT than he's a solid pick because he played 3 years as a RT and was great but if they plug him in as an LT to protect McNabb's blind side than expect to see him on the bench to get his technique down. I just don't see him starting at LT right away. Its an odd pick but I know I'll get flamed for saying it.

I Trust shanny and Allen though...

I really have to disagree. I don't see any way he DOESNT start at LT or RT, either one. Who is he competing with? Heyer? Please... His starting has less to do with his ability to pick things up, rather than with just how bad the rest of our line is.

robert gallery is still in the league and plays guard, and is actually pretty good at it if i recall, so he was a bust at T but still plays ok at G.

im sure we tried to trade down man, its a two way street tho. you cant just magically say "we wanna trade down" and make it happen. we got stuck where we were and we took the best tackle available. in a perfect world, sure we trade down and acquire some more picks, but nobody wanted to move up for anybody specific.

I hear what you're saying, BLC, but the point of bringing up Robert Gallery is he was drafted to be a Franchise LT, not a decent starting guard. That's not what I want to here with the #4 overall pick. He's going to be making too much money with that rookie contract NOT to be playing up to standard at our most glaring position of need on the o-line (LT).

Granted you're right in that we did want to trade down and it just didn't work out. I know it's something I'm just going to have to deal with, but I still don't like it.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. I have a hard time believing we couldn't trade down 2 or 3 or 5 picks, added a 2nd rounder, and still got either Williams or Okung. To take a guy who might or might not be a LT with the 4th overall pick in the draft is just nuts.

nobody wanted to trade up. why give up extra picks when theres that much talent that will fall to you?

id bet any amount of money in the world we were on that phone trying to trade out of that pick and recoup some picks, and there was nobody there that some team was dying to get.

What people seem to be dismissing is the fact that Trent Williams was still a consensus top 10 player overall in this draft by almost everyone. He was widely known as the second best tackle prospect in this draft, regardless of what type of offense he fits better in. If we didnt pick him ahead of Okung, he would have gone to Seattle or San Fran, in which case everyone would be lauding the pick and call him a 10 year starter because he was the next best available tackle.

It's not rocket science. Williams is a better pulling run blocking tackle that showed plenty of pass blocking ability when playing against elite talent. There is no doubt he is the best fit for Shanahan's system, so that is why he was taken a few spots ahead of where he would of gone anyways.

True but guys who play Guard aren't tyically top 20 picks much less second pick over all. You can get good guards in the second round. that's why Gallery is considered a bust. But you are right the guy is going to have a long career in the NFL as a guard...

but you can get good LTs in other rounds as well. you realize now that trent williams is the only 1st round LT in our division?

i do agree that gallery is a bust, but even as a bust he still starts and contributes. so if trent busts and goes the gallery route, worst case scenario we have an awesome guard (or center cause i heard he can do that too). i just saw shanny praising the guys versatility as another reason he was picked.

Yep, Shanny has proven that if he has a once in a generation type QB, he can win super bowls. If he doesn't he can win one playoff game a decade..... Which catagory do you think Washington falls under?

Oh he also ranks 21st out of 25 talent evaluators with track records in a recent poll I saw.

And the once in a generation QB couldn't win without Shanahan's running attack and TD.

This point has been argued ad nauseum. Let it go. We have a proven head coach here now who is heads and shoulders above Norvell. You are bitter because we didn't take another position.

"The senior tackle was penalized five times during the season, as he allowed just two quarterback pressures and an assisted sack on 519 pass plays … Despite losing four starters on the front wall, Oklahoma still ranked second in the conference and 16th nationally in fewest sacks allowed (1.15 per game) … Graded 90% or better for blocking consistency in six games, finishing with an 85.18% mark."

Yeah, sure sounds like he struggled mightily his senior season, giving up 1/2 a sack.

I hear what you're saying, BLC, but the point of bringing up Robert Gallery is he was drafted to be a Franchise LT, not a decent starting guard. That's not what I want to here with the #4 overall pick. He's going to be making too much money with that rookie contract NOT to be playing up to standard at our most glaring position of need on the o-line (LT).

Granted you're right in that we did want to trade down and it just didn't work out. I know it's something I'm just going to have to deal with, but I still don't like it.

im just a big believer in being excited about youth until proven wrong. i cant think of a move the skins have made that i hated off the bat with a draft pick or signing a younger play. every kid we bring in here deserves a shot until he proves he cant hack it or proves that he can. i will be 110% behind williams until he gives me a reason not to be.

give the kid a shot. if he screws the pooch, everyone that hated the pick will have full i told you so rights, but some people are so down on this its a little ridiculous. lets see what the kid can do before we start calling him robert gallery lol.

