Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hockey Leagues at Kettler

hokie4redskins

Any ESers play adult hockey at Kettler? I'm taking the plunge and signing up but it seems like quite an ordeal.

I sent a few emails and voicemails to the good folks at Kettler but received no response and Kettler's website isn't all that clear. I even went there to talk to someone and was urged to contact the same people I already emailed.

I did find this brochure on the website (second page):

http://www.kettlercapitalsiceplex.com/images/Hockey%20Spring%202010.pdf

Used to play roller hockey all the time. Can't skate backwards. I'd imagine I'd be a good ice skater with all the pads on.

From what I've gathered, I basically need to do (or clarify) the following:

1) Register with USA Hockey. Don't think Kettler will allow you to use facilities otherwise.

2) Enroll in their Learn to Skate program. Does public skate suffice?

3) Enroll in their Adult skills & drills. Earliest session is April 7 - May 12. So that means I'll have to complete my "Learn to skate" program in the next 5 weeks. Do they give some certificate for that? What is considered minimum requirements for skating abilities before you join a team? I'm assuming public skate doesn't count. Though, the Skills and Drills sessions includes a 6 pass practice card for public skate. Not sure what the hell that means or if it fulfills the skating prerequisite for S&D and league play. Also, can I skip S&D or is it required? I played for 10 years but not on ice. My stick handling should be okay.

4) When does the spring schedule usually start? Not clear on Kettler's website. They just have Fall 2009 results and Winter 2010 unless I'm missing something. If I'm not finished with S&D until 5/12, does that pretty much put me out of Spring Hockey? Is there summer hockey or am I SOL until Fall?

5) I'd imagine Kettler's pro shop is a rip off. Where do you get your gear? Do you use a caged mask?

6) Do they just randomly throw you on a team/league?

Any advice is truly appreciated. Thanks.

Here are a couple answers.

1. roller and ice hockey are only similar in that they use a stick. Don't mean to be an ass but saying your are good at roller but cannot skate backwards means the transition to ice is going to be rough. I'd go to a ton of stick and puck sessions before signing up for a league. You are more dangerous to yourself and other people if you cannot skate properly and try to step into a league.

It's not impossible but the strides are different, so is stopping and overall ice hockey is way more of a team based game then roller.

Kettler is going to be packed this year with Prince William being shut down. My team was debating going there but their league has been horrific at returning calls.

I happen to like Kettler's shop. I don't think its a rip off but obviously more than online. Skates I always buy in person. Protective gear varies online or instore but in general always try to support your local hockey store.

I tend to always use a cage because most adult league players are careless with their sticks. Plus I am not a professional I have work in the morning.

Here are a couple answers.

1. roller and ice hockey are only similar in that they use a stick. Don't mean to be an ass but saying your are good at roller but cannot skate backwards means the transition to ice is going to be rough. I'd go to a ton of stick and puck sessions before signing up for a league. You are more dangerous to yourself and other people if you cannot skate properly and try to step into a league.

It's not impossible but the strides are different, so is stopping and overall ice hockey is way more of a team based game then roller.

Kettler is going to be packed this year with Prince William being shut down. My team was debating going there but their league has been horrific at returning calls.

I happen to like Kettler's shop. I don't think its a rip off but obviously more than online. Skates I always buy in person. Protective gear varies online or instore but in general always try to support your local hockey store.

I tend to always use a cage because most adult league players are careless with their sticks. Plus I am not a professional I have work in the morning.

Well, certainly wasn't trying to imply it'd be an easy transition. I was just trying to figure out if it will be feasible to be playing on a team in league by summer 2010. Thanks for the input though.

Well, certainly wasn't trying to imply it'd be an easy transition. I was just trying to figure out if 2010 to be playing on a team, in a league, is feasible. Thanks for the input though.

Yeah you just see a lot of guys, and I was one of them back in the day, that oh I use to be really good at roller try to step onto a league and you just put other players at risk. I just started doing snps and working on my skating for about a year before I dared entered a low adult league.

I would get down your core skating and that has to includes skating backwards before ever considering stepping into a league.

The most dangerous parts of adult leagues are full grown men that cannot control their skating. I've seen way more injuries to themselves and other players because of it.

Yeah you just see a lot of guys, and I was one of them back in the day, that oh I use to be really good at roller try to step onto a league and you just put other players at risk. I just started doing snps and working on my skating for about a year before I dared entered a low adult league.

I would get down your core skating and that has to includes skating backwards before ever considering stepping into a league.

The most dangerous parts of adult leagues are full grown men that cannot control their skating. I've seen way more injuries to themselves and other players because of it.

