Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

These FA move point to one thing on draft day

jbooma

A QB.

If we do sign these two OL, and it looks like we will. That will then pave the way for Shanny to get his QB in this draft. I like that we are not going after peppers and some of the other big name FA's but also feel this is the beginning of the end of the team we knew last year. Who knows maybe the Rams and Skins can make a deal for JC so we Shanny can get his boy in the draft. I am not sold on Clausen at all.

A QB.

If we do sign these two OL, and it looks like we will. That will then pave the way for Shanny to get his QB in this draft. I like that we are not going after peppers and some of the other big name FA's but also feel this is the beginning of the end of the team we knew last year. Who knows maybe the Rams and Skins can make a deal for JC so we Shanny can get his boy in the draft. I am not sold on Clausen at all.

I tend to agree with you regarding the QB being the draft target for the first round. However, I cant imagine anybody could be sold on Bradford and yet, not be sold on Clausen. I cant think of a category that I dont feel that Clausen is better in. Not a single one!

I'm not going to claim we know exactly what we are doing in the draft yet. Some believe that by picking up these guys we don't have to draft an O-lineman early. I'm still not sure yet. I still feel it can go either way.

Draft a high O line and we have some experienced players to help mentor him now. If we do go the Qb route we may have a "passable line". Verdict is still out on that for me. Right now I feel we are in the same boat as last year. Older players that if we were to have deja-vu could legitametly be out for the season early in next season. I'm still with the youth movement for our O-line.

A QB.

If we get bradford. Memories of heath shuler will be brought back up again. He is a statue in the pocket with a already questionable shoulder. Our offensive line isnt even put together yet and you wanna put a statue QB with a high injury risks behind it and we play in the toughest division in NFL history. We still need to draft o-lineman in the draft. The only other option is trade down for more picks.

"They can then focus on upgrading other positions and will also have the flexibility in the draft to go after the best player available rather than the best one that fills a need."

BPA

As heretical as this may be, with us going after and (theoretically) getting at least two o linemen, I can see us getting a safety as BPA, either via trade down later in the first round, or at 4 if we aren't able to trade down. Then we can get a qb, lb, and cb in the later rounds

this is setting up for exactly what ive wanted. QB at 4, best LT at #36.

ballin!

okay ... a few questions:

are the qb's avaiable this year worthy of #4 picks?

is there better value next year at Qb in the draft? or do you want campble out so bad you will take any qb at any price.

"They can then focus on upgrading other positions and will also have the flexibility in the draft to go after the best player available rather than the best one that fills a need."

BPA

Best Player Available. I hate that term. We cannot draft BPA, our team has way too many needs. We can't use the fourth overall pick in the draft on a player that doesn't address an immediate and dire need. No team drafts BPA without regard to need except maybe the top two or three teams. Even then I don't believe that they do. I believe that all teams take into account need when they draft. If we draft anything other than a quarterback or offensive lineman with the fourth pick I will throw something at the television.

BPA

This. I've said it before, but you really want to go into the draft with as few needs as possible. You do not want to have to depend on the draft to fill a starting position.

It is also why that if Campbell gets traded, it is likely not to happen before the draft.

As heretical as this may be, with us going after and (theoretically) getting at least two o linemen, I can see us getting a safety as BPA, either via trade down later in the first round, or at 4 if we aren't able to trade down. Then we can get a qb, lb, and cb in the later rounds

Yea if Rams take Bradford and the lions who just traded a pick for a DT take Okung we could be looking at Berry,Mckoy,Suh at 4, someone might want one of those guys could trade back or pick a playmaker that would start now instead of later on.

If we get bradford. Memories of heath shuler will be brought back up again. He is a statue in the pocket with a already questionable shoulder. Our offensive line isnt even put together yet and you wanna put a statue QB with a high injury risks behind it and we play in the toughest division in NFL history. We still need to draft o-lineman in the draft. The only other option is trade down for more picks.

no offense ... but we can't act like a bunch of scaredy cats just because we drafted a QB 10 years ago that ended up flopping.

Why does everyone think a QB at #4 has to be the opening day starter? This "scared" mentality drives me nuts ... oooh some one might get a boo-boo.

It's professional football, and if Brafford is not medically cleared by the best surgeon in the country, then no one in the top 10 would draft him.

I'd rather take a chance and go down swinging than "hope" that some other average QB out there can do just enough to not screw up our win/loss column.