A) You don't grab "solid" players #4. This guy has tpo be a perrenial pro bowler. We took this guy higher than we took Chris Samuels.

B) I agree with the position but passing on Okung seems reckless to me.

I hope the kid plays his ass off and gets his head on straight because he is going to be lining up across fom demarcus ware in a few months on national television and if his "lazy" tag proves true he will get his ass whipped and so will our 34 year old QB.

Chris was taken 3rd overall. Trent was taken 4th overall.

Okung is a very good LT, but apparently his skillset did not translate to this team as well as Trents. I dont' see it as reckless, I see it more along the lines and getting the player that fits what your trying to do better. Sure there is risk involved. Who's to say Okung turns into "hot plate" williams or simply can't handle the rigors of the NFL. It's all conjecture.

Analysis

Pass blocking: Improved at left tackle throughout 2009, getting into his pass set quickly and learning to adjust to inside moves. Engulfs most defensive ends on the edge. Bends his knees and anchors very well -- does not get pushed back into the quarterback. Strong initial punch and usually coils back quickly, although he can be out-quicked after initial contact on occasion. Easily absorbs a punch. Reaches at times, instead of moving his feet, to maintain control of secondary rush. Recognizes outside blitzers and usually meets them at the corner of the pocket. Effective cut blocker despite his size. Comes out a little flat in his kick-slide, giving up the corner. Doesn't have elite foot quickness and will sometimes back up instead of moving laterally, but still mirrors most ends without problem.

Run blocking: Fires off the line and dominates when drive blocking. Turns his man whichever way is needed and sustains the block. Only adequate moving his feet on zone blocks, allowing defenders to chase the play. Overextends when trying to punch and looks a bit slow against blitzing linebackers or in space.

Pulling/trapping: Not asked to pull or trap, but is mobile enough to be effective sealing off the MIKE linebacker on strong-side run plays. If moved inside to right guard, would work best in power scheme.

Initial Quickness: Good burst off the snap to run block, and latches onto his man immediately. Sets quickly after his kick slide on both the left and right side, but will be more consistent protecting on the right side.

Downfield: Reaches linebackers and safeties at the second level quickly off the snap. Gets hands into the jersey and moves his feet to drive the man back. Will miss his target or fail to find someone to hit on occasion. Looks for secondary targets to block downfield when needed.

Intangibles: Unselfish player who works hard on the field and in practice. Plays through minor injuries. Returned to school despite being a probable second-round pick in order to return to the BCS championship and complete his education.

NFL Comparison: Jammal Brown, New Orleans Saints

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1123699?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

Our Silverback Gorilla will take us to the playoffs!!!

"The senior tackle was penalized five times during the season, as he allowed just two quarterback pressures and an assisted sack on 519 pass plays … Despite losing four starters on the front wall, Oklahoma still ranked second in the conference and 16th nationally in fewest sacks allowed (1.15 per game) … Graded 90% or better for blocking consistency in six games, finishing with an 85.18% mark."

Yeah, sure sounds like he struggled mightily his senior season, giving up 1/2 a sack.

2009 Season

All-American first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report, American Football Coaches Association, Walter Camp Football Foundation and the Associated Press, earning second-team honors from The Sporting News ….

I heard the knock on him was he played very good against good opponents, but failed to dominate inferior opponents. Also corner backs, and saftey prospects surpassed him in weight lifing.. He registered a rather pathetic 23 reps, compared to the two top Offensive linemen scores of 45, and 38 reps..... Williams ranked 27th out of 41 offensive linemen at the combine in weight lifting. On a positive note he had the 2nd fastest time in the 40 (marylands Bruce Cambell was slightly faster with 34 reps at the benchpress).... and tied for best vertical jump, 5th best 20yrd shuttle run. Tied for best broad jump..

Guess Broad Jump, vertical jump, and 40 time is what matters most in zone blocking.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2010/nfl-combine-results.cfm?sort=shuttle20&pos=OL

im just a big believer in being excited about youth until proven wrong. i cant think of a move the skins have made that i hated off the bat with a draft pick or signing a younger play. every kid we bring in here deserves a shot until he proves he cant hack it or proves that he can. i will be 110% behind williams until he gives me a reason not to be.

give the kid a shot. if he screws the pooch, everyone that hated the pick will have full i told you so rights, but some people are so down on this its a little ridiculous. lets see what the kid can do before we start calling him robert gallery lol.

