Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Redskins free agency plan: just say no

themurf

peppers030210.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Since the day he took over the Washington Redskins back in 1999 there are two absolute truths that we can say about owner Daniel Snyder.

First, he really wants to win. Like, really, really badly. We don’t think anyone can question that. Simply put, Snyder has never been afraid to outspend the competition in pursuit of this franchise’s fourth Lombardi Trophy.

The other thing we can say about him is that Snyder is absolutely addicted to star appeal. During his decade plus in charge, Snyder has never met a big name he couldn’t envision wearing the burgundy and gold.

We bring this up because Friday is the start of NFL free agency. And this year, like every other year, the biggest names available on the open market will once again be linked to the Redskins.

Free agents looking for a payday love hearing that Snyder’s plane is fueled up and ready to go. Agents dream of receiving a call from Redskins Park at 12:01 a.m. and hearing the following sentence, “Mr. Snyder would like to speak with you about one of your clients.” It’s the worst-kept secret in the NFL today. The Redskins owner has a wad of cash burning a hole in his pocket and, if you play your cards right, he’ll happily make it rain for you.

If you’ve ever been to the Pro Bowl or had a good game against the Redskins (cough*Antwan Randle El*cough) and are no longer wanted by your team, just bat your eyelashes in the general direction of Ashburn, Va., and you could be in line for a minimum deal of five years, $25 million. We would list a dozen or so examples of this, but honestly, we don’t want to crack open the liquor cabinet this early on a Tuesday morning.

So naturally there are reports that the Redskins have their sights set on top free agent prize, defensive end Julius Peppers. It’s no different than a year ago when the big-name player was Albert Haynesworth. If you’re a writer, just put out your Redskins-free agency template and fill in the blanks.

But here’s the thing – it’s not supposed to be this way anymore. The Redskins finally took steps to become a professionally-run organization when they let go of Vinny Cerrato and Jim Zorn in favor of Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan.

Everyone knows that the Redskins have been nothing more than a fantasy football team for a decade or so. But the Allen-Shanahan combo was supposed to kill that trend. No longer would Redskins fans have to settle for “Offseason championships,” followed by a sub-.500 season.

No, we were led to believe that we were now in good hands with folks who know how to win Super Bowls. Long-term vision was supposed to replace the “we’re just one player away” quick-fix mentality. These aren’t supposed to be men who fall for marquee names looking to cash in on what they’ve done, not what they’ll do next.

We hate to say it, but if there’s any truth to the rumors that the ‘Skins are hoping to land Peppers, then it’s safe to say that nothing has changed at Redskins Park. The names calling the shots might be different, but we’re ultimately in for more of the same once football season rolls around again.

It’s funny, the country, for the moment at least, cares about hockey again. Watching Ryan Miller and the rest of Team USA make their improbable Olympic run temporarily captivated the nation and had casual sports fans tuning in to see just how far those scrappy underdogs could go.

We bring Team USA up for good reason. Take a look at their roster. You won’t see an all-star team. You won’t find a collection of the biggest names. Instead, you’ll find players handpicked to play a very specific role.

They might not sell as many jerseys, but they’re each there for good reason. Each player is a piece to the puzzle. Other teams might have more talent or bigger names, but when everyone on Team USA works together in that specific system (a system, by the way, tailor-made to best utilizes those player

Click here for the full article.

I agree that signing a big name just because he's a big name is bad for the team, but if Shanahallen have looked at our roster, and who's available in the draft and FA, and determine that a big name is the right fit for us, then I'm ok with it. As in, if we needed Peppers at DE (which we don't) I would be ok with the signing if both Allen and Shanahan signed off on it. However, just getting a big name because he's a big name isn't the way to do it.

The other thing we can say about him is that Snyder is absolutely addicted to star appeal. During his decade plus in charge, Snyder has never met a big name he couldn’t envision wearing the burgundy and gold.

I take issue with this view from the standpoint that he hasn't chosen names for the sake of names since 2000. While he has signed some names, for the most part they have made sense from a football perspective. Some of those names (Trotter, Archuletta) were actually pushed for by the coaching staff.

As for change, I'm not sure what kind of change you are expecting. No matter who is in charge, Snyder is going to endorse an aggressive approach and will continue to persue whoever is the best on the market that fits the needs of the team. I don't see too many FO guys and coaches who would run counter to that. They always want the best players they can get for their team.

There are two types of "Big Name" players. Those in the prime of their careers and those in the twilight of their careers. The problem with the Redskins is that they haven't been able to differentiate between the two.

Quoted for truth.

And there's still a lot of fluff out there that people are buying into & becoming nervous about. Where would you even put Peppers at with Rak & Carter on the ends & Carter coming off a career year.

great article... the way I see it, if we go on a spending spree that has been typical of this organization since synder took over, then it's one of two conclusions for me:

1. it doesn't matter who we hire, synder will always be calling the shots as far as FA is concerned...

or

2. it doesn't matter who the GM is, if you have an owner willing to outbid other teams, they are no different in wanting the big name stars...

Ignoring free agents is not the answer. The problem for the Redskins in the past has been player evaluation. It does not matter whether you take a chance on a first round draft pick or trade that pick for a young Pro Bowl type player. Both are a crap shoot unless you can successfully evaluate the players worth to your team. If all those free agents signed during the past ten years panned out, there would be no criticism over signing free agents. And since about 2003, Snyder has not been the one picking the players...he has left it to the coaches and the front office. He may negotiate the contract but the blame/praise for the actual player rests on the coaches and front office staff responsible for selecting the player.

I have no problems with the Redskins going crazy in free agency as long as they improve their ability to pick players who will contribute as needed for the team.

