Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Banks' Mock Draft 4.0

Riggo#44

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/03/16/mock.draft.1/index.html

4 - QB Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame Jr. 6-3 223

I've had Oklahoma State offensive tackle Russell Okung to the Redskins in previous mocks, but I'm getting the growing sense Mike Shanahan won't be able to pass on a quarterback who played in a pro-style offense in college and represents life beyond the Jason Campbell era in D.C. I know the Redskins are trying to practice patience and prudence for a change this offseason, but there are limits to everything, and at heart Washington owner Daniel Snyder is still the kid who loves making the biggest splash in the pool.

Is it possible for Banks to mention the Redskins without mentioning Snyder?

Disclaimer: I tried to search -- if this has already been posted, my apologies.

I love how people act like drafting a potential franchise QB is a bad thing. Even if there are questionmarks about the guy for some people, if they feel like he has everything he needs to succeed, isn't this the type of pick they should make? They can't just not draft him because they're too afraid to **** up, scared money don't make money.

I love how people act like drafting a potential franchise QB is a bad thing. Even if there are questionmarks about the guy for some people, if they feel like he has everything he needs to succeed, isn't this the type of pick they should make? They can't just not draft him because they're too afraid to **** up, scared money don't make money.

I agree. Plus, who says tackle is a safe pick? There have been plenty of busts on the OL as well. You have to pick the player you feel is best for your team and live with the consequences.

You know, I go back and forth on this issue. I watched Clausen a lot at ND -- and really love the way the kid plays.

But our O-line sucks SO bad. SO bad.

You know, I go back and forth on this issue. I watched Clausen a lot at ND -- and really love the way the kid plays.

But our O-line sucks SO bad. SO bad.

There are going to be OL available in the 2nd round. You CAN'T pass up on Clausen just because the OL is weak. Indy took Manning with a terrible OL, now look at them. Clausen is a stud QB that only comes along once in a while, we need to make the pick.

Its cuz the media likes to pick on us about something. If we go OL 1st then we are negelcting our need at QB. If we go QB, we are neglecting the OL. So which is it?

I agree with others about the Snyder crap. Snyder does NOT run this team anymore. Its all Shanny and Allen now. If Snyder were still running the show we would've had Peppers, Dansby, and Clifton. So the media needs to stop with that bs

There are going to be OL available in the 2nd round. You CAN'T pass up on Clausen just because the OL is weak. Indy took Manning with a terrible OL, now look at them. Clausen is a stud QB that only comes along once in a while, we need to make the pick.

It is very questionable that there will be a strong LT candidate in the 2nd round. Bucky Brooks uses that as an argument as to why the Lions should select Okung:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816f6846&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

While the argument will be waged that the Lions should pluck Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy at the No. 2 spot based on their needs, the drop-off at offensive tackle is significant from round-to-round and the team would be unable to land a legitimate starter in the second round.

On the other hand, the draft is loaded with defensive tackles in the early rounds, and the team could likely land a potential starter in the second or third round.

It is very questionable that there will be a strong LT candidate in the 2nd round. Bucky Brooks uses that as an argument as to why the Lions should select Okung:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816f6846&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

But he uses that in comparison to the fact that this draft is loaded with DL talent(which it is). You can't say the same about the QB draft class.

Shouldn't the #4 pick in the draft be a "splash in the pool" no matter the position? Anyone drafted must be considered one heck of a player to be there. So what if QB's are considering the sexy pick. I'm sure lot's of people get turned on by massive OL mauling people. I know I do :laugh:

As far as Okung I starting to think he won't even be there at 4. It seems like the lions LOVE him. Will they pass on Suh to get Okung? I think that will be a huge question as the draft approaches. By some of the moves they are making and rumors Jeff Bakus (sp) is moving to LG, I am really starting to think Okung is going to Detroit.

If Bradford and Okung go 1,2, I think Tampa Bay will be doing backflips at 3.

Joe Theisman is on Sirius Blitz saying the Skins will draft OT with their first pick. He says this since we brought in Rex Grossman. He is comparing Rex Grossman to Jay Cutler, saying they are very similar. I don't know if I agree with him on that comparison. He says the QB situation is solved on Washington, so we don't have to go QB with our first pick.

But he uses that in comparison to the fact that this draft is loaded with DL talent(which it is). You can't say the same about the QB draft class.

The argument is about getting a starter from the draft. Whatever you think of our QBs, we don't need a rookie QB to start on day one. On the other hand, when you look at our roster for a LT....

Joe Theisman is on Sirius Blitz saying the Skins will draft OT with their first pick. He says this since we brought in Rex Grossman. He is comparing Rex Grossman to Jay Cutler, saying they are very similar. I don't know if I agree with him on that comparison. He says the QB situation is solved on Washington, so we don't have to go QB with our first pick.

Love Joey T, but with all due respect, Joey T compared Jason to Tom Brady :doh:

I love Jason, but his accuracy and ability to read defenses are his obvious weaknesses. While I think he 's an above average starter, I'm not sure If those are areas you can significantly approve. His accuracy his solid, but you can't miss open guys deep. That is like taking pts off the board. While I think Jason is still improving and is a good/solid starter I would def trade him id the offers right.

Check da sig

Slacky....well said....and couldn't agree with your more. I would only add, we have to realize and I think you get it, that this is a complete organizational rebuild from top to bottom. We have to be committed to the long haul...not the instant gratification.

Slacky....well said....and couldn't agree with your more. I would only add, we have to realize and I think you get it, that this is a complete organizational rebuild from top to bottom. We have to be committed to the long haul...not the instant gratification.

-Which is why you use the top 5 draft pick to acquire a QB you believe could be the future of the franchise. He doesn't have to start next year, we now have Rex who can take the hits behind that line and knows the system, which will allow him to mentor the drafted QB. Use next year's draft or FA to continue shoring up the o-line, don't forget there will probably be a rookie pay-scale in effect so we won't have millions upon millions tied up on a LT once the cap, more than likely comes back in to play.

-No matter who our LT is, or our QB is next year we aren't going to have lots of success. We currently have a top 5 pick, lets use it on a player that can have the most impact possible on the future of the team.

I really think that people don't see how special Clausen truly is. He can literally make any throw he needs to and is one of the most accurate QBs on the run that I have ever seen. He's a smart kid who knows how to read a defense, and I would LOVE to see him wearing B&G for the next 10 years.

I really think that people don't see how special Clausen truly is. He can literally make any throw he needs to and is one of the most accurate QBs on the run that I have ever seen. He's a smart kid who knows how to read a defense, and I would LOVE to see him wearing B&G for the next 10 years.

So would I but we are in an extreme minority of the fans I think. People just seem to hate the kid.

Archived