Bradford has ALL the intangibles you look for in a QB. Could Bradford vs. Clausen be the next Manning vs. Leaf? Sure.

But I'm gonna be pissed if he's there and we pass up the opportunity to take a stud QB at #4, just because our OL needs help. You get the best player you can, when you can.

The OL will not be fixed in one year, and it will take probably at least 2 off-seasons to completely sure that up. Why wait on a QB if he is there? I'm not suggesting trading in the farm to move up to get him, but i f Bradford is there at #4, we are going to draft him.

A QB.

Another Jbooma reach. All that is out there is misinformation, such as "The Skins will sign Peppers at 12:01 on Friday".

So rumors of a 34 year old tackle who hasn't played 16 games since 2007 and a 30 year old journeyman who's looking for his 4th team tells you that we are taking a QB? :ols:

This is silly even for you.

no offense ... but we can't act like a bunch of scaredy cats just because we drafted a QB 10 years ago that ended up flopping.

Why does everyone think a QB at #4 has to be the opening day starter? This "scared" mentality drives me nuts ... oooh some one might get a boo-boo.

It's professional football, and if Brafford is not medically cleared by the best surgeon in the country, then no one in the top 10 would draft him.

I'd rather take a chance and go down swinging than "hope" that some other average QB out there can do just enough to not screw up our win/loss column.

Bradford has ALL the intangibles you look for in a QB. Could Bradford vs. Clausen be the next Manning vs. Leaf? Sure.

But I'm gonna be pissed if he's there and we pass up the opportunity to take a stud QB at #4, just because our OL needs help. You get the best player you can, when you can.

The OL will not be fixed in one year, and it will take probably at least 2 off-seasons to completely sure that up. Why wait on a QB if he is there? I'm not suggesting trading in the farm to move up to get him, but i f Bradford is there at #4, we are going to draft him.

I'm not going to worry about it, as long as the OL gets taken care of sufficiently and if we are picking the best player for our team, rather than picking a position.

okay ... a few questions:

are the qb's avaiable this year worthy of #4 picks?

is there better value next year at Qb in the draft? or do you want campble out so bad you will take any qb at any price.

From what I've read there are three main quarterbacks that are projected to go in the first round next year. Of course several underclassmen could come out after the end of the 2010 season.

The QB's are Jake Locker from Washington, Andrew Luck from Stanford, and Ryan Mallett from Arkansas. Getting Locker next year may take the number one pick which I hope that we don't have.

Based on that, assuming that Bradford is deemed healthy by Dr. Andrews, I think that he and Clausen are worth the forth overall pick.

I'm not going to worry about it, as long as the OL gets taken care of sufficiently and if we are picking the best player for our team, rather than picking a position.

honestly, I'm not THAT worried about it either. I'd be happy with Okung, trading back or having Bradford fall into our laps.

What I am against is, provided Bradford has been cleared by Dr. Andrews, is that we "pass" on him if he is there.

It's the mentality of being overly cautious out of fear that player won't work out ... EVERY player in this draft is a risk, every player in FA is a risk ... every player on our roster s at risk to injury and not producing on the field.

It's the nature of the sport. HAIL.

Best Player Available. I hate that term. We cannot draft BPA, our team has way too many needs. We can't use the fourth overall pick in the draft on a player that doesn't address an immediate and dire need. No team drafts BPA without regard to need except maybe the top two or three teams. Even then I don't believe that they do. I believe that all teams take into account need when they draft. If we draft anything other than a quarterback or offensive lineman with the fourth pick I will throw something at the television.

I think that's the point. With so many needs, the BPA is bound to address one of those obvious needs. It's like throwing a stone in a pond, it's bound to hit water.

Another Jbooma reach. All that is out there is misinformation, such as "The Skins will sign Peppers at 12:01 on Friday".

So rumors of a 34 year old tackle who hasn't played 16 games since 2007 and a 30 year old journeyman who's looking for his 4th team tells you that we are taking a QB? :ols:

This is silly even for you.

You are the one with all the crazy reaches not me :)

It makes sense why would you invest money in Clifton and then pick up another OL at 4. You can still get a decent OL in the draft in the second round. If Jason was their man then wouldn't they want to sign him to a longterm deal now? If Bradford does not go #1 then the skins will pick him at 4, and if he is gone they will trade down to get Clausen, or hopefully the saftey from Tenn!!!

Archived