Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will a better offense make everyone happy?

skinnyles

First off, I hate Sundays this time of year, and can occasionally be caught watching last years games...even those we lost.

While watching a few this weekend it reminded me of how much trouble we had scoring the past few years. I began to wonder if my fellow ES'ers would be satisfied with a team that started averaging 24+ points a game,

even if the defense allowed more and we had a losing season? I think that as we transition to more balance between O and D this might be the case as we re-address the offfense this off season and leave our D relatively intact.

I know I would rather see more points. Period! Thoughts!!

People aren't going to be satisfied until we have several consecutive double-digit win seasons. However, at least a better offense would make watching the games themselves more tolerable. Watching Skins games in recent years has been flat-out brutal.

Considering the Defense has rarely ever shut anybody out, and the Offense rarely ever outscores an opponent...the Skins sound like the anti-love child of the Baltimore Ravens and New Orleans Saints respectively.

At this point, just score some damn points and hope for the best. Even with a great OL due to the current offensive weapons on this team, and yeah I pronounced that "uh-fensive", I can't even begin to imagine a world where this offense does anything well...even with Chris Cooley playing his heart out.

Pretty sad that the 2 best options offensively on the team right now both reside at TE...Cooley and Davis. Looks like the Skins are now the K.C. Chefs of the before Priest days.

];7350156']**** that. I don't care if we win every single game 3-0 JUST WIN.

Then by your thoughts, I hope the Skins go 19-0 and score a NFL record low of 57 points and win the Super Bowl undefeated. Better make sure that the kicker is top notch then, or would it be crappy since they're only scoring 3 pts a game?

Last year, the team spent every available bullet in the gun on defense. The result: less wins than the year before. They spent all their bullets on the D AFTER the coaches and management got together and all agreed, every single one of them, that the OLine was to blame for the dismal performance of the last 8 games of Zorn year 1. They then did nothing to improve the OLine, except to bring in Dockery and get rid of Jansen, leaving three 32+ year old OL waiting for the inevitable season-ending injury, getting another OL from Maryland that wasn't drafted and spending another year hoping that that the last Maryland OL (Heyer) could do something other than pretend to be a revolving door.

They did nothing at all to improve the offense and spent zero picks on the aforementioned terrible OL. Even the Vinny defenders couldn't come up with an excuse for overlooking the OLine in a year of such obvious need.

So if this year, I see them grab a couple of "less" over-the-hill OLine replacements, and see them maybe finally at long last hallelujah actually maybe even draft an OL, then you'll find me among the supporters. Because the last time I looked, the game is still won by the team that scores the most points. And that's something this team could not do without an improvement at OLine.

I'd like to see a better offense. I'm not saying we have to be the Saints or Colts but something that resembles a professional group of players on the offensive side of the ball would be nice.

If we're gunna suck though I'd rather suck with a great offense and crappy defense then vice versa. At least the games would be entertaining then.

And in all honesty the NFL is heading towards being a more offensive based game. People say defense wins championships but the teams that advanced this year were, for the most part, great offenses, including the Super Bowl teams.

I want to see a team that is competitive. Too often, I felt like opposing offenses were playing down to our level because they didn't need to do too much: run the ball, score a couple TDs, play defense, win. If our offense could at least keep opponents honest, make them fight for their wins, I'll be happy.

In other words, losing seasons suck but they suck more when you didn't even have a chance and the other team was playing with you like a cat and a mouse. So yeah, I'd be happier than I am now if the team could score -- even if they still lost. At least at first. :) Sooner or later, we need both production and wins or something is seriously wrong. :)

Here is my concern it seems almost like Shanahan is hoping that we will improve on Offence and regress on D that way we can get one more year of high picks to build this team. I do not like this , if you want to rebuild a team you do not blow up a strength without getting something for it and frankly we got nothing for Griff, nothing for Carter who will not transition to 3-4 based on his previous attempt. and really who esle from this D other than maybe Carlos is gonna get any interest? we were not a superior D based on talent we played well (if conservatively) and had a strong scheme. Now when we crap the bed people are going to realise that but I have a feeling the spin will be "oh well it just means our players were old and we needed to blow it up anyway" lol

Here is my concern it seems almost like Shanahan is hoping that we will improve on Offence and regress on D that way we can get one more year of high picks to build this team. I do not like this...

I don't think he's "hoping" that happens. I'm sure he feels like he's putting our defensive talent, as a whole, into the best position to win. True, maybe some guys get left out. But that happens when you're building a new foundation.

Maybe he could have stayed the course on defense while re-tooling the offense, but I really believe that he would rather go through the pain early on and continually grow from there. I guess that's part of the reason I (and many others here) feel pretty sure he will go after a QB in the draft -- as opposed to using JC as a stop-gap and then introducing a new player in a year or two.

I wish there was a way we could up our 1st rounder next year for Brandon Marshall. Or package some players for him. People are going to b---- about him, but he is going to go to Seattle a be a probowler every year until he retires and go on to be a hall of famer.

I'd also like to look at signing TO.....Put TO with DT, MK and Santana. Yeah I said it, drastic times call for drastic measures. This offense needs to get goin again. I know we have o/l and QB issues, but our WR core has been suspect for a while now. TO can still play at a high level.

Archived