Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tony Dungy says if he were drafting, the QB he would select is......

Dr Drunkenstein

.......Colt McCoy. Didn't Dungy coach some QB in the NFL who was pretty decent? He just might know what he is talking about......

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2010/04/01/one_former_supe.html?cxntfid=blogs_bevo_beat

Tony Dungy, who won a Super Bowl with Indianapolis, is now retired from coaching. But as a blogger and TV analyst, he still has an opinion on the upcoming draft.

Today, he posted a video on who would be his top pick at quarterback — Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow or Colt McCoy,

His answer?

McCoy. Dungy says McCoy has the fewest questionmarks about his skill set and overall health.

Good thing he had Polian, who drafted Manning before Dungy ever got there.

Great coach doesn't have to mean great at predicting how collegians will do in the nfl.

Exactly. When Dungy was in charge of putting an offense together, they blew. He is a defensive minded guy.

If the Rams take Bradford and the Lions take a DT, I could see us going Okung/McCoy. Not what I'd prefer but it certainly would bother me.

Dream scenario for me...I would love for this to happen. Day 1 starter on OL, and a good prospect to sit behind JC. Colt has the skillset that Shanny looks for (mobile, and accurate).

DO IT!

I can see McCoy being the 2nd best QB but he isnt in Bradfords league. I dont even care what we do cause I know Shanny and Bruce have a plan. Im just having fun with all these guessing games. It is nice to be this close to the draft and still have no idea who we will draft. And by doing this it also will make it easier to trade down in the draft if we want to.

Grain of salt.......

Dungy's record with drafting QB's isn't exactly stellar. You have to go back to his Tampa Bay days to see that record (Manning was drafted by Polian, pre-Dungy), but it's still not good. (Shawn King, anyone?)

Oh, please he didn't even pick Manning, He just fell in his lap, I look at their GM for the credit. And anybody would look good with Manning. I look at the Coach as the guy who implements the winning system, The GM as the master at scouting and drafting player potential.

Great coach doesn't have to mean great at predicting how collegians will do in the nfl.

Exactly. He inherited Manning. I'm not trying to say anything bad about Dungy, but judging the way he drafts QBs on Manning isn't accurate.

Exactly Dungy inherited Peyton.

I think Shanny has done a pretty decent job with multiple qb's, so I will trust his judgement on all things qb. I'm not implying he's infallible ...just that if he feels one of these qb's are worth taking be it (Tebow,McCoy,Bradford,LeFevour,Pike or someone else) he will.

Count one notable person out of the Draft Tebow as a QB camp. Dungy's name was being thrown around a lot in that discussion.

I still wouldn't take Dungy's opinion that seriously though. As others have pointed out, Polian was the one calling the shots there, and Dungy's background is in defense.

Sweet mercy......I never implied that Dungy drafted Peyton or did a bang up job drafting QBs in Tampa BUT after spending all of those years with Manning and seeing what allows arguably the greatest QB of all time to perform at an extremely high level it seems to me that his insight is of some value......especially in contrast to some people on this board who blindly worship at the feet of Bradford.

Dungy never even mentioned Clausen. Does that mean he is not in his top three? I can't believe he would have Tebow rated over Clausen. Bradford will be the only pro-bowler out of this years class IMO so I hope we do our best to get him.

Archived