I'm going to give him a shot, because my gut tells me this is going to work. I have faith Shanny wouldn't draft Trent if he didn't believe he could chew him up and spit out a player worthy of the #4 overally pick in the draft. But we wouldn't be having this discussion if it was a sure-win, 110 guarantee. I, too, don't remember the last time I was mad at a draft pick, but I have been dissapointed before after they started playing a while (JC, Landry, etc). The "I told you so" route is very petty, imo, so don't expect to get that from me. I'll just be pissed off and start talking about what to do next.

I wonder how many people would've rathered us picked Bugula @ #4 since we couldn't move down...

And the once in a generation QB couldn't win without Shanahan's running attack and TD.

This point has been argued ad nauseum. Let it go. We have a proven head coach here now who is heads and shoulders above Norvell. You are bitter because we didn't take another position.

Head and shoulders? They are actually pretty comparable.

Norv lifetime is 4-4 in the playoffs after 12 years as head coach.... 500..

Shanny is 8-5 after 16 years... .614...

Throw away the elway years and Shanny can't wash Norv's socks... And I'm not a Norv fan.

As for the pick... I thought we needed an offensive lineman... If Williams becomes a right tackle or a guard he's a bust.... He has a chance to be a very good left tackle given time to develop... Problem is we don't have time. I hope we pick up another lineman in this draft, maybe too... I hope Marylands Bruce Cambell is around. It kills me Cambell will go in the mid to late second round and we have once again no picks there.... You wonder why we have no depth?

I don't think Williams will start for us in the season openner. He's a project who is long on potential short on current reality... Do you really want to put an O Lineman out who can get out mussled by rookie cornerbacks and safeties? think of what a veteran NFL lineman would do to him?

B) I agree with the position but passing on Okung seems reckless to me.

I hope the kid plays his ass off and gets his head on straight because he is going to be lining up across fom demarcus ware in a few months on national television and if his "lazy" tag proves true he will get his ass whipped and so will our 34 year old QB.

Here is Scout Inc (McShays') eval of Okung and Williams O-line abilities. So now that we know this, we can call both of the "lazy" over and over again like it's pure fact.

Okung (notice under toughness he uses the word "lazy")

Awareness - 2 (with 1 being the highest grade)

Adequate-to-good awareness. Picks up blitzes and stunts. Feels delayed blitz coming when engaged and shows awareness to peel off in time to pick it up. Finds his assignment as a second-level run blocker. Will provide help to the inside when he can. Knows how to hand off defenders when flowing to one side as a zone blocker. Can be a bit slow adjusting to double moves and spin moves. Will take too many poor angles and needs to be more consistent with his first step.

Toughness -2

Impressed by his toughness. Works to the whistle and plays with a mean streak. Has a mauler mentality in the run game. Can appear to be lazy at times. Doesn't take plays off but effort can be a bit erratic.

Pass Protection - 2

Needs to be more consistent with his first step. Has adequate-to-good athletic ability for size but does have some limitations. His feet will get outside of his frame on occasion. Has some problems redirecting back to the inside. However, he has good foot quickness in his set and very long arms (36') to ride the DE wide. Shows ability to sink his hips and anchor versus bull rusher. Once he locks on it's over.

Run Blocking - 2

Angles as a run blocker are inconsistent. Has long arms and a strong upper body to control defenders. He's big and shows very good strength at the point of attack. He generates leverage after initial contact and will drive defenders to the turf. Consistently reaches the second level on time and shows the ability to hit the moving target. Only knock is that he occasionally struggles to lock on and sustain, which can be rectified with better hand usage in most instances.

Trent Williams

Awareness - 2

Overall instincts and awareness are above average but not elite. Has a feel for defenders trying to set him up. Does a nice job of getting helping inside initially and then picking up the oncoming wide defender in slide protection. Can indentify and locate targets quickly when pulling down the line or with short pulls around edge.

Toughness - 1

No question about overall toughness. Excellent overall strength and power. Clearly plays with a mean streak. Finishes with consistency.

Pass Protection - 2

hows left tackle feet, balance and lateral agility. Gets set quickly in pass pro. Shows the ability to mirror and slide versus quicker DEs. Is aggressive and effective in short sets. Has shown improved footwork since junior year but still has some inconsistency and can over set at times. Is strong enough to anchor versus the straight-line bull rush but will occasionally get jarred by powerful initial punch. Has had some trouble versus DEs who jar him initially and then burst inside while Williams is still recovering. Only time he gets into trouble in pass pro is when he lunges or over sets which can be coached at the next level.

