Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RickMaese Twitter:T Mike Williams has agreed to a multi-year deal with the Redskins.

Ajamrani

I went and rewatched some of the games from last year, and the right side was the only side that had any type of push. large holes but rabach and or there was no blocking from the FB. If there was blocking the unblocked guy from the other side of the line because the RB was moving east to west behind the line.

But at the same time if someone has to try and block their man and try to help the man next to him there is a lot of room for error.

With williams working out a whole off season and training camp we will probley see a diffrent player

This. Fact is, most of his focus last offseason was getting the weight off. Now he can spend a full offseason working on his technique.

The quote from Shanahan:

On Williams: "Mike showed a tremendous work ethic and willingness to do whatever the team asked of him, and those are two of the traits we're looking for in Redskins players. We believe that he's only scratched the surface of his abilities so far, and look forward to seeing what he can do after a full offseason in our program."

I think Big Mike will surprise a lot of people this year. Last year he had to loose 100 lbs before he could even think of being in football shape and refining his technique. That is a drastic transformation for the body to go through. When I hear him speak in interviews he sounds very intelligent and seems to have commitment to get better. He has good feet for someone his size and could fit in nicely with the zone blocking scheme after another offseason of conditioning.

I'm surprised both of them are still here, but I suppose they couldn't dump all the linemen.

Chad only got credit for 4 games, but he graded out "middle of the pack" (47 out of 84 Guards) so he wasnt that bad. Not say, Jones/Heyer bad. Williams graded out about 67 out of 84, not so good. Dock was actually 24th in the league, by far our best OLman.

Chad only got credit for 4 games, but he graded out "middle of the pack" (47 out of 84 Guards) so he wasnt that bad. Not say, Jones/Heyer bad. Williams graded out about 67 out of 84, not so good. Dock was actually 24th in the league, by far our best OLman.

I wonder if Stephen Neal was/is considered as a viable option.

Staying with the PFF breakdown, you provided. I'm assuming your numbers are in reference to the PFF stuff, right?

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=G&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1&=2009&=r&=25&=-1

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_player.php?tab=by_player&season=2009&lastname=Neal&surn=Neal&playerid=972

Shannahan's MO is that he likes high ceiling guys and often takes chances in personel decisions (e.g., the draft) because of his belief that he can get the most out of players. Well, BMW certainly has some talent, otherwise he wouldn't have been drafted so high.

Well, maybe at 320-ish (which is only maybe 15 pounds lighter than he is now) he would be the right size for the RT spot?

Either way, the powers that be must have seen something that caught their eye. I'll be on board for this one, but I'm a little skeptical I suppose.

I was thinking Pathos was going to take the RT spot with Dockery at RG, that leaves LG for BMW.

I'll go with him being signed as depth for camp with hopes of being a backup. He did have some games that he showed potential in before he got hurt. I really do wonder what he will be like this year after a full year of being in football shape vs a the shape of a shmoo. Dropping 100 lbs while working out like that has got to be tough. I'm sure he was missing some strength and energy.

I like it.

Williams was actually somewhat solid for us as a run blocker at RG, and he probably isn't a terrible fit even in a ZBS.

It is clear though that Shanahan wants to stay competitive this year, and does NOT think it's a good idea to go with a 100% youth movement on the line (for good reason - the Packers had a lot of line prospects they were high on, so they dumped Clifton and Tauscher. That strategy nearly got Aaron Rodgers killed. They bring back Clifton and Tauscher, boom, they start winning.)

Get veteran starters that can still play - don't worry about age. Build the depth behind them. Have them ready in one or two years to step right in. That's Shanahan's MO; a lot of the young Denver starters from 2008 sat behind a veteran before getting their shot, and if Lepsis had been healthy, I'd bet that Clady would have sat for some games too.

Shannahan's MO is that he likes high ceiling guys and often takes chances in personel decisions (e.g., the draft) because of his belief that he can get the most out of players. Well, BMW certainly has some talent, otherwise he wouldn't have been drafted so high.

Yep.

Look at Mark Schlereth. Shanny got a couple more years out of him more than most would have expected.

Archived