Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Devin Thomas will have a breakout year

vigilante

:doh:

You DO realize there are still 5 months until the regular season starts, don't you?

You do realize that we're now down two draft picks (one this year - one next year) so we have now what? 4 picks for this draft? The patriots have 12!!!! Put that into perspective.

I think we're going to see pretty instantly just how bad we've been at the QB position.

Not just Devin, all the receivers

As much as I hated McNabb - God did I hate watching him shred our secondary and scramble around - whenever we had to play the eagles, I love him as our QB. The man has fire and passion. I'm not so thrilled about his ability to throw dirtballs, but he'll certainly make our WRs look like pro bowlers. I really believe the move will make us more competitive in the NFC East. Of course this all depends on how we put the OL together in the very near future.

The other thing I love about the move is that he'll be extremely competitive when facing the Eagles on their turf. I wouldn't mind beating the hell out of that team more than once a year while McNabb is in a Redskins uniform.

Campbell missed on open receivers constantly, especially Devin Thomas. I remember at least a few occasions where JC's lack of vision prevented what would have been a guaranteed TD had he just lobbed the ball in Thomas' general direction.

Jason could kill so many drives when blatantly over throwing wide open receivers. I don't recall McNabb that inaccurate. McNabb has problems with the short passes - especially when scrambling.

career year....so what are we talking like 400 yards?

"Breakout" year imo would be about 60 catches, 8-900 yds, 8 or so tds. That would be enough to establish them as keepers with potential to get even better, particularly since they've not been allowed to really be part of the offense under Zorn.

Yep. McNabb can read defenses and attack them. The mentality of the offense... wow... it's going to be entirely different.
Teams will actually fear us on offense for the first time in years. No longer will we hear that they played cover 2 the entire game so we had to check down to the backs and take what they gave us. We have a guy that will find the open man and make things happen. I also dont think McNugget is as innacurate as some people think he is.

I think Devin Thomas was in for a strong season with Campbell at QB. I don't think McNabb hurts his chances, but I doubt if he helps much either. Thomas is a good athlete who works hard and showed improvement over the course of last season. Guys like that tend to succeed regardless of which guy is throwing them the ball.

I think Devin Thomas was in for a strong season with Campbell at QB. I don't think McNabb hurts his chances, but I doubt if he helps much either. Thomas is a good athlete who works hard and showed improvement over the course of last season. Guys like that tend to succeed regardless of which guy is throwing them the ball.
Moss had a career year with Brunell throwing him the ball and never got close to that form when Campbell was the Qb. Campbell never established a connection with anyone but Cooley if I had to pick his favorite target. Brunell was a smart qb that new how to get the ball to playmakers. McNugget is the same way. He will find Thomas open more often then Campbell ever did.

I am not trying to bash Campbell now that he is gone but one thing he was not very good at was finding the open man and hitting him often and in stride. I think people will be shocked what a real qb throwing to recievers in stride and that can read defenses looks like.

I think we're going to see pretty instantly just how bad we've been at the QB position.

Not just Devin, all the receivers

Bingo. I agree. I also think fans are going to see that the offensive line is not that bad when you have a QB back there that can read the blitz, change plays, throw to the hot receiver, throw to the open receiver, hit the wide open deep receiver, etc.,..etc..,. etc

Bingo. I agree. I also think fans are going to see that the offensive line is not that bad when you have a QB back there that can read the blitz, change plays, throw to the hot receiver, throw to the open receiver, hit the wide open deep receiver, etc.,..etc..,. etc

And keep the D honest. If they got a little too aggressive last year, no prob, JC will still hold the ball indecisively, toss for 3 yds, or make a terrible throw rather than make them pay.

It's gonna be a sad sight of none of these WR's are as good as we all hope they are. Sure, we've seen flashes of Kelly and Thomas, but they haven't done a whole lot. We've given them the excuses given to JC. I can't help but think they'll be better with McNabb (that's ****ing WEIRD typing that) but they aren't guaranteed to have great seasons all of a sudden. Gonna have to see it on the field first.

exactly. The first clue that we're finally on the right track is that the coach has made replacing JC his first order of business.

Do you know how great it is to have minds like the Shanahans confirm what us stupid laymen have been saying for years now?