I am not sure the Dan is the one wanting peppers... it sounds like it is Haslett who wants him.

And according to some in the media, Shanahan wants LT. I mean, he did mention his name in the press conference. :silly:

Yeah, there is a lot of FUD out there.

And there's still a lot of fluff out there that people are buying into & becoming nervous about. Where would you even put Peppers at with Rak & Carter on the ends & Carter coming off a career year.

Well, if the plan is to go to a 3-4, you'd think a guy like Peppers could play DE in that system, with Carter and Rak playing OLB.

I could envision that. Now, the question is, is that what Peppers wants to do?

Peppers does want too play for a 3-4 team. Haslett could move him around. What team would want to face RAK, HAYNESWORTH, AND PEPPERS?

after free agency, rarely does anyone want to face us on paper... it's in person that we have trouble with...

great article... the way I see it, if we go on a spending spree that has been typical of this organization since synder took over, then it's one of two conclusions for me:

1. it doesn't matter who we hire, synder will always be calling the shots as far as FA is concerned...

or

2. it doesn't matter who the GM is, if you have an owner willing to outbid other teams, they are no different in wanting the big name stars...

I think you're on to something with your second point. I truly believe, if you're a general manager working for a guy who has no issue throwing money around, you're more inclined to roll the dice and try things you wouldn't otherwise normally go for.

Maybe the temptation is just too great. They look at the situation and say, "Why would I handcuff myself when my boss is openly inviting me to spend his money?" So Julius Peppers is on speed dial. Same with Darren Sproles or Darren Sharper or any other Darren that might help.

The smart move would be to see who, if anyone, in free agency can help turn your franchise around, but it's a lot more fun to embrace a "go big or go home" mentality with all those blank checks lying around.

Thanks for sharing. Good stuff.

im not sure signing peppers is the way to go but we shall see. that being said, working in the 3-4, you could have rak, haynesworth, and peppers up front and move carter back olb.i think carter is a better olb than rak.

Actually, the way I could visualize it right now is Peppers, Big Al and Daniels up front, with Rak and Carter as the two OLB with Rocky and Fletcher in the middle.

This is assuming that there aren't more changes (like Macintosh getting traded.)

i think carter is a better olb than rak.

I think that this is false. Rak will make a great rushing olb in the 3-4, and we know after last season that he can be relied upon to cover in a pinch if he has to. Carter, on the other hand, was horrendous in the 3-4 with San Fran as an olb, if what I've read is correct.

Add to this that Spanos was the LB coach of the steelers, who have olb's who are great pass rushers and so-so in coverage, and I think that they'll both fit well enough in THIS scheme, if Carter is kept, but that Rak is the better fit overall.

Actually, the way I could visualize it right now is Peppers, Big Al and Daniels up front, with Rak and Carter as the two OLB with Rocky and Fletcher in the middle.

This is assuming that there aren't more changes (like Macintosh getting traded.)

you know, i had considered that, and should the shan decide to do something like that i would trust his judgement. to be honest though ..... im not really that big on daniels. he is an average de at best in my opinion, but yes i agree that having carter and rak on the outside could be deadly but i worry about pass coverage with rak. sure he is young and will no doubt improve with time. but if he has a weakness i think that is it.

you know, i had considered that, and should the shan decide to do something like that i would trust his judgement. to be honest though ..... im not really that big on daniels. he is an average de at best in my opinion, but yes i agree that having carter and rak on the outside could be deadly but i worry about pass coverage with rak. sure he is young and will no doubt improve with time. but if he has a weakness i think that is it.

I think that's definitely his main weakness. But as I said a few posts back, his new position coach has worked recently with a terrific Steelers line-backing corps that is known to be great in the pass-rushing department, but lacking in the coverage area. So scheme can cover those types of things to a degree. And as he'll be rushing the QB 800+ times this season, you won't see him covering too much I don't think.

Rak is too small to be a 3-4 DE. Same goes with Carter. 3-4 DEs are built more like Daniels.

Again it begs the question if that really is the best fit for Peppers and if that is really what he wants to do. I have a feeling that he envisions himself as a 3-4 OLB, and that seems to be a position that we have too many candidates at.

well i definately see yalls pov's. im not so well versed with the 3-4. and to be honest im not particularly in favor of switching, but thats just a personal thing i guess. but i agree that yall may be right and i could be way off base.

Rak is too small to be a 3-4 DE. Same goes with Carter. 3-4 DEs are built more like Daniels.

Again it begs the question if that really is the best fit for Peppers and if that is really what he wants to do. I have a feeling that he envisions himself as a 3-4 OLB, and that seems to be a position that we have too many candidates at.

I can only see it happening if they are trying to deal Carter after his career year. Otherwise, you're right, I think that's too many talented bodies not on the field at all times.

At the same time, the readers of the tea leaves seem to think this might be fluff, the Peppers stuff, and recently asked where he would even play after Carter had a career year. So that gives me pause.

Aren't they switching to the 3-4? I thought Carter was horrible at standing up playing LB in San Fran in 3-4? I thought thats why they did not resign him.

I can only see it happening if they are trying to deal Carter after his career year. Otherwise, you're right, I think that's too many talented bodies not on the field at all times.

To be honest, I've thought about the posibility of trading Carter. Certainly given his age, it is a posibility in my eyes.

At the same time, the readers of the tea leaves seem to think this might be fluff, the Peppers stuff, and recently asked where he would even play after Carter had a career year. So that gives me pause.

Right now, the only thing driving the Peppers stuff, as far as I can see, is Haslett's comments.

Archived