Run Blocking - 1

A road grader that possesses an explosive initial pop and a strong powerbase as an inline blocker. Can generate leverage upon contact to get more than adequate movement on defenders. However, angles are a bit inconsistent and needs polishing with first step. Has enough foot quickness to hook edge and cut off three technique from the backside. Easy mover when pulling down the line and in the open field. Makes a smooth transition when climbing to second level to cut off LB's but can improve angles in this department.

courtesy Califan on another tread.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo.../1.html?hpt=T2

The late talk that the Redskins would draft Eric Berry was just a smokescreen as Washington gets the left tackle it needs to replace Chris Samuels in Williams. He has the best feet of any offensive lineman in this year's draft class and that quickness will allow him to make the backside cutoff block that is so critical to the success of Mike Shanahan's zone-blocking scheme.

compare that to what ESPN said about Seattle taking Okung:

What he brings: Okung is not an elite athlete for a left-tackle prospect and his footwork needs improvement. Still, he is quick and agile enough to hold his own in pass protection at left tackle in the NFL. He's also a tough, nasty run-blocker who looks to put defenders on their backs. He proved to be a consistent performer and hard worker in college who will continue to improve his game at the NFL level.

looks like a slam dunk to me.

Trent williams is just pure hype, he had a good combine and it just jumped from there. I'm praying he doesn't show up out of shape.

I don't think that the redskins picked Trent Williams because of hype. If hype was one of their main reasons to pick him up, I think they would have instead gotten Okung. He was hyped up more than any other LT. They instead went against the grain and picked up an LT, who they obviously believed to be best in draft.

Judging Williams as a player -- I don't know either way because I don't pay attention enough to the details of college ball, let alone to the oline on a college team. I think it just doesn't feel good to get a Left tackle that a strong majority didn't believe to be the consensus best at his position.

You guys are worse than women. You fail to see due to your blinders on. Okung is the better player overall, but he's is NOT the better player in the zone blocking scheme. Why would you take a tackle who's rated better but doesn't fit your scheme? That's a problem that has plague the Skins for years on end. Constantly getting people in Free Agency that didn't fit our scheme. If this were a Joe Gibbs offense, I'd say you go with Okung, but seeing it is a zone blocking scheme, you take Williams. It's not that hard to grasp people. Hell, even Shanny stated this himself about the two.

Excellent overall strength and power. Clearly plays with a mean streak. Finishes with consistency.

I think that's a stretch... Trent Williams did 23 reps in the bench press. which only surpassed the Quarterback and wide reciever top candidates.

That's pethetic for a lineman. It's bellow average for a tight end.

I think that's a stretch... Trent Williams did 23 reps in the bench press. which only surpassed the Quarterback and wide reciever top candidates.

That's pethetic for a lineman. It's bellow average for a tight end.

That's not my quote. That's Scouts Inc and McShay saying that. You figure they know better than you or I. How many Oklahoma or Oklahoma State games did you watch this season?

Besides, since when does bench press translate into toughness and finishing plays? Isn't technique, footwork, explosive ability more important?

You guys are worse than women. You fail to see due to your blinders on. Okung is the better player overall, but he's is NOT the better player in the zone blocking scheme. Why would you take a tackle who's rated better but doesn't fit your scheme? That's a problem that has plague the Skins for years on end. Constantly getting people in Free Agency that didn't fit our scheme. If this were a Joe Gibbs offense, I'd say you go with Okung, but seeing it is a zone blocking scheme, you take Williams. It's not that hard to grasp people. Hell, even Shanny stated this himself about the two.

I disagree with you.. Trent Williams is a better potential fit in zone blocking.... Currently he is not NFL ready. Trent Williams is a project who has a decent chance to be a very good Left Tackle.

Here is the problem... (1) we don't have the luxery to wait. (2) taking a project with the #4 overall pick is a joke. (3) On openning day when Williams doesn't start, the fans around here are going to be burning him in effigy, and it won't be his fault either; it will be shanny's for not coming out and saying Williams is a pick for the future, not the present.

I think OKung who was about .4 seconds slower in the 40 would have been a good choice and a good tackle in Zone blocking scheme. I think Williams has a chance to be better. That's why shanny took him. We're 4-12; I question our ability to wait.

He just seems to have some question marks that you dont normally hear about with a 4th overall. I am no expert but it seems he did he his best work at RT, and suspect that he may end up there. 1 year at LT. Was he the LT when Bradford had his shoulder blasted?

I happen to think the speed of a lineman is a tad overrated. For one, in pass protection, that speed isnt utilized. Wont we pass about half the time? Secondly, when he is run blocking, how many of those run plays require him to be that fast? We all know Buges liked big butts and good footwork, so i know decent footwork is mandatory, but top speed is not a top priority in my book. Average speed should suffice for an LT in any system, IMHO. He seems quick but... weak.

Plus, Shanny and his offense will one day be long gone. But we have no other choice for now, so, in Shanny we trust.

Archived