QB Understanding:

1. Shanahans

2. Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

3. Others on the board who felt similarly

--

6000000000. Jason supporters

It's gonna be a sad sight of none of these WR's are as good as we all hope they are. Sure, we've seen flashes of Kelly and Thomas, but they haven't done a whole lot. We've given them the excuses given to JC. I can't help but think they'll be better with McNabb (that's ****ing WEIRD typing that) but they aren't guaranteed to have great seasons all of a sudden. Gonna have to see it on the field first.

True. At the least though it should help us figure where exactly they are. That was virtually impossible with Zorn at the helm, so it's been really tough to judge. So maybe we should just be hoping for a "breakout" year in terms of opportunities. Like at least 60 pass attempts to each or something, if game to game they seem to deserve it...

Receptions by year:

D. Thomas

2008 15

2009 25

M. Kelly

2008 3

2009 25

Put them out there, send them on a route, throw to them (even if not wiiiiiide open), let their skill determine their value. If that happens it'll be an improvement in knowledge even if they end up being disappointments.

I have to say the more I think about it, the more this trade is definitely a great one for the Skins.

1.) Mike Shanahan and Kyle know how to get the best out of their QB. The proof: Jake Plummer, Brian Griese, and Jay Cutler had their best seasons with Mike. Plummer NEVER realized his potential until he played with Shanahan. Griese was never as good as he was in Denver with any other team he played for and Cutler needs a vet coach or else he would just go out and do whatever he feels like. If Shanahan could get Plummer and Griese to pro bowls, then I have no doubts about an already elite QB with Shanahan.

2.) A lot of people here are saying McNabb is going to get killed by our bad O-line. I will go out and say that is not true. We will get Okung or Williams and we WELL protect his blindside. Excellent coaching will make our line play above and beyond what they did last season and excellent QB play from McNabb. His knowledge of the WCO and ability to KNOW when to scramble well make our line look a lot better then when Campbell was playing. Campbell had plenty of times where he held the ball too long or decided not to scramble when he should have. Those are NOT flaws in McNabb's game. He gets the ball out quick and can FEEL pressure.

3.) Our coaches as well as McNabb well help Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly and Fred Davis FINALLY reach their immense potential. Having McNabb and Andy Reid sped up the development of Celek, Maclin and DeSean. Having Favre and Childress helped S Rice and Percy Harvin breakout into top notch receivers. Talent was never an issue for Thomas, Davis, and Kelly. McNabb and Shanahan sounds a HELL of a lot better then Campbell and Zorn.

I know a lot of you well wait to see on field and a lot of you have already damned this trade but when this happened, I felt excited for Thomas, Davis and Kelly. They well benefit GREATLY and don;t forget Keenan McCardell is our WR coach!

i hate donovan mcnabb more than anyone, but he will make us better. he really only had one legitimate receiver his time in philly (TO) (please dont say Jackson is legitimate, he cant run routes, he is just fast and does nothing against good corners) and he still put up great numbers. while he will be horribly inaccurate at times, donovan will make our talented wr's live up to their potential

Campbell missed on open receivers constantly, especially Devin Thomas. I remember at least a few occasions where JC's lack of vision prevented what would have been a guaranteed TD had he just lobbed the ball in Thomas' general direction.
I took his comment to mean actual misses (overthrows, etc), though Thomas couldn't hang on to what would've likely been a TD in the Carolina game.

Do you know how great it is to have minds like the Shanahans confirm what us stupid laymen have been saying for years now?

QB Understanding:

1. Shanahans

2. Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

3. Others on the board who felt similarly

--

6000000000. Jason supporters

Don't post if you don't have anything to add to the thread.

The only "breakout" that's going to occur are defensive linemen and linebackers jailbreaking all over our newly minted QB because we still have no offensive line.

Did I suddenly miss the Draft and all of the FA signings after the draft? Or did the draft not even ****ing start yet?

Get a grip dude, the offseason hasn't even ended, and our roster isn't even CLOSE to being formed yet.

Posts like these anger me, people assume we are done building the line this offseason. Ugh

Question is...who is going to have a better year between:

Thomas

Kelly

shoot, may as well throw Mitchell in there...

Thomas has more natural ability than either of them. Especially in terms of speed. He really has elite measurables and his attitude has done a 180 since his rookie year. If he can step up and supplant Moss as the #1 go to guy on this team, it would be HUGE.

Archived