Duly noted. I won't mention roller hockey ever again.

Duly noted. I won't mention roller hockey ever again.

haha it's not bad to mention we all started somewhere. I played roller in college.

One thing that helped me out a lot as silly as it may sound was to go to the stick and pucks where are the squirts and little kids would come to. Mt. Vernon had tons in the AM sessions on weekends.

You always gotta keep your head up and stop and start to keep from hitting them so it really helps your skating.

if you ever want to go to a SNP at mt. vernon let me know. I'd be happy to go with ya and maybe give some pointers or at least be able to tell you if you could skate at a C level adult league.

I took a couple months off of ice for $$ reasons and have been going to some SNPs recently to get my legs back under me.

From what I've read over on the unofficial Caps boards the people over at Kettler are almost impossible to get in contact with.

I think I remember them saying the only way was the call the guy in charge at like 8-9am as soon as he comes into work.

I'm starting skating classes and trying to get in a hockey league (beginner league) somewhere by the Fall - if I feel like my skating is good enough to do so.

I'm taking up the same thing, except I intend on playing at Fairfax Ice Arena. I got my skates there but I'll probably buy much of the protective gear online.

As far as leagues go, I don't think the "learn to skate" and "hockey clinic" are really necessary. It would be great to go to some stick and puck or open skate sessions to get better acclimated.

Speaking of which, does anybody know of any good stick and puck sessions in NoVA? I can skate fairly well but I've never handled a puck on the ice in my entire life.

haha it's not bad to mention we all started somewhere. I played roller in college.

One thing that helped me out a lot as silly as it may sound was to go to the stick and pucks where are the squirts and little kids would come to. Mt. Vernon had tons in the AM sessions on weekends.

You always gotta keep your head up and stop and start to keep from hitting them so it really helps your skating.

if you ever want to go to a SNP at mt. vernon let me know. I'd be happy to go with ya and maybe give some pointers or at least be able to tell you if you could skate at a C level adult league.

I took a couple months off of ice for $$ reasons and have been going to some SNPs recently to get my legs back under me.

Might do that, thanks. First thing's first though. Buying my equipment this week. Skills and Drills registration starts next week for the April 7th session.

Now just need to figure out how I can qualify for that in one month. Kettler doesn't clarify. Wish they'd call me back.

Kettler's pro shop seemed pretty expensive for skates when I went. I don't know if they had different skates that weren't on display but I would imagine they'd be more expensive than most pro shops in the area.

SS is right that Fairfax seemed much more reasonable if they have your size in whatever skate you want. I've also heard great things about Skatequest in Reston.

I'm taking up the same thing, except I intend on playing at Fairfax Ice Arena. I got my skates there but I'll probably buy much of the protective gear online.

As far as leagues go, I don't think the "learn to skate" and "hockey clinic" are really necessary. It would be great to go to some stick and puck or open skate sessions to get better acclimated.

Speaking of which, does anybody know of any good stick and puck sessions in NoVA? I can skate fairly well but I've never handled a puck on the ice in my entire life.

Reston and Ashburn Ice House have a lot of open stick 'n shoot time slots

I'll have to look into that. I work from 9-7 every weekday. Do you know if they have any that are later in the day?

One of the things I really like about Fairfax is their open skates on weekdays that go from 8:30-10:00. Fits into my schedule perfectly.

Big fan of Mt Vernon since it is pretty close to Springfield. I live in Springfield and head up there almost every weekend.

Big fan of Mt Vernon since it is pretty close to Springfield. I live in Springfield and head up there almost every weekend.

After at looking at all 3, the best place for SNP appears to be Mt Vernon (as far as my schedule goes). They have night sessions from 7-8:30 and weekend sessions on both Saturday and Sunday some times.

Looks like I'll be picking up a stick from Fairfax Ice Arena this week. I'm shooting lefty god dammit! :pfft:

I used to skate a lot at Fairfax, but it's just too much to get there during the week with rush hour. For public skating, I go to Kettler during the week on my lunch break from 11:00am - 12:30pm on the days they have it. The ice is empty so it's a good day to practice new skills (obviously skating only).

I agree though, the kettler site stinks, and the staff is sub par. Instructors are not bad though.

Weak.

I have played hockey my whole life including adult hockey at Piney Orchard prior to the caps move.

Adult hockey is not dangerous.

Get in a "C" league or whatever they call the low end league. Lots of bad skaters and a few hot shots who aren't man enough to play in the league where they belong.

Adult hockey is not "dangerous". But if you can't skate at all, most teams don't want you. :D

Archived