Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Clifton to visit Redskins

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cliftonvisitingredskins030410&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Source: Clifton to visit Redskins

The Washington Redskins will try to move quickly to fill the void left by the retirement of left tackle Chris Samuels(notes) by having free agent Chad Clifton(notes) visit Friday, an NFL source said.

Clifton is weighing whether to return to Green Bay or sign with a new team after receiving an offer worth approximately $5 million a year from the Packers. Clifton is hoping for somewhere closer to $7 million per season with at least $20 million in the first three years of any deal.

Clifton has played his entire 10-year career with the Packers, who are in danger of losing the two starters from the left side of their line. The Packers put only a second-round tender on restricted free agent guard Daryn Colledge(notes) and he may receive interest from another team, multiple NFL sources said this week.

The Redskins officially lost Samuels to retirement Thursday after he underwent an injury-plagued 2009 season.

Pass. I'll take Russell Okung at 4 instead. I'm sick of going after washed up old o-linemen! Why can't we give a rookie a chance??? EVER?!?!

Ummmm....Don't we need two starting tackles?? Wouldn't it make more sense to take the Bmore approach with Oher astart your rookie tackle over on the right side before moving him to the blindside?

Ummmm....Don't we need two starting tackles?? Wouldn't it make more sense to take the Bmore approach with Oher astart your rookie tackle over on the right side before moving him to the blindside?

I think it depends on the Tackle. Oher was more of a big mauler when he came out but didn't seem to have the best footwork and speed so he fit better at RT. Once he got to the point where he was coached up and his footwork was more polished and quicker they were able to kick him out to LT and he did OK. A guy like Okung is more of a natural pass protector with very good technique and footwork. If we drafted him, depending on how he looked at camp, etc, I'd rather start him right off at LT.

WTF the packers had a worse OL then ours.

Clifton has consistently been their best Olineman. When he was out of commission, that OL fell apart in Green Bay, similar to how ours fell apart when we lost Chris Samuels.

I personally would love the move. The guy has been a very solid tackle who could be had a relatively cheap price. It gives us new veteran blood that can act as a stopgap as we continue to revamp our offensive line.

Bring in 2 guys in the draft, maybe a couple of interior linemen in FA with Clifton, and I'll be stoked for year 1 of Operation: REBUILD OL :thumbsup:

Clifton wasn't the reason the Packers o-line has struggled recently.

Clifton at RT with Okung at LT?

And then a top RB or C/OG in the 2nd round?

Sounds pretty damn good to me.

Music to my ears, Sparty. :D

WTF the packers had a worse OL then ours.

The logic of this statement is much too simple. I mean aren't there other factors involved? Coaching? Chemistry? Offensive scheme?

Jason Peters allows 11.5 sacks in Buffalo. Philly trades for him and they rebuild one of the best lines in the league in only one season while he goes to another Pro-Bowl.

Shanahan and son are guru's when it comes to developing chemistry along the offensive line.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Clifton ranked the 46th OT on there, out of 77 OTs in total.

OTs he's ranked ahead of? Phil Loadholt (47th), Marcus McNeil (50th), Flozell Adams (51st), Sam Baker (55th), and David Diehl (63rd).

Clifton's not a great LT, but he would be a solid LT for the moment and he'd certainly be a respectable RT.

Maybe I'm confused here, but why is Clifton being called an injury liability? I know, I know... he had injury marred 2009, but in the six years prior to this last year, going back to 2003, he has only missed two games. Two games? In six years? Who on our line has had that kind of durability? Not Samuels... Not Thomas... Definitely not the revolving door we've had at RT. Rabach has been solid, healthwise, but other than him, we've had nothing but o-line on the fly for the last 4-5 years...

Most importantly, what is Chad Clifton's current injury status? Is he recovered...fully...from his problems this last year? Was it an injury that might be a recurring issue? If Shanny is happy with the answers to these questions, then I am happy to have Mr. Clifton! BTW, everyone... who is our starting LT right now? Back-up? Well? Samuels just retired, and Levi is an UFA... We don't have a LT on the roster... At best, you could say Heyer is the backup at LT, but he is starting at RT?!?!? We need about 5 NEW additions to our O-line... I for one, hope Clifton is one of them...

Maybe I'm confused here, but why is Clifton being called an injury liability? I know, I know... he had injury marred 2009, but in the six years prior to this last year, going back to 2003, he has only missed two games. Two games? In six years? Who on our line has had that kind of durability? Not Samuels... Not Thomas... Definitely not the revolving door we've had at RT. Rabach has been solid, healthwise, but other than him, we've had nothing but o-line on the fly for the last 4-5 years...

Most importantly, what is Chad Clifton's current injury status? Is he recovered...fully...from his problems this last year? Was it an injury that might be a recurring issue? If Shanny is happy with the answers to these questions, then I am happy to have Mr. Clifton! BTW, everyone... who is our starting LT right now? Back-up? Well? Samuels just retired, and Levi is an UFA... We don't have a LT on the roster... At best, you could say Heyer is the backup at LT, but he is starting at RT?!?!? We need about 5 NEW additions to our O-line... I for one, hope Clifton is one of them...

Basically, Clifton isn't a splashy hire like Peppers or Dansby. And it would fill a need temporarily at a spot like OT, which isn't very high profile to begin with unless a guy is a young stud (and you can generally only trade for those).

So that's why some people will be a little down on this news. I think expectations that Snyder was going to toss money left and right to everyone available were a little out of hand.

Archived